Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-16-2005, 05:55 PM

Default Re: Using a timing tell

It not just about what hand we put villian on but also what hand he puts hero on. Most people at this level respect 3-bets pre-flop taking them as a sign for a big-hand, they are not expecting hero to be 3-betting here with a non PP that doesn't contain an ace with a high kicker. If villian has AJ he's got to think hero was 3-betting loose to call this river bet, in my oppinion too often villian will come to the conclusion they are behind hero's hand and fold AJ, AQ here. You will fold out AK but not enough to make this +ve.
Old 06-16-2005, 05:56 PM

Imagine you got to the same point with A10, do you bet it?
Old 06-16-2005, 06:01 PM

I understand that some players are absolutely terrible and will call down with Ace high all the time, but unless we have a read as this player being of this super-duper bad type then there's no way we're getting called by a worse hand.

I'd say more often than not that this player is going to fold the river if he has Ace high and call with his Pocket Pairs which he wasn't betting because he was afraid of being against a bigger pocket pair. And he'll surely call/raise if he made a flush.

-WT
Old 06-16-2005, 06:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It not just about what hand we put villian on but also what hand he puts hero on. Most people at this level respect 3-bets pre-flop taking them as a sign for a big-hand, they are not expecting hero to be 3-betting here with a non PP that doesn't contain an ace with a high kicker. If villian has AJ he's got to think hero was 3-betting loose to call this river bet, in my oppinion too often villian will come to the conclusion they are behind hero's hand and fold AJ, AQ here. You will fold out AK but not enough to make this +ve.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well... here's the thing: you are giving them WAY too much credit.

Obviously, results orientated thinking isnt great, but, in this case, the results are important: he called with AJo.

So, you cant say: they will see what hero did, and will fold AJ, because, some of the time, they wont.

IS that some of the time a big enough number? I dont know.
Old 06-16-2005, 06:39 PM

I was not stating they never call clearly that would be rubbish. However I am saying in my opinion you won't get called by worse hands here enough to make betting profitable.

There are bad players but even bad players make correct decisions, and this is not one of the hardest poker decisions villain is faced with when you take the assumption (which I feel is true) that the average player takes a 3-bet pre-flop to be a premier hand.
Old 06-16-2005, 06:48 PM

The limit this is being played at is an important consideration because the average player at 2-4 has a different range of hands here and will often play them in a different fashion post flop than compared to the average 20-40er in a similar situation.

I could see more of an argument for this river bet at higher limits.
Old 06-16-2005, 07:21 PM

FWIW, this would be the perfect time for the villain to go for a river check-raise bluff. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 06-16-2005, 09:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No. If you understand why I bet AK, you should understand why I won't bet AT. Getting called by worse hands is the primary purpose of the bet.

-SmileyEH
Old 06-16-2005, 11:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No. If you understand why I bet AK, you should understand why I won't bet AT. Getting called by worse hands is the primary purpose of the bet.

-SmileyEH

[/ QUOTE ]

How often is a worse hand EVER calling here?

If you use that "timing tell" in a pot w/ me, it's most likely because my internet is delayed. (Leave us slow-pokes at the table alone!! It's not our fault until we can afford to pay for Cable iNet!!)
Old 06-17-2005, 12:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

-SmileyEH

[/ QUOTE ]

How often is a worse hand EVER calling here?

If you use that "timing tell" in a pot w/ me, it's most likely because my internet is delayed. (Leave us slow-pokes at the table alone!! It's not our fault until we can afford to pay for Cable iNet!!)

[/ QUOTE ]

This thread is dead.

-SmileyEH