Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-16-2005, 06:16 PM

Default Re: Ok guys. Admit it. Poker is NOT cool.

[ QUOTE ]
I admit it. Poker is not cool.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 08-16-2005, 06:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
im a professional clown

[/ QUOTE ]

could you even imagine an amateur clown...someone who dresses up like a clown and doesn't get paid for it? I mean...besides humberto brenes
Old 08-16-2005, 10:07 PM

Default Cleavage Perspective

[ QUOTE ]
aces_full --

The most +EV answer to the question is the one that will most likely lead to you seeing some boob.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is clearly the best line. The question is, what is the best line for this line?

PairTheBoard
Old 08-17-2005, 12:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
How about just shocking people with "I'm a degenerate gambler waiting to blow his bankroll." Jaws will drop, uncomfortable silence will commence. Also, say regular jobs are for squares and clydes that have no sense of gamble and need to have the comfort of a consistent, steady paycheck. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Seriously, I'd just say that I don't have a job but am currently looking for one or something crap like that. If they ask how you pay your bills just say that you have some money saved up to last awhile (read poker bankroll and winnings). Yeah, it won't impress the chicks, but you can come up with something else for them.

[/ QUOTE ]

Did you really just say squares and clydes? Thats the funniest thing I've read online in a while.
Old 08-17-2005, 12:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]

So, whereas everyone knows what you mean when you say "I am a lawyer", no one even knows what you are talking about when you say "I play cards". When you say "I play cards" to person A they hear "I am a sicko gambler". When you say it to person B, they hear "I am a filthy criminal", or person C hears "I am a dirty lowlife unable to work a real job" or person D hears "I am a millionaire" or person E hears "I am a math genius, but also an amoral hustler."

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it's similar to lawyer or most jobs. I have almost no clue what a lawyer does at work. I know that a high percentage don't appear in court, but most people seem to think of lawyers in big trials. It's the same in poker. People think about what gets played up in the media and what the stereotypes are.
Old 08-17-2005, 01:36 AM

Have we grown up past the 3rd grade yet where cool or what people think is cool matters?
Old 08-17-2005, 05:38 AM

that's funny.

I was gonna jump on that one, but I thought "lemme just read one more post to see if anyone else does it, and to give me time to change my mind."
Old 08-17-2005, 06:58 AM

Finally! Jeez. I don't know why everyone is in denial about this. People think because Jennifer Tilly is dating the unabomber that all of a sudden playing poker is cool. These people need to realize that Jennifer Tilly is old and not that hot, and that she'd probably be dating Phil Laak whether he played poker or not. He's young, and has a fresh personality. She's lucky to have him.
Old 08-17-2005, 08:48 AM

Uh buh buh buh buh buh buh. Cool it with the criticism. The grammar forum is three IPs down the street, to your left. It's got all the English teachers and prep nerds hanging out on it. You can't miss it!

Rusty

P.S. I assume it wasn't a spelling error, just misuse of a word. Eye try not too let it happen two often, I fined it effects me in a negative weigh. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 08-17-2005, 08:51 AM

SNAP!