Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-10-2005, 11:50 PM

Default Re: I don\'t think q/q is out of line here

I've already explained that I would enlist if there was need for my services.

You can't expect everyone to enlist everytime there is a war. I've already explained how its impossible for most supporters of any war to enlist. 99% of people who have supported any war are hypocrits by your test.
Old 08-10-2005, 11:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I've already explained that I would enlist if there was need for my services.

[/ QUOTE ]

There's definitely a need.

Even if I were to concede there's no need for new recruits (I'm not conceding that) - I guarantee that there some people who have been on the ground there for while that are more than willing to switch places and have you come fill in for a while so they can come home, kick back, post on 2+2 2000 times, play some online poker, play arm-chair war quarterback, prognosticate on troop placements, etc. while you fight the insurgency.
Old 08-11-2005, 12:00 AM

Much as i don't care about this conversation- this is a very narrow view of the military. Obviously the military needs the ability to fight a new war before this one is over- having a majority of our active troops in a situation like Iraq would hinder their ability to redeploy if it was nessecary.
Old 08-11-2005, 12:01 AM

Yearly troop rotations could be accomplished by integrating our forces stationed all around the world.

Look if I was a big muscular army guy like my cousin I might go. But I'm a 115lb kid with severe Asthma. I have no military training. No engineering training. No computer training. Other then spending years training just to get my squadmates killed cause the gas from gunfire gives me an Asthma attack I'm not exactly sure what the [censored] you want me to do.
Old 08-11-2005, 12:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Look if I was a big muscular army guy like my cousin I might go. But I'm a 115lb kid with severe Asthma. I have no military training. No engineering training. No computer training. Other then spending years training just to get my squadmates killed cause the gas from gunfire gives me an Asthma attack I'm not exactly sure what the [censored] you want me to do.

[/ QUOTE ]

1) Admit you've got absolutely no interest in going
2) Consider the implications of that, and what that might mean for your support of this war
Old 08-11-2005, 12:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Also, there's a lot more to do than fight on the front lines. You wouldn't be the first skinny asthmatic in the military.

And I'm sure there are plenty of people willing to train you.
Old 08-11-2005, 12:07 AM

Default Re: Army poised to miss 2005 recruiting goal (AP)

[ QUOTE ]
At last count, these are the recruiting numbers:

Army : 11% short
Reserve : 18% short
National Guard : 23% short

[/ QUOTE ]

How are the other branches of the military doing towards their recruiting goals? For some reason you left those out.

Stu
Old 08-11-2005, 12:07 AM

No, I won't. If drafted I will. If a draft is even announced I will enlist before anyone else gets drafted to no one serves in the draft before I do. But until then I feel no obligation to enlist.
Old 08-11-2005, 12:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
But until then I feel no obligation to enlist.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, so to sum up, you're a hypocrite. Sorry.

Like I said, I'm not going either and I've got not one ounce in me that wants to go - but at least I'm willing to admit it would be horribly hypocritical of me to be a vocal supporter of this war, considering my unwillingness to go.
Old 08-11-2005, 12:13 AM

Well I disagree. I'll serve before anyone who doesn't support the war (hence the willingness to enlist if there is a draft), but I see absolutely no reason why I have to be the first of of all the war suppoters to join. That is why the whole question is rediculous. Only 1% of war supporters can join the army because the army is limited in size.