Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-26-2005, 07:50 PM

Default Re: Clarification needed

[ QUOTE ]
To clarify, are we talking about bars that serve no purpose other than food & drink, or "clubs?" We're looking at it more as an entertainment venue that serves alcohol. Are we crazy?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes.

I was a bar manager/owner in a nightclub environment for 12 years. The old joke is true. “How do you make a bar owner into a millionaire – Have him start with 2 million.”

It’s a 20 hour a day job. If you’re looking at a night club you open at 8 or 9pm and close at 2AM clean up and closeout lasts until 3-3:30. Then someone (you!) have to be in during the day to order food and liquor, let the cleaning people in and such.

If you are really interested look around for a bar that’s in trouble and cozy up to the owner. See if you can make a deal where you lease the business and operate under their liquor license. You just pay them so much $$ per week/month.
Old 08-26-2005, 07:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Everyone is talking about stealing but have you ever heard of security cameras ? Geez. This is the 00's. Just get a really good security system. I think what the right idea and good vision, you could make it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Bartenders have more ways of stealing than you can possibly imagine. Yes even in front of cameras and with a POS system. As an example, their buddy orders a rail Gin and Tonic, they double pour it (or triple), put it in a water glass instead of a rocks glass, use a call or top shelve brand instead of rail. Their buddy gives them a big tip, they ring in a rail G&T and off they go. Someone orders a drink, they pour it then go to the register and ring in a draft beer, and put the change in their tip bucket, or they just open the register drawer as a no sale and put all of it in their bucket.

Liquor theft is hard to catch unless you use a dispensing system which is slow and both customers and bartenders hate them.
Old 08-26-2005, 09:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Everyone is talking about stealing but have you ever heard of security cameras ? Geez. This is the 00's. Just get a really good security system. I think what the right idea and good vision, you could make it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Bartenders have more ways of stealing than you can possibly imagine. Yes even in front of cameras and with a POS system. As an example, their buddy orders a rail Gin and Tonic, they double pour it (or triple), put it in a water glass instead of a rocks glass, use a call or top shelve brand instead of rail. Their buddy gives them a big tip, they ring in a rail G&T and off they go. Someone orders a drink, they pour it then go to the register and ring in a draft beer, and put the change in their tip bucket, or they just open the register drawer as a no sale and put all of it in their bucket.

Liquor theft is hard to catch unless you use a dispensing system which is slow and both customers and bartenders hate them.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's exactly right. Also, quality bartenders will not stay very long with too many restrictions. You have to give them a bit of room and realize that a high-turnover, weak staff is very costly as well. Finding the right balance is key.
Old 08-26-2005, 10:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Bartenders have more ways of stealing than you can possibly imagine. Yes even in front of cameras and with a POS system]

all true.
here is how bad it can get:
Sunday's are traditionally slow, I hired a local experianced bartender. I knew he was stealing, but I made more money because he brought in a large following than I would have if I fired him......so I had to hang around all night to keep it at a minimum......as a result I am incredibly good at pinball.........and darts.

I hope you have noticed the majority of negatives.....did I mention if you have an addictive personality at all it is even worse.......I was fine, an unnamed associate burned more brain cells than he should have......at least I think I got through it fine......what was the question again?
Old 08-26-2005, 10:36 PM

The saying in the business is that one of three things will get you The Booze, The Broads, or The Drugs.