Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: .
Turning Stone Pro 83 72.81%
tdarko 31 27.19%
Voters: 114. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-24-2005, 09:34 AM

Default Re: Apartment building laundry ettiquite! Resolution necessary!

[ QUOTE ]
Dave, this experience reeks of Cornell. Are you in Ithaca for the summer?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yessir!

Up at the vet school at 9 AM every day... it's nice up here though.

Any plans to come up to TS?

-dB
Old 06-24-2005, 09:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Dave, this experience reeks of Cornell.

[/ QUOTE ]

Because the girl's Asian?

-dB
Old 06-24-2005, 09:43 AM

My solution to this problem was to do my laundry at like 3 in the morning. No one else around, it was quiet, and I could get it done quickly. Throw the cloths in the washer, get 45 minutes of sleep. Wake up, throw them in the dryer, get an hour of sleep.

Rinse and repeat.

Of course, the best solution is to get your own stuff.
Old 06-24-2005, 10:01 AM

Default ---Your are ignoring this washer user---

[ QUOTE ]
Ignore that. Let's say my watch was broken or whatever.
Would you remove someone's WET clothes from a dryer? ...or would you assume that someone is still using that dryer?

[/ QUOTE ]

If your clothes have been allowed the regulation 60 minutes and they are still wet, then the dryer has malfunctioned. Maybe it malfunctioned just that one time (you're unlucky) or it's damaged. This means that

(a) You are present when the dryer finishes the run and your clothes come out wet -- so that you can defend your claim that your clothes are not dry and the dryer's work is not done, in which case you need to re-use the dryer. (Which is kinda messy argument admittedly, because what happens if after the 2nd run your clothers are still wet? The answer probably is that you all need to make sure your building's dryer is working properly or needs more than 60 mins to properly dry the clothes, in which case your clothes are legitimately used also as a test and have the right for at least a 2nd run.)

or

(b) You are absent when your dryer run finishes, so the next user rightfully removes your clothes, in whatever condition they are in, and starts using the dryer herself.

Note that it's not up to the next user to determine whether your clothes are wet or dry or anything in-between. That's up to you to determine, hence the caveat about being present.
Old 06-24-2005, 10:03 AM

Default Re: ---Your are ignoring this washer user---

[ QUOTE ]
you need to re-use the dryer. (Which is kinda messy argument admittedly, because what happens if after the 2nd run your clothers are still wet?

[/ QUOTE ]
If your clothes are still wet after 2 cycles, then the dryer obviously isn't going to do the other person any good either, so this is moot.
Old 06-24-2005, 10:04 AM

Type up some rules that YOU thingk are reasonable. Print them off and post them in the laundry room with "Thank you for your cooperation, The Management" underneath.
Old 06-24-2005, 10:07 AM

Default Re: It is Your Fault

[ QUOTE ]
I suspect you left your clothes unattended longer than you let on. She probably waited 15 minutes (or more!) for you to return, got tired of waiting, and started doing her laundry.

[/ QUOTE ]

While this may be a valid proposal, it's not true. As the original post says, I returned an hour after my laundry was put into the machine for a 60 minute cycle.

Proof? Of course, I don't have any, but it suffices to say that I wouldn't see any purpose in posting an untrue story and expressing righteous indignation.

(Do people actually do that? Change important details of a story and then post them and say 'wow, what an [censored]'? when the guy himself actually beat up his neighbor's son or something?)

-dB
Old 06-24-2005, 10:09 AM

Default Re: It is Your Fault

[ QUOTE ]
You were inconsiderate.
When sharing only one W/D among 7 apartments it is a huge pain to get your laundry done. When someone:
1. leaves their laundry and
2. the machine has finished its cycle.

Then the machine is fair game. I've seen jerks leave their laundry in dryers for three hours. The world does not revolve around you. If I were her I would have put your clothes in the dryer and then commandeered the washer but she was under no obligation.

I suspect you left your clothes unattended longer than you let on. She probably waited 15 minutes (or more!) for you to return, got tired of waiting, and started doing her laundry.

If she were really nice, she could have put your wet clothes in the dryer but she was probably MAJORLY IRRITATED with you for wasting her time...

[/ QUOTE ]

Why would you make these assumptions? Why would he come to 00t and change all the details of a story? You're very odd.
Old 06-24-2005, 10:53 AM

Default Re: RESULTS

nh sir
Old 06-24-2005, 10:58 AM

For several years I owned laundromats. This exact scenario caused tons of problems as we didn't have enough dryers to cover all the washers and we didn't have enough of the large 50 lb. washers to make everyone happy.

The rule that I always enforced was that the washer or dryer is yours as long as it is running. The second that it stops it is then fine to take someone else's clothes out. The answer that I always gave to those that got upset was that their quarter(s) entitled them to the use of the machine for the time of the cycle and as long as they didn't want to pay rent for the using the machine after their cycle that it was someone elses turn.

This is a rather long answer to your question but I think she was right in taking your clothes out of the washer as the cycle had ended and she had no idea when you were coming back. You say you were 2 minutes late but many people leave and come back hours later. On the other hand she was clearly wrong taking your wet clothes out of the moving dryer. If the dryer was stopped, wet clothes or not, I am on her side on this one also.