Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-08-2005, 11:48 PM

Default Re: Regarding the Right Wing Echo Chamber

[ QUOTE ]
Look, kurto, Gitmo itself has been discussed at length on this board (perhaps 18 months ago? I'm not sure of the time frame) and I participated in the discussions. Questions were raised and exploreded concerning Padilla, legalities or lack thereof, and much more.

[/ QUOTE ]

And 18 months we're learning that it was more widespread and worse then just a bunch of photographs. This is why its back. Nothing's been fixed.

[ QUOTE ]
Right now the issue being discussed is AI's incendiary and misleading labeling which reflects unfairly on the U.S. That isn't simply mere semantics.

[/ QUOTE ]

And the point is its a non-issue. Its a diversion from the real issue. Furthermore, the label was put into context so that if anyone listens to the whole speech, the word was not misleading or inappropriate. What reflect poorly on the US is what's happened... not how people characterized what happened.

The point of the 'echo chamber' comments is that this is consistant with how they deal with potential problems in our policies/administration/president-- make the issue about the messenger.

[ QUOTE ]
Gitmo itself may very well be worthy of another thread of its own right now. But that doesn't mean that AI's inflammatory and unfair rhetoric gets a pass, or is unworthy of discussion.

[/ QUOTE ]

Like I said... this is business as usual.

Remember... Newsweek was the issue too! Doesn't matter that they were right. What they said appeared inflammatory so the subject became about Newsweek. Ignore the content. Attack the messenger.

To anyone who reads the whole speech,... they won't feel mislead by the comment.
Old 06-09-2005, 12:24 AM

Default Re: Regarding the Right Wing Echo Chamber

Well I read the paragraphs surrounding the quotation in question and felt the term "gulag" was inappropriate and that it carried connotations which were not applicable. So I guess we'll have to disagree on that. As for another thread on Gitmo itself, maybe we should have one. But, if you are so inclined, how about making it a separate thread?