Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-14-2005, 11:34 PM

Default Re: Politically Incorrect WSOP Post

Or by some radicalist Islamic jidhaist who hates White Christian American Males...

(Note I'm not saying all Muslims hate WCAM's..)
Old 07-15-2005, 04:32 AM

After reading the end of this thread -- and participating -- I had to go back to the beginning, and still can't imagine how it dissolved this far. A statement is what it is. Evidence can be either mitigating or agravating. Take a position.

SAMPLE: I will make deal with Ted Kennedy, I will quit calling him a liar as soon as he quits lying. There's a deal we can all understand.

SheetWise
Old 07-15-2005, 05:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Christian, American, White, Males. Surely well more than half the starting field fit this criteria. Of the final 27 I count five or so. And one of them is our own Greg Raymer who as a 2+2er, doesn't really count.

Almost surely not a coincidence. They don't want to ask directions. And they won't admit there are people smarter than them who can teach them something. Whether it be religion, science, or poker.

[/ QUOTE ]

Funny how the USA has become the richest, most powerful country on the planet after being run by mostly dumb white christian males for the last 200 years.

PairTheBoard
Old 07-15-2005, 06:13 AM

"Funny how the USA has become the richest, most powerful country on the planet after being run by mostly dumb white christian males for the last 200 years."

PairTheBoard

Not in proportion to their numbers. Especially in the last 50 years. I'm guessing that of the top ten thousand mathmeticians and chemists in this country (I won't count econonomists or finance geniuses because their science is inexact and one could claim some groups are more money hungry. I won't count biologists and physicists because they could have an anti religious bias. I count only these two fields because they recquire and attract only pure smarts.) an individul Jew, Asians, and perhaps also an agnostic ex Christians is almost TEN TIMES as likely to make it into that group. To a lesser extent the ultra best doctors.

Now to be fair, I suspect the Jews in question are also more likely to be agnostic than their proportion of the Jewish population. But that just makes my point stronger.
Old 07-15-2005, 06:41 AM

DS --
"I'm guessing "

Correct.

I don't see any evidence that the dumb white christian males running the show have any problem letting mathematicians and chemists solve problems for them. If you were talking about the German Nazis you'd have a point since they rejected "Jewish" physics. However, the dumb white American christian males in this country had no problem learning from jewish nuclear physicists - or Nazi Missle designers for that matter.

Mathematics and Chemistry are easy. The most difficult science to master and apply is Political.

PairTheBoard
Old 07-15-2005, 07:15 AM

"Mathematics and Chemistry are easy. The most difficult science to master and apply is Political."

Are you admitting my comment about the demographics of the top mathmeticians and chemists? You might quarrell with my ten times number but I think you are.

Anyway there are two points to be made. Any subject that has questions where the answer is not debatable is almost certainly harder to master than those where that is not true. That's common sense since in the non technial subjects you can have differing opinions and not be worried about being proven wrong. Those philosophy majors who were arguing that it is just as difficult to come up with a good political system as it is to invent or even fully understand an MRI are out of their minds.

Don't forget I was talking about the best ten thousand, Your flippant remark that it was easy, I don't think even you believe. You know as well as I do that there is probably not one political scientist in the world who could become one of the top ten thousand mathmeticians if a gun was held to their head and they had twenty years to learn. But a decent number of mathmeticans or chemists could become great political scientists if they had to. (Because ability in math is correlated to overall thinking ability)

Anyway, even if you don't agree with the above I will reiterate that you admitted that religious American Christians are far less likely to become superb at the hard sciences than Asians, Jews, and Agnostics. And I know that most people will agree, albeit reluctantly, that they therefore are smarter.

Oh and by the way I also have no doubt that these same groups would make better political scientists as well if given the chance.
Old 07-15-2005, 07:56 AM

I studied Math at very high levels. To me it was easy. I've also participated in Groups for many years where I've been able to observe how people manage themselves within the group dynamic - applied politics. Even though I'm far "smarter" in mathematics than most all the people I run across, I came to the conclusion long ago that most of them are far smarter than me in their management of the group dynamic. I'm guessing most of them would be smarter than you in this regard as well. There are many ways to be "smart". Those who boast of their smartness in specialized areas but do not appreciate this fact are not really very smart imo.

PairTheBoard
Old 07-15-2005, 08:04 AM

Fine. Whatever. But do you admit that American religious Christians are much less likely to be superb at academic subjects where the correct answer is not a matter of opinion, than Jews, Asians and (to a lesser extent) agnostics?
Old 07-15-2005, 08:28 AM

There's an interesting theory I ran into several years ago concerning this and genetics. What my friend proposed is that the Catholic practice dating back to its early days of recruiting intelligent men for its clergy and thus taking them out of the gene pool has contrubuted to the lower IQ scores you typically find when compared with other groups such as Jews and Asians. I'm not so sure of the impact of this though since first of all we're only talking a very small segment of the population, and I've always been on the skeptical side that one who is disposed to the opposite sex can be so easily recruited to something like this, meaning that the preferences of at least a lot of these folks may have been homosexual to start with, to the point where they may not have been candidates for the genetic pool to begin with.

KC
Old 07-15-2005, 09:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Fine. Whatever. But do you admit that American religious Christians are much less likely to be superb at academic subjects where the correct answer is not a matter of opinion, than Jews, Asians and (to a lesser extent) agnostics?

[/ QUOTE ]

If they were to pursue those subjects in equal numbers I have no reason to believe they would not do equally well. Unless of course there is now a prejudiced attitude among the elite in those areas that would produce discriminatory barriers.

PairTheBoard