Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-14-2005, 03:14 AM

Default Re: Calling based on username of villain!

[ QUOTE ]
Yes I just need to know how to do the math...it seems pretty complicated, Im having trouble so far. IF BB calls only 30% of hands we should push every time it seems....but if they call 40-50 it drastically gets lower. Eventually we should be able to figure out the optimal pushing range for the SB and optimal calling range for the BB, assuming they know their opponent plays perfectly.

Anyway I believe that perfect play has the SB pushing around 51% (22+,A2+,K2+,Q4o+,Q2s+,J7o+,J4s+,T9o,T7s+,98s) of the time, and the BB always calling with the top 38% (22+,A2+,K4o+,K2s+,Q9o+,Q6s+,JTo,J9s+,T9s) of hands. I could be wrong about the way I figured this out however.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's not that hard to do using the "compute all" feature in Eastbay's tool. If you check out his new lesson, "Mind the Gap," he explains how to do it.

btw: thanks yet again, eastbay. you are the man.
Old 07-14-2005, 05:25 AM

in reference to the reverse gap
[ QUOTE ]

There are maybe some players that play like that but I feel that they are the minority.

[/ QUOTE ]
I just wanted to emphasise this. I see even extreme examples of the reverse gap in the $50s but that doesn't mean that its a normal occurence. I doubt that the $11s are different enough to tilt it to the norm.
Old 07-14-2005, 05:26 AM

Well yeah, basically you remember it a lot more when someone does something stupid as opposed to when they simply make a normal raise.
Old 07-14-2005, 11:14 AM

So you're the spitecaller that sucked out on my suckout.

I'm wondering why this is a clear fold for me (As the SB)

Pushing the next hand with 2 more behind me including the monster stack doesn't seem too appealing. Taking a hit from the blind puts me to 435 and then Sabrazack get's odd to call with blank cards.

I've only got 100 or so 22s under my belt this week (just started) enlighten me?
Old 07-14-2005, 03:29 PM

mike there is someone else with a short stack. There is not a constant onus on you to steal chips, itd be nice, but your opponent has to make a move to.

It's extremely important to get 3rd place and you should do everything possible to make this as likely as possible. This doesnt always mean just going allin with any 2 the first chance you get. It sometimes means folding and giving yourself almost no fold equity and simply hoping to outlast the other player. Note that I don't think your push from the SB is terrible against a typical partypoker player, but it's important not to have so much fear of being shortstacked, as it happens sometimes. If you start showing reckless aggression while your opponent sits tight, you could easily make yourself a much larger underdog to get 3rd place.