Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-20-2005, 10:55 AM

Default Re: What was Phil Ivey thinking?

Mabye there was a big game starting, and he knew he could make more in it than the tourney.
Old 07-20-2005, 10:58 AM

WSOP events have very high antes. Ivey probably figured that this would be one of the last spots he had to take a chance to build up a decent stack and have a good shot at drawing live.

Remember Ivey doesn't care about the $, only the ring.
Old 07-20-2005, 11:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Jojo,

Thank you for finally putting together more than one sentence in your insults.

And yeah i think he made a donkey play. I was trying to be nice by saying i nwasn't saying that. But you should have picked up on that. That doesn't mean i think he's a donkey. But lets just say he coulda been shrek's right hand man on this hand.

Now i have a serious question for you. I answered your question on the donkey saying or not saying thing so answer me please. Do you really think i don't have any clue what i'm talking about and that i'm a troll and all this stuff you say? OR Do you just know i know i make many good points but you never give me credit for them because you dislike me so you brush past them and would rather choose to insult and discredit me? Because this is my read.

I'm glad you enjoy reading my posts to see me wriggle and whatever. I mean that even though you may be against me at least i entertain you. So i must be doing some good for you no? Lighten up give me a chance. I always give you a chance even though you always dissapoint me by going back to one line insults. Lets forget the past. Lets find something new to fight about. Just kiddin but you know what i mean.

[/ QUOTE ]

no, i don't agree you have good points. you start these threads to rip on pros and to argue with posters. as you know (or should know), as a shortstack you can't wait for monsters. you have to pick up pots when you can (when the blinds/antes are big) without a showdown. that's what it looked to me like ivey was doing. it's not a donkey play; it's a standard "pick up a small pot" play, one that only a donkey would fail to understand.

and thanks for all the backhanded compliments. i really "buy" how "sincere" you are.
Old 07-20-2005, 11:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
these forums are full of Ivey fans, what kind of response did you expect?

[/ QUOTE ]

I am not an Ivey 'fan', but I do have respect for his game. However, that wouldn't lead me to just make stuff up to try to prove a point. Believe it or not, I'm not that type of person.

The OP and I have a fundamental disagreement over several issues, and it's completely unfair to dismiss one side of the discussion as flawed simply because Ivey is a well known and respected player. The fact that it was Ivey in this hand has pretty much nothing to do with most of what I've said.

Also, it's pointless for me to debate this further with the OP, because he doesn't buy my assertion that there is not enough contextual information available to adequetly judge this play. I'm not sure how that could be the case when he didn't even remember a previous hand that was fairly relevant to the one in question, but that's fine. Still, any further discussion we could have about this hand would most likely be quite repetitive.

As I said, it's a fundamental disagreement.

Oh, and here's a bit of that all important context I was talking about.

Smoothcall:
[ QUOTE ]
I didn't know she had Ak. I was half asleep watching it and thought she had j8 off. But apparently it was Ak

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 07-20-2005, 11:05 AM

I like that answer. Very good. No sarcasm
Old 07-20-2005, 11:20 AM

I agree thats why he did it. I just don't agree it was worth it.

LOL hear we go again. There were no backhanded compliments that i can think of. Please remind me.(for real, remind me, i can tlook back as writing this). What i said was genuine and honest. I always give you a chance to start over but you seem to not believe me and think i'm being sarcastic. I don't want to fight with you or anybody else. I like to discuss and even argue points(as in poker situations and particualr hands such as the one in this thread). But i like to do it in a constructive way that is informative and enjoyable for me. It only turns intop fights because there are many on here that would rather whip out insults and profanity. Which makes me change gears from wanting to discuss poker and want to discuss why they are being suck di***(i'm not referring to you here although you have in the past fallen into this category at least partially imo) but that was the past. I'm not sending any backhanded compliments or insults you way in this posts or any sarcasm. I'm trying to wave the white flag so to speak.
Old 07-20-2005, 11:29 AM

LOL. i agreed pretty much with this whole post until you had to sting me the the quote on the end. That wasn't a post of technical play or anything like that where it mattered what her 2 cards were. It was a post based on tells and reads. So it reall doesn't matter what her hand was if we're discussing whether she picked up a tell on gabe. To play the hand we would need to know. But the point of the discussion was it seemed that many players were picking up weakness in each other throughout this final table.
Old 07-20-2005, 11:33 AM

I don't see why people are bringing up context. Is it not ironic that poker players are saying they can't tell because it might be out of context? Shouldn't a poker player be able to size up whatever situation presented espcially in regards to playing poker and make a decision or come to a conclusion?

I'm a fairly new player, but is that not what poker is?

Even if it was protrayed poorly, would you not be able to see that and cite why you think that? If it matter I think Ivey had not heart at the end. He threw his chips in and said if it hits I play, if it doesn't I'm done.
Old 07-20-2005, 11:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't know either but by the looks of it he was by far the short stack left in the table. And Bellende had enough to call the bet and still have tons of chips.

Why wouldn't you DARE question unless you were sure of his exact chip count? Again this is what i have a problem with. They treat these guys like there the queen of england and i'm calling her a fat cow to her face if i dare question a hand they played. I better be right or i'm in trouble with big daddy Phil I.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe Phil was just making a stand where he saw fit? Wait, scratch that, he had more chips that I thought. Okay, I've got no idea why he pushed it in there. Maybe he had a ring game he had his eye on and just wanted to dump his chips.
Old 07-20-2005, 11:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't see why people are bringing up context. Is it not ironic that poker players are saying they can't tell because it might be out of context? Shouldn't a poker player be able to size up whatever situation presented espcially in regards to playing poker and make a decision or come to a conclusion?

I'm a fairly new player, but is that not what poker is?

[/ QUOTE ]

Context is extremely important in poker. Hands are not played in a vacuum. A poker player "sizes up" a situation using as much information as possible, and that definitely includes as much context as possible. There are more than a few things in poker I'm fuzzy on, but this is not one of them.