Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-21-2005, 04:08 PM

Default Re: $215s - Controversial AQ Hand

If you're going to play it that weak I'd just fold AQo UTG+1 routinely (which is a fine option IMO).

LDT
Old 07-21-2005, 04:09 PM

Yeah but SB was Harman in that hand right?
With AA in an unraised pot and a rock solid SB leading into 6 players, your reverse implied odds are f*cking terrible.
Old 07-21-2005, 04:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you're going to play it that weak I'd just fold AQo UTG+1 routinely (which is a fine option IMO).

LDT

[/ QUOTE ]

Im playing it this weak because there are 7 opponents and things just didn't turn out the way I wanted. Let me tell you that when I limp UTG with AQo (Which I do, although I sometimes fold in the 15-30 level when its 10 handed) this isn't a normal occurance.

It's not going to kill me that I put 15 chips into the pot and some of the time that I flop top pair I don't get heavily invested. Basically I almost never lose a lot of chips when I'm beaten (as you can tell by my "weak tight" play), but occasionally win a nice pot when I have the best hand or win a huge pot when I flop 2 pair or better.

If I did play the hand any differently it would be to bet out for like 95-100 on the flop.
Old 07-21-2005, 04:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah but SB was Harman in that hand right?
With AA in an unraised pot and a rock solid SB leading into 6 players, your reverse implied odds are f*cking terrible.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, that was the hand. does "solid" in this case mean "good" or "doesn't bluff"? cause i think they get mixed up sometimes.

if you search for posts by me with sklansky in the subject, you'll find it.
Old 07-21-2005, 04:21 PM

Solid as in wouldn't bet middle pair or TPWK into the field so she has a big draw or a huge hand and it may cost you your whole satck to find out which one it is.
Old 07-21-2005, 04:21 PM

I routinely limp AQ PF there (and call a small raise), I think that part is OK.

Flop: You check. It's checked behind you. The turn is a spade, K, 9, 8, 7, or 6 (with J or T being almost as bad); you hate your hand in a 7 way pot, can't really bet it and probably fold at some point. Because I would like to avoid this outcome with what is likely the best hand at the moment, I'm betting.

Say you check and it's checked through. Turn: SB has a real hand. He does not, however, always have TPTK beat (not even most of the time) because KQ bets here, as does QJ, QT and all those other Q's. A solid SB will not have Q4o but he sure will often have a Q with 2 spades or just TPGK.

On the other hand, a raise sucks, and if it's raised behind you you have an easy fold. So you call the turn, and then call the river because your hand is good 1 time out of 3. From here, it's standard. The flop is the bad part, because you'd really like some idea of what to do when one of around 30 other cards hits.

PS: Folding the turn is not *that* bad and there are people against whom it's probably a good idea, I just don't ever get into that situation because I bet the flop.
Old 07-21-2005, 04:23 PM

BTW that AA hand was ridiculous PF unless apparently you want to outthink yourself a lot, but I perfectly knew where he was coming from on the flop and thought the fold was good (once again, I'd raise PF because the logical conclusion to that perfect waste of 50 chips was to not put yourself in a position where you are against Jennifer Harman betting into 6 people in the first place.)
Old 07-21-2005, 04:24 PM

How does betting make a sh*tty turn card any more comfortable, especially if you're OOP? I think I'm f*cked if a spade comes on the turn whether I bet the flop or not.

Also, how do you react to a flop raise from either the blinds/UTG, or EP/LP?
Old 07-21-2005, 04:27 PM

You bet, get one caller, the turn is a random spade: you have a situation that comes up a billion times a day. It's not a great spot but it's not a horrible one.

You bet, get three callers, the turn is a random spade: you quickly check/fold, problem solved.

You check, the turn is a random spade, it's checked to some LP guy who bets half the pot: you...are gonna be folding the best hand an awful lot *or* have to call two streets and hope the guy that calls behind you just has the naked ace, which he very well could.

edit: the blinds are scarier than an LP raise and it greatly depends on what I think of them. Also, it's gonna be a draw a lot, but most draws are favorites on this flop. Basically, I'll either be calling small CR's and pushing lots of turns, or folding lots of flops. Depends.
Old 07-21-2005, 05:00 PM

Good points.
I guess I'm just not all that upset if the flop gets checked around and I have to bail to a turn scare card. It wasn't a great spot to begin with.
This may be too passive but in a structure where I can't rebuy I don't think so.
Anyway... good thread guys Villain had T7o and MHIG.