Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-20-2005, 11:46 PM

Default Re: Baseball and the wildcard

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
But the constant rape of small-market teams by large-market clubs is part of what keeps baseball a distant second to football in terms of popularity, in my opinion.

[/ QUOTE ]

D-Rays are 9-4 against the Yankees this year. The smallest payroll is 9 and 4 against the biggest payroll.

[/ QUOTE ]
You have some serious sample size issues.

Also, the Yankees are being run poorly.
Old 08-20-2005, 11:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
2)- worst. idea. ever.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes I hate it as well. #1 is fine with me, but I don't think it would have much effect.
Old 08-21-2005, 12:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
1) Realign into 6 divisions of 5 teams.

[/ QUOTE ]
This would be a logistical nightmare.

[/ QUOTE ]

If we just get rid of the silly idea that interleauge play must be reserved for a particular month, then this would be no problem. This is the system that the NFL used untill 1999, and it works just fine.

[/ QUOTE ]

The problem is, then, that nobody will give a [censored] about interleague games when they don't take place on summer weekends and haven't been hyped the [censored] out of.

Interleague play = the suck.

[/ QUOTE ]

Who cares if nobody cares. In football, ther is no big deal about inter conference games but they still have them, and they aren't bad.

Interleague games wouldn't be any worse than having the Royals, or Pirates come to town in a normal "intra"league game, and it would allow for a much nicer schedule, and a balanced alignment.
Old 08-21-2005, 12:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
2)- worst. idea. ever.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes I hate it as well. #1 is fine with me, but I don't think it would have much effect.

[/ QUOTE ]

It would make it a little harder for the WC to win it all, which is what you wanted. It would also give a bit more incentive for a team to try to win it all. I like this idea. It would be better, however, if they would go to 7 game divisional series, which I am in favor of anyway.
Old 08-21-2005, 01:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
2)- worst. idea. ever.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It would make it a little harder for the WC to win it all, which is what you wanted. It would also give a bit more incentive for a team to try to win it all. I like this idea. It would be better, however, if they would go to 7 game divisional series, which I am in favor of anyway.

[/ QUOTE ]
Well, spotting the division champ a 2-run lead in each game would make it easier too. It just seems artificial. I'm not sure 7-game series are the answer either. Let's not go the way of the NBA.
Old 08-21-2005, 02:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Who cares if nobody cares. In football, ther is no big deal about inter conference games but they still have them, and they aren't bad.

[/ QUOTE ]

Because for 120 years, there was no such thing as interleague play outside of the regular season. Now you're going to tell me that we'll just add it and it'll be no big deal?

You don't make a huge change like that in the sport with the most tradition and the biggest fan of traditionalists if it's "no big deal."
Old 08-21-2005, 02:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
If you can't win your division, you shouldn't be in the playoffs.

and San Diego should? What about the Red Sox the past two years? Clearly one of the best 6 teams in baseball.

Baseballs pre wild card format was awful.

[/ QUOTE ]

And what about the mediocre teams like the marlins in 97 and 03 actually winning the WS?? Do we need teams like that winning the title?

You don't need a WC to set up fair playoffs. The wildcrd was implemented for 1 reason: more money for MLB.

[/ QUOTE ]

the 97 marlins were not mediocre. they were one of the best teams the national league fielded that decade, its just a GODAMNED SHAME what happened after that.
Old 08-21-2005, 10:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Because for 120 years, there was no such thing as interleague play outside of the regular season. Now you're going to tell me that we'll just add it and it'll be no big deal?

You don't make a huge change like that in the sport with the most tradition and the biggest fan of traditionalists if it's "no big deal."

[/ QUOTE ]

For the most part baseball has had balanced (in terms of number of teams) divisions. I think that having unbalanced divisions is much more of a change (and a much worse change) than having a few interleague games. The only other reasonable option is expansion.
Old 08-21-2005, 01:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How about we keep the divisions and wildcard as is, get rid of interleague play altogether, and play a balanced schedule. Why is this so hard?

[/ QUOTE ]
whats the point of having divisions if everybody plays the same schedule?
Old 08-21-2005, 01:40 PM

I've thought one way the wild card could be made better would be (1) add another wild card team and (2) have the 2 wild card teams play a one game play-in to get into the main playoffs. This would (1) mitigate some of the harm caused by the unbalanced schedule (by adding a second wc team) and (2) get rid of the equivalence bewteen winning a division and getting the wild card.