Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-30-2005, 07:26 PM

Default ***Results and Thoughts***

Thanks for all the replies guys.

As far as the preflop debate that was raging for a while goes, my thinking was pretty much along the lines of what ML4L posted. I was confident in my ability to "outplay" villain postflop; that is, I wasn't going to go broke on a Kxx or Qxx flop, and despite being out of position, I felt stacks were sufficiently deep that there was a good chance I might simply take the pot away from him postflop.

I was thinking for a while that perhaps the reverse implied odds of a hand like KQ with such deeps stacks might make it not worth playing at all, but as I said before, going broke on a K-high or Q-high flop wasn't of concern.

Now, a KQx flop is a different story.

In terms of the line I took, I agree with those of you who pointed out that part of the reason I found myself in such a sticky situation on the flop was because of my failure to exercise pot control by CR'ing, opening myself up to a yucky three-bet. If I had simply check-called the flop, or led the flop and called villain's raise and taken things from there, this hand would have been a lot easier to play.

That said, my reasoning behind CR'ing the flop was the 7 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]6 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] hand that had gone down just a few hands before. In that hand, I flopped trips on a drawy board, and led out big. I thought that by CR'ing on such a drawy board, rather than leading out, I might make villain think I had a big draw, rather than a pretty strong made hand.

On top of that, I thought that the size of villain's three bet showed some weakness. It smelled like AA or AK to me, not something that had me beat.

So I called his rereraise--making the pot ~$1,200, and leaving me w/ ~$2,500 and villain w/ ~$1,800 behind--with the intention of leading any non-A, non-K turn. If an ace had fallen, obviously I'm now behind AA and AK, too, and if a King fell, I wanted to give villain the opportunity to hang himself with his QQ/88/AK, and wanted to give AA the idea that I might have a big draw. I didn't think villain would have made such an awkward-sized three-bet on the flop w/ even the biggest of drawing hands, so I wasn't really scared of an open-ended or flush card falling.

Well, the turn was the b-e-a-utiful K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], I checked, villain bet $500. I called.

River was 8 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. I pushed, villain called and tabled AK, and MHIG.

Thanks again.
Old 06-30-2005, 07:29 PM

Default Re: ***Results and Thoughts***

i like it
Old 06-30-2005, 07:31 PM

Default Re: ***Results and Thoughts***

testament to why the preflop call is a no-brainer.

neon, im glad you followed through with the hand. i personally would have exercised pot control, but given your image at the time, it is not too bad.

the only way i am check-raising the flop is if i am comfortable calling the yucky 3-bet raise from a possible AA/AK that isn't giving me respect.

ni han.
Old 07-01-2005, 10:58 AM

Default Re: 5-10 NL: Deep stacks

I always love a happy ending where hero beats the bad guys.
Old 07-01-2005, 12:29 PM

Default Re: 5-10 NL: Deep stacks

[ QUOTE ]
I always love a happy ending where hero beats the bad guys.

[/ QUOTE ]
HEY!!!