Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-29-2005, 06:35 AM

Default Re: Bad/stupid/improbable scenes of other wise good movies

Frog Info

[ QUOTE ]
Here are some of the more unusual cases - a small sampling from thousands of reports over the years - that defy all rational explanation.

Frogs

* In 1873, Scientific American reported that Kansas City, Missouri was blanketed with frogs that dropped from the sky during a storm.
* Minneapolis, Minnesota was pelted with frogs and toads in July, 1901. A news item stated: "When the storm was at its highest... there appeared as if descending directly from the sky a huge green mass. Then followed a peculiar patter, unlike that of rain or hail. When the storm abated the people found, three inches deep and covering an area of more than four blocks, a collection of a most striking variety of frogs... so thick in some places [that] travel was impossible."
* The citizens of Naphlion, a city in southern Greece, were surprised one morning in May, 1981, when they awoke to find small green frogs falling from the sky. Weighing just a few ounces each, the frogs landed in trees and plopped into the streets. The Greek Meteorological Institute surmised they were picked up by a strong wind. It must have been a very strong wind. The species of frog was native to North Africa!
* In 1995, reports Fortean Times Online, Nellie Straw of Sheffield, England, was driving through Scotland on holiday with her family when they encountered a severe storm. Along with the heavy rain, however, hundreds of frogs suddenly pelted her car.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've read something about this before. Apparently it has been a freak occurence when a small tornado/hurricane/storm goes through lake/swampland and picks them up and eventually drops them somewhere.
Old 08-29-2005, 07:00 AM

independence day sucks, but one scene where will smith steals a chopper, then finds his wife in the rubble of LA the next scene that sucked more then the rest.
Old 08-29-2005, 07:51 AM

Seeing as you guys have decided to discuss this further, I will elaborate on why I hated it.

I understand the point. I hate the point. Just because it's not some absurd non sequitur doesn't mean it's not a severe flaw in the film.

You have several very well-done, interweaving HUMAN plot themes, each of which could actually merit its own (small, independent) film. The humanity is what's great about the movie. Then the frogs, a seemingly arbitrary force majure, if you will. It's dissatisfying. To me, at least.
Old 08-29-2005, 07:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
1.McClain is talking with his wife on the phone at the airport...he is supposed to be at Dulles Airport in Washington DC...but the pay phone says Pacific Bell which is in the West Coast.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're not going to believe this, but I noticed that.

You know what else I notice? The relection of the camera crew in windows. ALL THE FREAKIN TIME. It's actually a curse.
Old 08-29-2005, 09:30 AM

The striptease at the end of Slapshot. Just let them fight already, no one cares about Braden impressing his wife.
Old 08-29-2005, 10:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I always hated the montage part in Scarface where they fast forward Tony's rise to the top, showing him buying new clothes, cars, etc. The music is so cheesy. It kills me.

DN

[/ QUOTE ]
This is possibly the greatest montage ever filmed. Its great.
Old 08-29-2005, 10:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
This one bothers me a lot:

Kill Bill I, The bride and Vernita Green are fighting. Vernita Green is a deadly assasin and she fires at Uma through the box of cereal from 5 feet away and misses her??? WTF? Couldn't Quentin have thought of something plausible?

Does stuff like this bother anyone else?

[/ QUOTE ]

there was a toy in the cereal box made of metal that the bullet deflected off
Old 08-29-2005, 10:07 AM

There's always stuff like that. The end of 48 Hours always kills me: "I don't believe it! I GOT SHOT!" How stupid is that?

In "Hard-Boiled", the fantastic John Woo actioner with Chow Yun-Fat and Tony Leung, there is an assasin who uses a target pistol which only holds one shot. That's great, but in the scene with him and Yun-Fat, he keeps missing. Reload, miss. Reload, miss. I'm sorry, anyone who takes a gun like that to a fight does so because he knows how to shoot it.

And, yeah, the end of Major League where Hays scores from second on a bunt single is the silliest thing in the world.
Old 08-29-2005, 10:09 AM

The resurrection scene at the end of Matrix 1. Movie good, terrible cheese to leave me pissed off at the end.

Edit: And I agree 100% with Rushmore about Magnolia
Old 08-29-2005, 10:29 AM

Gone in 60 seconds, the car jump at the end was so over the top, the car might as well have sprouted wings and flew over the traffic.

Mission Impossible, this whole movie was pretty unrealistic, but flying a helicopter through a train tunnel was just ridiculous.