Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-12-2005, 03:10 PM

Default Re: Ever experience this? [Includes hand examples]

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I would feel good after all of those hands. "its not my fault i lost"

[/ QUOTE ]

of course it's not your fault you lost, but the key phrase and fact is [I LOST]. feeling good after all those hands is'nt gonna change that i lost them.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, I have to work now, but if your objective is to be a good poker player then, yes, you should feel good. On the other hand, if your objective was to play 15 games and win them and then be done with poker, then you should not be happy. Simple...
Old 08-12-2005, 03:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I would feel good after all of those hands. "its not my fault i lost"

[/ QUOTE ]

of course it's not your fault you lost, but the key phrase and fact is [I LOST]. feeling good after all those hands is'nt gonna change that i lost them.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, I have to work now, but if your objective is to be a good poker player then, yes, you should feel good. On the other hand, if your objective was to play 15 games and win them and then be done with poker, then you should not be happy. Simple...

[/ QUOTE ]

no, my objective is to win 15, then play 15 more and win, then play 15 more and win, and so forth. anything less than winning [even when i'm in with the best of it, regardless of whether i made the better decision] is just that---losing. i don't like to lose, even when i played the best. i've played SNGs where i was 100% at the showdown with no hands lost, 20 pots won without a showdown and got 2nd because of a suckout on the river to the worse hand. i'm not happy about that. that suckout is the difference between 1st place money and 2nd place money.
Old 08-12-2005, 03:24 PM

this is the longest running bad beat post in history.

go play chess or something. your psyche clearly isnt ready for poker. seriously.
Old 08-12-2005, 03:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Wrong, because this is just the recent sample, and your sample is too small, etc. Let it go. Also you have dropped 11 buyins, which is laughable to many posters here, so what response do you expect?

[/ QUOTE ]

i've already detailed why i don't document and post the rest over a larger sample. also, i don't expect 11 buy-in drops as the norm, which i why i don't even find 1 buy-in drop laughable.
Old 08-12-2005, 03:56 PM

O,

Maybe this will help:

[ QUOTE ]
i don't expect 11 buy-in drops as the norm

[/ QUOTE ]

This is the problem.

I'm sorry for your recent downswing and all, but 11 buy-in drops are the norm. They happen to every player, frequently. I don't know what else to say.

Bastardizing some other bad math that I did in another thread earlier today, let's say you have a 50% itm, ok? Absurdly high, but let's roll with it.

That means your chances (if these are all independent results) or losing 11 games in a row are .5^11, or 1/2048. So any game you play has what, about a .4% chance to be the start of an 11 game losing streak. Now, a) no one has a 50% itm, and b) most people count their "downswings" as inclusive of the sparse wins that get thrown in there, just peak to valley (er, crevasse?).

The fact of the matter is that such buy-in drops are common for everyone who plays these games, even the very very best.

Regarding your other content:

Yes, we all go through extended periods where our best hands lose and our worst hands lose too. This is called "running bad," and poker players all know what it is. From this thread of yours I would honestly tend to agree with other responders that you seem to not be suited for poker, even as a hobby, especially not tournament style poker. If you continue with poker and are unable to change these things about your mindset, I would strongly recommend moving to cash games. Strongly.

One of the key things to remember about what you've done by looking over even a "largish" block of your tournaments for your bad beats v their bad beats is that the sample size is pathetically small. And no, I'm not honestly going to tell you what everyone else has about "if you get your money in good you're doing good." That's not necessarilly true. For instance if you're letting yourself get short enough that a stack who is healthy would be comfortable gambling with you, and then gambling with him, you're doing something wrong. There's other such things as well.

The one part of your thinking that really just sort of kills me is this nonsense about "well then when i get heads up and he sucks out on me that's horrible because man, that's the difference between 1st and 2nd place money, and that's a big difference." Oh puh-lease. Come on man. That's just so infantile it's not funny. Surely you understand what percentages are. They mean that if you have probability P of something winning, every time that's in 1-P loses. It just happens.

Anyway, I hope some of this is helpful to you. Particularly the suggestion to move to cash games.

citanul
Old 08-12-2005, 04:17 PM

Yesterday I dropped 15 buyins. Then I gained them back.

If I had gone fetal at half time, I would have thought that the world is so unfair.