Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-01-2005, 10:47 PM

Default Re: I was hoping this wouldn\'t happen

Lovely. Now the Bush Worshippers can bring to our own Supreme Court all the great wisdom and judgment they have already shown in Iraq.

q/q
Old 07-02-2005, 12:08 AM

Default This is a No Lose Situation for Conservatives

O'Conner made a number of liberal/activist decisions including limiting political speech 60 days before an election (mCCain-Feingold).

If I were Bush, I'd nominate Janice Brown. She is pro-property rights (like O'Conner) and after that the recent decision were they said govt has the right to take private propterty and give it to private individuals we need judges like Janice Brown.
Old 07-02-2005, 12:57 AM

Default The US needs another conservative SC Justice like it needs another

war.

Anyway, what is exactly a conservative these days? Well, judging from what the currect conservative administration is up to, I guess it's someone who

- supports restriction of individual liberties, in the name of a common benefit such as the war against terror

- accepts that his cash can be confiscated almost at will by law enforcement agencies, without a warrant or a court order, in order to facilitate the war against drugs

- is solidly behind a spending binge and the resulting black hole of a deficit, the likes of which have rarely been seen before, because they are necessary in the war against tyranny

- supports laws against conservation of the environment, because this helps business investment in its war against poverty

- finds nothing wrong with the heavy comminglement of religion and state in all walks of political life, as part of the war against immorality

- supports totally free and unrestricted trade and capital flows because this facilitates the war against unemployment (even when this means the loss of his job to an unknown Chinese or Indian person, for one tenth of an American wage).

...Should be quite easy to find candidates for the O'Connor seat.
Old 07-02-2005, 01:08 AM

"I want a small government that dosnt intrude into peoples lives and returns resposibility to the individual. I also hope Bush appoints a conservative judge that uses the power of the state to curtail individuals choices about any number of life style choices."
Because like most people very few people are consistent in their thinking.
However, I would argue it is liberal judges who interfere more with people's lives.

*It was conservative judges who fought restrictions on political speech 60 days before an election (McCain-Feingold).
*It was was primarily conservative judges who voted that California had the right to regulated medical marijuana.
*It was conservative judges who voted to protect private property from being taken by govt and given to another private owner.
Old 07-02-2005, 01:13 AM

Default Re: The US needs another conservative SC Justice like it needs another

[ QUOTE ]
- accepts that his cash can be confiscated almost at will by law enforcement agencies, without a warrant or a court order, in order to facilitate the war against drugs

[/ QUOTE ]

FYI, Cyrus: many (or perhaps most?) of the unconstitutional asset seizure/forfeiture laws were originated by Democrats. John Kerry in particular was a major sponsor or author of at least one such bill which became law, as part of the "war on drugs". Dems including Kerry have also pushed hard for banking anti-secrecy laws and suchlike.
Old 07-02-2005, 02:05 AM

Default Thumbs down

[ QUOTE ]
FYI: Many of the asset seizure/forfeiture laws were originated by Democrats.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why would you think I'd have a second's hesitation in seriously booing the Democrats who did that ?
Old 07-02-2005, 02:08 AM

Default Alice

[ QUOTE ]
It was was primarily conservative judges who voted that California had the right to regulated medical marijuana.

[/ QUOTE ]

What ??

You mean to say that conservative judges were in favor of medical pot and liberal judges against it?

Where and when did that happen?
Old 07-02-2005, 02:40 AM

Default Re: Alice

[ QUOTE ]

What ??
You mean to say that conservative judges were in favor of medical pot and liberal judges against it?
Where and when did that happen?

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you pay attention to the news at all?
Old 07-02-2005, 03:35 AM

Default Re: Question for Democrates

Democrats don't filibuster someone because of the color of their skin.

Nor do I suspect Republicans would either.
Old 07-02-2005, 09:59 AM

Janice Rogers Brown or Miguel Estrada!