Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-21-2005, 06:02 PM

Default Re: Looking to Fund Solid players

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
taking pretty much can't be mutually beneficial.

Can I have "quotes that are not true" for $500 alex?

[/ QUOTE ]

I had to laugh at that. Not the stupid, non-witty comment, of course, but the hilarious misquoting. I will have to say that in a large majority of case "taking" isnt good for the one being taken from....

[/ QUOTE ]

huh?
Old 08-21-2005, 07:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Well, our hero doesn't have to make a few bucks on stocks, he has to beat the index for year after year. The chance of doing that is less than the chance of being a successful 10/20SH player. If he just lets the roll of a dice decide which stocks he buys he'll on average make a bit of money, as the stock index on average goes up faster than inflation.

[/ QUOTE ]

Only 7-8% of poker players are winning players at the end of the year... the % of winning stock market investors is significantly higher!

As for how much you can beat the indexes by each year, assuming your benchmark is the SP500 index, there are several proven no brainer strategies for beating that index, including using a small cap index, dogs of the dow, etc. An individual investors willing to put the appropriate amount of time in, can do significantly better than the SP500 index.

.. and as I stated before, their probability of success is much greater than a poker players.
Old 08-21-2005, 09:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
there are several proven no brainer strategies for beating that index, including using a small cap index, dogs of the dow, etc. An individual investors willing to put the appropriate amount of time in, can do significantly better than the SP500 index.

[/ QUOTE ]

Then reasonably there are already funds that use any of these proven ways to free money, so hero could invest some in those, and save himself alot of time to... play more poker! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Oh well, he should still not cripple his 50% monthly ROI for a 15% yearly one.

His long term savings obviously have to go somewhere though.
Old 08-22-2005, 08:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

50% MONTHLY ROI from poker??? Time to return from fantasy land if you think that is sustainable.

If you started with a 10K Bankroll, 50% monthly ROI compounded would be 168 Million in 2 years. Show me even 1 person that has done that playing poker!!!!
Old 08-22-2005, 09:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

50% MONTHLY ROI from poker??? Time to return from fantasy land if you think that is sustainable.

If you started with a 10K Bankroll, 50% monthly ROI compounded would be 168 Million in 2 years. Show me even 1 person that has done that playing poker!!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Here is a hint. The I in ROI stands for something different than your starting bankroll (even more so if it is $168 million).

Btw a winning player don't need a gigantic br to continue to be a winning player. Thus both investing and poker playing would make sense.
Old 08-22-2005, 09:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Here is a hint. The I in ROI stands for something different than your starting bankroll (even more so if it is $168 million).

[/ QUOTE ]

Technically, there are sevral different methods for calculating ROI. For purposes of this discusssion, in order to be an apples to apples comparison, we are talking about Return on Bankroll.
Old 08-22-2005, 10:02 AM

I am a long time 5/10 player at Bodog which doesn't provide Poker Tracker information. What type of arrangement are you talking about for 10/20 short handed?
Old 08-22-2005, 01:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If you read the entire thread you'd see I didn't imply that it was sustainable.

A pro is going to have something like a 1000BB bankroll for 10/20SH. That is $20k. Our example pro plays 25000 hands in a month, with a win rate of 2BB/100. (Neither the number of hands nor his win rate are anywhere near fantasy land.)

His investment is 20k, he cashes out 10k winnings at the end of the month. Dogmeat said a persons bankroll could thoeretically be crippled by a stock investment. If the bankroll is crippled by his investment then he did in fact abandon a 50% monthly ROI for what must with near certainty be a (significantly) lower yearly ROI.

Most of us are obviously going to reach a point where stepping up yet another limit will lower our monthly income, or even make us into losers.

If our hero had grinded this game for a year already, and had a monthly nut under 10k, he'd have some savings. These he should ofcourse invest wisely. Because as you say, you reach a point in poker where building the bankroll is no longer the best way to make even more money.