Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-31-2005, 08:56 PM

Default Re: I am eternally running bad at stud (no content).

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Whining about losing. That should have been obvious from the NO CONTENT remark in the subject line.

[/ QUOTE ]

It DID make for an interesting thread. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL
Old 08-31-2005, 10:17 PM

You played 100 hands at 2-4 and lost $200. You lost $25 on the antes and $34 on the bring-in for $59. So you lost another $141, or 35 BB's, on the hands you played.

I've had more sessions than I can remember where I've won 1-2% of my hands after 150 hands. That's 5-7 hands out of 150. Usually they're folded to me with no pots. I've had exactly 2 long winning streaks that would even come close to the losing streaks I've had. If poker was fair, I'd be up hundreds of BB's. Instead, I've always been slightly above break even, can't figure out for the life of me how and looking at you complaining about a bad session.

If you're a real player, get back in the game and prove it.
Old 08-31-2005, 10:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
PS...I also wouldn't blow the inmates of any cell block no matter how far down I was. Classy!

[/ QUOTE ]

Your internet privileges should be revoked for not being able to recognize a joke.

BTW Beer, drove by San Quentin the other day and told the guys that you were on your way. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 08-31-2005, 11:33 PM

Hey Beer - you shoulda said Alcatraz.
Old 09-01-2005, 12:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Whining about losing. That should have been obvious from the NO CONTENT remark in the subject line.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL

[/ QUOTE ]

Not that I post here all the time, but, interesting, maybe,but definitely uncharacteristic of the usual cordial posts of the stud forum. I don't really remember a pissing contest here. We're all acting like holdem players.
Old 09-01-2005, 07:21 AM

As some of the best poker players have said, the game is not about winning in the short term, it's about making good decisions. As long as you do that, you are going to win in the long term. It's really important to get away from worrying about your session results, because it can lead to two things -- the first and most serious is going on various forms of tilt. The second, and more insidious, can be developing a "low variance" (aka weak tight) playing style that can mean you'll have more winning sessions but win less overall. Both of these issues, related to being results oriented, can and do turn players with excellent knowledge from winners to losers. It's really just a mental thing, like having the discipline to fold your split 10s when a K raises and a J calls in front of you.
Old 09-01-2005, 07:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL

[/ QUOTE ]

Not that I post here all the time, but, interesting, maybe,but definitely uncharacteristic of the usual cordial posts of the stud forum. I don't really remember a pissing contest here. We're all acting like holdem players.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it's much less "I'm better than you" and much more "I don't believe you very rarely lose"
Old 09-01-2005, 07:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
As some of the best poker players have said, the game is not about winning in the short term, it's about making good decisions. As long as you do that, you are going to win in the long term. It's really important to get away from worrying about your session results, because it can lead to two things -- the first and most serious is going on various forms of tilt. The second, and more insidious, can be developing a "low variance" (aka weak tight) playing style that can mean you'll have more winning sessions but win less overall. Both of these issues, related to being results oriented, can and do turn players with excellent knowledge from winners to losers. It's really just a mental thing, like having the discipline to fold your split 10s when a K raises and a J calls in front of you.

[/ QUOTE ]

I know, I know. I try not to let it affect me play. And weak tight is the last thing I'd be. I'm much closer to LAG.
Old 09-01-2005, 11:21 AM

Becoming LAG in response to a losing session is a form of tilt, as you know. I actually hear people say, in live games, "I can't win with my good hands, might as well play my bad ones". That is tilt, plain and simple. After all, if your goal is just to win pots, you'd play every hand!

The low variance thing is more subtle, and when I hear someone like th poster who claims to almost never have a losing session, I think (a) his statement does not conform with reality as I understand it and (b) to the extent it may be true, it could be he's playing a lower variance but lower long term EV style because it makes him feel better short term.

Assuming your are adequately bankrolled and psychologically stable, it's pretty much always best to play the most +EV way possible.
Old 09-01-2005, 11:28 AM

Default Worst thread ever....

I just wanted everyone to know that this entire thread totally sucks. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

Mike Emery