Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-28-2005, 12:19 PM

Default Re: I Found Moneymaker!!!

I kinda feel bad for Moneymaker too. Not because of his finances (I'm sure he's got a lot more money than me, and a lot more than he had before his WSOP win). And don't forget the money he's probably making from his book.

It's just that, from reading the last chapter of his book, it seemed like his WSOP win was a deal with the devil, in a way. He became wealthy, sure - but he lost his wife in the process. He sounded (at least to me) a little lost and disallusioned at the so-called "glamorous" life of the professional poker player. Now he's playing poker and posing for pictures in a supermarket - which doesn't sound like a great life no matter how easy the money.

It also sounds like, from his book, that he had quite a gambling problem - and a big win is usually the worst thing that can happen to a person with a gambling problem.
Old 06-28-2005, 12:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You can buy beer/liquor at a grocery store in Maine as well. I read somewhere that Mainers drink more beer per capita than any other state in the US. Must be the cold winters.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think cheeseheads would disagree with that very strongly [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] Though the "cold winter" thing still applies!

Bobby
Old 06-28-2005, 12:30 PM

Is he separated or divorced from his wife ?
Old 06-28-2005, 01:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hmm...I guess I'm wrong. I lived in Playa del Rey about 12 years ago, and don't remember it to be the case (I guess I'm mistaken -- either that, or they've changed the law). Also lived in Seattle, and I don't remember liquor at a local store there (but being wrong about CA has me questioning that). Well, I'm certain that in OR you have to go to a liquor store (and 1 out of 3 is not very good).

[/ QUOTE ]

I live in Santa Monica and you can get hard stuff at the grocery store here.
Old 06-28-2005, 03:01 PM

If his wife left and took half of Chris' cash with her, I shall declare her a supercunt.
Old 06-28-2005, 03:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Why do you feel bad for him? He's a millionaire. And no matter what people say, you'd have to be the luckiest man alive to win the WSOP without any skill.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am not and never was on the Moneymaker hating bandwagon. I would feel bad for anyone who's making a living doing that, not just Chris.

But I feel especially bad for him because the last thing I want to do as a professional poker player is tour supermarkets playing heads up with some donk in front of five people. I'd want to be, you know, at the WSOP in front of the lights and cameras, raking in huge pots and winning WSOP bracelets.

Let's examine this again:

a. Play heads up for nothing with nobody
b. Play for millions of dollars with top professionals

Which one would you rather be doing?

[/ QUOTE ]

c. Living vicariously through Gavin Griffin who is using my $ playing for millions vs top professionals. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 06-28-2005, 03:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Difference between Raymer and Moneymaker?

One of them can play good poker. One can't.

Nick

[/ QUOTE ]

I would agree one is better than the other. But I think they're both good. After MM's win he got 2nd in a WPT. He can't be that bad.
Old 06-28-2005, 03:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Difference between Raymer and Moneymaker?

One of them can play good poker. One can't.

Nick

[/ QUOTE ]

I would agree one is better than the other. But I think they're both good. After MM's win he got 2nd in a WPT. He can't be that bad.

[/ QUOTE ]i still think he pretty bad [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 06-28-2005, 03:33 PM

I don't feel THAT bad for him.

If I were to win $2.5-million somehow at the WSOP (or even only $1-million) I think I could do a better job 'cashing in' on my fame and fortune even if I were to never again make a major-tourney final-table.

I think Moneymaker likely has a kinda bad agent or manager or whatever it is he has.

A few months after he won it there was a local TV spot in Memphis that I saw only 2 or 3 times for a men's clothing store.
Moneymaker is at a table against someone else...announcer says, "And Moneymaker is ALL-IN...and his opponent calls!!"
They show a close-up of the cards and Moneymaker has AA and the other guy has KK...the river is an A even though he didn't need it.
"And moneymaker wins again!!" or something like that.
Then a close-up on Moneymaker, "And YOU TOO can look like a winner at such-and-such men's clothing. Get 3 shirts and 3 ties for only $99 (or whatever it was)."

The commercial looked really cheap and stupid.
And this was shortly after he had won the whole thing and was a huge commodity.
I'm guessing he just wanted a couple free suits and agreed to do this commercial with them. Or else it was as a favor to a friend.
It couldn't have made him much money....it was a terrible commercial and I only saw it air a couple of times.

Think about it.....they've got Chris moneymaker peddling their product....and even THEY decided to stop showing the ad just on local TV.
(it's possible this chain of stores is bigger over in the Nashville area and maybe it showed a bit more over there....don't remember the store).

I don't feel terrible about him and his divorce either.
Sounds like they had serious problems before the WSOP anyway.
I'm divorced too...it's not the worst thing in the world.

Basically....what this boils down to is that some people are feeling sorry for the guy who can't seem to cash-in very well on his huge fame.

Here's a question - Doesn't Raymer have a deal with Stars where they are paying his entry to some of the major tourneys? He continues to shlep for Stars (no disrepect to Stars...it's my favorite site actually...and they ARE sending me to the WSOP afterall)?
does Moneymaker have a similar deal with Stars? If he does I haven't heard about it. If he doesn't then why not?

Just curious I suppose.

I find it interesting that even though he isn't as famous, Raymer seems to be doing more with his WSOP win then Moneymaker did.
(I refuse to accept ANY argument that Raymer is more famous than Moneymaker....virtually ALL of my non poker-playing friends and family have heard of Moneymaker and NONE of them have heard of Raymer).
Old 06-28-2005, 03:36 PM

Well in the epilogue to the book, he says that his new life as a poker player, with all the travel, etc., put a strain on their marriage, and that he and his wife had split up. He said something like she had signed on to marry an accountant, not a professional poker player.

Maybe they got back together since then, don't know about that.