Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-29-2005, 12:20 AM

Default Re: Ask any newbie question here

Anadrol,

Average place is a totally meaningless statistic with respect to sit and goes. It is one of those stats that you can either try to tear apart and find relevance in, or ignore and focus on stats that mean something. One method is clearly superior to the other.

citanul
Old 07-29-2005, 12:26 AM

Grisgara,

Referring to the average player at each stake:

At the 10s people are nuts.
- they are more than willing to lose all their chips with an underpair to the board, routinely. they don't know how to steal on the bubble, how to not call on the bubble, and they probably aren't potty trained.

At the 20s they are a little less nuts.
- they're more likely to be potty trained, and to not make quite so many calls on the bubble.

At the 30s they are even one more step less nuts.
- they are almost all potty trained, and you see less, but still quite a bit, totally ridiculous play.

At the 50s they have some semblence of a clue of what's going on
- the most donkish thing the average opponent still does at this stake is to constantly go broke with top pair bad kicker, and to go all in with any oesd and any flush draw. they know how to steal on the bubble usually, and know not to call too much too.

I don't think that there is any level that any 2+2er who either isn't sort of a natural at tournament theory or who hasn't studied at least a little bit will beat handilly. Bubble play and late game play too heavilly important, and are not entirely intuitive. I think that a good poker player who understands poker on a more theoretical level than just your standard low limit grinder could make a quick transition to the sngs and begin beating at minimum the 30s.

From what I understand your conception of the mini-multis is basically correct. When they run, they are the same caliber of opponents at the same buyin levels, if not lower.

citanul
Old 07-29-2005, 12:27 AM

Tx,

Not that I know of. I just open a table, then quickly unminimize the lobby, and go again. I think someone wrote a script that auto checks the box in the take seat dialogue box.

citanul
Old 07-29-2005, 12:28 AM

Anadrol,

The most useful pieces of software I would probably list as those that are listed in the FAQ. The spreadsheet, poker tracker, sit and go tracker, the sit and go power tools, pokerstove are the tops, as far as I'm concerned. Poker Prophecy is the worst.

citanul
Old 07-29-2005, 12:32 AM

Default Re: Newbie Question

Ogre,

I reraise. I begin to think about trapping in situations like this when the size of the open raise would be enough to seed a good pot. At the early levels, the blinds+the raise aren't going to be enough to really stick my opponent to a pot. Additionally, at the lower levels a raise and a call is going to give the blinds OK odds to come in, or at least many blinds seem to think so. This isn't to say I always cold call or trap in some other way with a big hand in these spots, but I do sometimes when the pot will start out fairly large.

So at 10/15, 15/30, 25/50 there is basically no way I'm doing anything but reraising, especially if there's a good chance the raiser has a real hand (solidish player in EP raising). Additionally, an extra donky opponent who's happy to get all in with AJ or whatnot is great to reraise too. Depending on the donk, and my stack, the push becomes the optimal raise size in many situations.

Yeah, I guess I left out that a lot of it depends on my stack size and the open raiser's stack size as well. I'm less inclined to trap, for obvious reasons, if my stack is unhealthy.

citanul
Old 07-29-2005, 01:52 AM

so i thought you could play 4+ tables on eurobet, but it is limiting me to 4? whats the dealio?
Old 07-29-2005, 02:03 AM

Default Re: On Rebuys

[ QUOTE ]
Will you hate me if it's a MTT question? People over there don't seem to like my post enough to answer. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

-----

Can someone explain or clarify if it's always in one's best interest to rebuy immediately if that is an option? If so, or if not, what assumptions are required for it to be so? And if there is a difference in single rebuy or multi-rebuy, why that is?

I have always felt that it seems advantageous to always rebuy immediately, but I haven't played any rebuy tournies so haven't thought about it much nor experienced it much.

Thanks.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, it's generally accepted that it's correct to always rebuy at the beginning. Taking the addon is more debatable, but it's still considered +EV unless your stack is already huge by the break. I suggest searching in the MTT archive. THis topic has been talked about in great length. Look especially for old posts by Greg Raymer (Greg "Fossilman").
Old 07-29-2005, 02:04 AM

I thought I had a good understanding of "fold equity", but just read something that makes me believe it is totally incorrect. I fear a search will yield 4 billion results, is there a general thread on fold equity?
Old 07-29-2005, 02:44 AM

tom,

each of the party skins tops out at 4 tables.

citanul
Old 07-29-2005, 03:08 AM

ty