Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-21-2005, 01:49 AM

Default Re: AA in NL400 - Villain takes confusing line

good point - that just adds more complexity. So do most people open the same amount preflop then? What about "raising"?
Old 07-21-2005, 02:10 AM

What hands can you beat?
Busted Straight, and Flush draw
Two pair 9 up and better.
Over pair up to KK.

What hands can't you beat?
Three 8s - A8 - K8s

Full House - Pocket 9s,2s, 3s, 98.

Now do any of these hands like this type of player would call? I assume he would call
A8, 99s, 22s, 33s more than anything else.

I'm leaning towars either A8 or 99s. I think your beat.
Old 07-21-2005, 02:14 AM

The preflop raise is ok. My standard raise is 3x the BB + 1xBB for each limper. So no problems there.

I think the problem lies with the flop betting. It reeks. You bet $22 into a $36 pot and lord knows what he'll come over the top with. With that kind of bet the range of hands that he'll play back at you increase. He'll be more apt to come over the top with such hands like any pocket pair, a flush draw, straight draw, blah, blah. I don't think the solution is to check either. So bet $36, or better yet, bet $40. If you bet the pot or overbet the pot, it puts more pressure on your opponent. Now if he comes over the top of you, you can be very certain you are beaten or at the very best, he has a superdraw. Another side benefit is you're charging more for draws here, and he'll probably just call along.

And regarding the posts about metagame considerations--Seriously, this is Party NL400...Party fricking NL400. I play there all the time. 80% of the players are donkeys. 95% of the time when they check-raise you they have the goods (if you bet a stern amount). I wouldn't start worrying about metagame considerations until NL600 at least and probably seriously at NL1000.

Garland
Old 07-21-2005, 10:22 AM

I could have missed something as this is a fairly long thread. Put yourself in villain's shoes. You have a pair of tens or straight/flush/straight+flush draws. You put hero on AK. You checkraise here figuring hero will fold to a decent bet but will continuation bet/fold if checked to. You go ahead and check, checkraise large almost sure of a fold. Surprised at a call, you decide to check again but feel as if your hand is still good.

Hero bets out $100 on the turn.

I think this is where the problem is. I'm surprised more people haven't discussed the turn play. This play accomplishes 3 things, all of which are negative:

1. From villain's point of view IMO, you are showing weakness and representing big cards. To me, looks like AK desperation bet attempting to steal a pot for cheap. Your bet is a little over 1/2 the pot. Not a strong bet, Villain will fold 2% of the time here.

2. This is just a pot-sweetener. You've changed a medium sized $184 pot to a large $384 pot. Having checked behind you would have controlled the pot size and he wouldn't bet more than 150(you've already blown 100 with this bet, would be nice to showdown for 50 more).

3. Your letting villain draw with 3.5-to-1 odds. This is the least of your problems IMO.

I see myself making more of a value-bet with tripps or better in this situation. I think a push in his situation just simplifies his decision-making with an overpair TT-KK. Curious if anyone agrees with me.

Sidenote... The_Bear are you DrBigNutz on party?

That's all I got,
-Ace
Old 07-21-2005, 01:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Sidenote... The_Bear are you DrBigNutz on party?

[/ QUOTE ]

No, but I do play with him every day. I suspect he might be a 2+2'er.