Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-26-2005, 03:15 PM

Default Re: Isolating a TAG

[ QUOTE ]
I would guess I isolate with crap at least twice a night.

[/ QUOTE ]

I isolate all the time, but not players who I believe have a better hand than I do.

[ QUOTE ]
I also raise UTG with weak hands (97s) on occasion.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's a whole other thing alltogether, and one I don't really want to get into. Generally, I don't think it's worth it. If there's that good of a chance you can take the blinds from there, do it; if it's for advertisement value, I don't anyone's watching. Whatever makes you happy.

[ QUOTE ]
And I steal the blinds with total crap all the time.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's why it's stealing and not raising with the best hand.

[ QUOTE ]
And, overall, I make a profit with these plays. But I almost never lose a big pot with these hands.

[/ QUOTE ]

Then you're a much better player than the people I play against, but I suspect the same holds true for a lot of posters on 2+2.

I'm not sure why people seem to get defensive sometimes -- whether you disagree or agree, the idea that isolating a tight and aggressive player with A2o is a bad idea seems easy to understand. You're free to disagree, and I have no doubt you turn a profit. Most people who post here are better players than I am; I've spent the last three years establishing that fact.

ElSapo
Old 07-26-2005, 03:16 PM

UTG+1's stats?
Old 07-26-2005, 03:23 PM

why would you do this with a hand that is either behind or way behind the TAG's?
Old 07-26-2005, 03:24 PM

Location: I\'m a FAG:Frugal Aggressive(Not that there is anything wrong with that)

[ QUOTE ]
UTG+1's stats?

[/ QUOTE ]
362 VIEWS/41 REPLIES FINALLY SOMEONE ASKS(sorry for yelling).
Old 07-26-2005, 03:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
UTG+1's stats?

[/ QUOTE ]
362 VIEWS/41 REPLIES FINALLY SOMEONE ASKS(sorry for yelling).

[/ QUOTE ]

This actually made me laugh, when Sfer asked. I honestly don't care what his stats are, and I think the recent stat-obsession is silly (though maybe necessary when you 56-table). However, knowing something about the opponent's post-flop agrression levels is probably a good idea.

Assuming, that is, I know what a 2AF level means; which I don't.
Old 07-26-2005, 03:31 PM

Location: I\'m a FAG:Frugal Aggressive(Not that there is anything wrong with that)

i am actually just curious what OP's view of TAG stats may be. it would not necessarily change what i think about the hand.
Old 07-26-2005, 03:31 PM

Im of the opinion that attempting to isolate a "TAG" with a crap hand is a terrible play. Sure, if a suitable flop comes, you might be able to scoop the pot. However, you are not only playing a trashy ace, but you have a deuce which significantly worsens your hand. You need to fold the flop. Sure, you know the tag isn't limping with 92 like some other "fools", but does this really help you? You are playing the role of the "fool" now bu playing this bad hand. Your position can't help you now. Plus you played it so meekly you couldn't possibly take this pot. If you are going to steal, you better be willing to throw in some extra bets on the turn which you didnt.
Isolation helps you take advantage of early limpers playing BAD hands. It does not help you take advantage of good players playing good hands. The good player will release a hand if they don't connect. If they do connect, you will pay them off. You do see the difference Right? The tag didn't donk bet, they outplayed you. They bet the turn to see if you had the goods, you did not raise, so they value bet the river figuring you would call with a range of worse hands. You did.
Old 07-26-2005, 03:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
UTG+1's stats?

[/ QUOTE ]
Great question - and something I was just about to comment on...

I'm going to throw out a few nuggets of information that I've been pondering...

#1 - Thanks for all the comments, advice and discussion!! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

#2 - UTG's stats are 15/7/4 - not exactly normal TAG stats but, he was overly agressive post-flop. I don't recall his agression being that high when I was in this hand with him. This is over around 100 hands now - I believe that 15/7 would've been accurate while I was in the hand. However, I suspect his agression was closer to somewhere between 2 or 3 and the # of hands I had on him at this point was probably around 60-70.

#3 - The one point I'm a little disapointed on has been the PF discussion and I blame myself for not giving enough information in the OP on the texture of the game. This was an average-to-betterThanAverage loose/passive Party 2/4 game. I had plenty of confidence in limping good multiway hands like suited Aces, connectors and small PP's in EP with good confidence that there would be several callers and a high chance that PF would not be raised. This specific hand was an anomoly in the game with everyone folding around. The blinds were reasonable and if I had to put a number on it I would say that there was an 85% chance of folding them both out PF and if I got a caller there was another 85-90% chance that a flop bet would fold him out if he missed.

I figured that there would be plenty of commentary on PF play being either fine or horrible but - I've thrown out some hand ranges for a TAG player who limps UTG PF and there hasn't been much commentary on them. My point here is for someone to do a reasonable combination analysis on his hand range - I think it might be closer than we're thinking.

I'm also not convinced that the turn stop'n'go is as strong of a move as everyone is suggesting. It certainly has less validity now that I've revealed this Villian as a very aggressive post-flop player. However, even for a TAG, if he'd flopped a monster wouldn't we be expecting a checkraise on the turn. I know that, personally, I usually slow down to a turn stop'n'go where I would've bet and called a check-raise. I wouldn't expect a strong hand to be betting the turn in hopes of a 3-bet.

Thoughts...
Old 07-26-2005, 03:37 PM

just b/c villain's hand hit the flop doesn't mean he is "good". where is the turn checkraise if he is so good? why did he miss that bet? why didn't he make OP pay for it where it counts: the big streets. OP's problem was he actually got a piece of the flop and had reason to think he had enough equity to call down.
Old 07-26-2005, 03:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
he was overly agressive post-flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

You want tight-passive if you're really gonna try and isolate him. Also, if he's aggro, don't raise the flop, just call it down. You don't need any more tough decisions.

[ QUOTE ]
This was an average-to-betterThanAverage loose/passive Party 2/4 game.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not a isolating environment.