Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-30-2005, 08:20 PM

Default Re: Paul Phillips WSOP Hand

I love how people rant about it being a coin flip and then completely ignore the 5750 already in the pot. I also love how poorly villain in the hand played his hand. I just wish Paul would have won the hand.
Old 06-30-2005, 08:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
In a tournament, with as many chips as Paul had (2 1/2 dozen BB's), the call is absolutely terrible. Big time DONK!

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe if you repeat yourself a sixth time without any supporting argument, THAT'll be the one that tips the scales.

[ QUOTE ]

Indeed, I think it was higher. I was unlucky that he had the ace of hearts in his hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL,.. You gotta be kidding me.. Is this a joke? You're a put on right?? How'd you get into Paul Phillips account?!

[ QUOTE ]

Agreed.. This call is absolutely hideous.. People condoning it because "Hey It's Paul Phillips, I must be the right play" are complete morons.

I don't know what Paul was thinking but his head wasn't in the right place on this hand.. A player of his ability risking his entire tournament on a 50-50 coin toss.. When he's capable of outplaying half the field.. Big Time Donk Call!! BIG TIME!!

Horrible, Horrible Call!

[/ QUOTE ]

So someone puts you all in while your holding AK and your assuming pocket pair here... so you'd basically not call here just because it is a coin flip and ignore that the pot has also already grown to 50% of your current stack? I wonder how many people run you over in tourneys with that weak tight play?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
You have to believe that he has more than the 38% that he needs, right?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes I think so, I just wanted to point out that this is not as a clear call as some of you think.

[/ QUOTE ]

sure it is...what's the hand range?

I'll start:

AK/AQ
AJs
AA-77
KQ (weighted by .5)
Harrington's 10% bluffing rule (we'll use 5% since some of the bluffing hands are actually beating PP)

Given that range, he's almost exactly 50%.

How narrow would the range have to be to justify a fold?

Your turn.
Old 06-30-2005, 08:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I love how people rant about it being a coin flip and then completely ignore the 5750 already in the pot. I also love how poorly villain in the hand played his hand. I just wish Paul would have won the hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

Me too.. then all these people would be applauding PP for making the correct call in such a difficult situation!
Old 06-30-2005, 08:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Me too.. then all these people would be applauding PP for making the correct call in such a difficult situation!

[/ QUOTE ]

no, they would still be trolling because that's what they do.
Old 06-30-2005, 08:27 PM

Yea.. Keep playing pots that'll knock you out of the tournament 50% of the time and give you no piece of the prize money.. That'll get you a LONG way!!

LOL.
Old 06-30-2005, 08:31 PM

He must not have had too much confidence in his ability that day if he couldn't get himself anything better than a 50% shot to double up.

"but.. but.. but... HE HAD POT ODDS!!!"

LMFAO!!

Old 06-30-2005, 08:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The call is +EV if AK is in the hand range no matter what other hands you surmise

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with this, my point is the following, there are 16 combinations of AK, and 18 combinations of AA,KK,QQ (Lets take just 16). I don't think that in a WSOP event versus a player you don't know is equally likely for him to bet his last 10k with AK or AA-QQ in this spot.