Two Plus Two Older Archives

Old 06-09-2005, 12:45 PM
Revid Revid is offline
Junior Member

Default Re: My Party Poker account was hacked, lost $600

[ QUOTE ]
You own an IT business so let me ask you 2 questions.

1 - Does the fact that hand histories are being constantly logged dirtectly into your hard drive make it make easier for someone to hack into it?

2 - Is it really that difficult, for a program that would see your cards, to hack into your system?

With all the advancements in technology, I can't imagine how it's that unimaginable to do. I'd appreciate any light you can shed on why it is or isn't. Thanks.

[/ QUOTE ]

1. No, The only info in your HH is your username. Also if your computer is secure (firewall, router) then you don’t need to worry about someone gaining access to files on your computer. This doesn’t mean you should have a word document with your passwords in it though.

2. I think I know what you mean. For example if I am working on a customers computer remotely I use Windows Remote Desktop or VNC to view their desktop and fix problems. If you could view someone’s desktop you could see what hands they are playing.

This is definitely possible but like I said before, as long as you have a router and a software firewall like Zone Alarm you should be safe from these types of intrusions.

The fact is if someone is good enough he could get through almost any security. It is kind of like having an alarm in your car, if a thief sees the alarm he will go onto the next one.
Old 06-09-2005, 01:13 PM
autobet autobet is offline
Senior Member

Default 3 Limit Rule on Password Attempts

I contact Party Poker asking them how many times your could attempt to enter a password before your account would be put on hold for security reasons. Here is their response:

Thank you for contacting us.

As per your query, you can attempt to enter the password for three times and after that your account will be hold for couple of hours due to security reasons. Then you can login with correct password.

However, If you have forgotten your password, you can now follow the below procedure to request for a password:

Step 1: Enter your account name or screen name and click on the "Forgot Password" button on the Main Lobby.
You would be taken to the website where you have to enter one of the following information: email address, screen name or account name and then click on "Continue Step 2". An email would be sent to your registered email address.

Step 2: All you need to do is, check the email sent and click on the link that reads "Click Here". This would now direct you to the website once again.

Step 3: On the website just enter your New Password and confirm it. Click on "Submit". Your password would be reset and a confirmation email would be sent to your registered email address.

Note: Please do not disclose your password to any individual/organization claiming to represent us. We will never ask you for the password to your account. If you receive any email or phone call from anyone requesting you to provide your password please report it to us immediately.

Our Customer Care Department is available 24/7 to assist you via email.

Thank you for choosing us as your online gaming site!

Sandhya.K
Poker Customer Care

Old 06-09-2005, 02:56 PM
Phlebas Phlebas is offline
Member

[ QUOTE ]
playing poker for money over the internet is illegal, so the police are not going to help

[/ QUOTE ]
Hmm, forgot that you have silly laws in the US [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]. Still, it doesn't alter that the perp who accessed the account broke laws himself and probably ones that are considered more important than online gambling. If his sort are allowed to get away with it because people won't report him then they're just going to keep on doing it over & over again to others.
Old 06-09-2005, 03:23 PM
UATrewqaz UATrewqaz is offline
Senior Member

Location: Atlanta

Stories like this make me nervous about leaving any large portion of my bankroll on any site... It's just such a pain to move it over when ya need it though.