Default Re: Talking differently to black people

[ QUOTE ]
bling bling nigga

[/ QUOTE ]

Please be quiet.
Old 06-07-2005, 10:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I found myself talking to a woman who, from the sound of her voice, was almost certainly African-American.

[/ QUOTE ]

In the OJ Simpson murder trial a prosecution witness who had heard someone speaking, but not seen the person, testified that they sounded black. Johnny Cochrane jumped all over this saying it was racist, yada yada yada. I was amazed that the prosecution allowed that to stand unchallenged. I don't think the defence could have found a single linguist who would support Cochrane's position. But Clark & Darden just looked sheepish, like they'd been caught in a Furmanesque transgression.

Anyway the phenomenon of which you wrote is well known in linguistics. Recalling from conversations with my linguist sister in law, it usually occurs when the speaker wants to ingratiate himself with the other. It is much, much less likely when the speaker is in a position of power or authority over the other.

Sometimes it's a matter of sheer practicality though - many times when I'm speaking to an American they have trouble understanding my first name - Peter. I pronounce it 'Pee-tuh' they know it more like 'Peeder'. Sometimes, especially on the phone, I just go with it to move things along.
Old 06-07-2005, 10:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I found myself talking to a woman who, from the sound of her voice, was almost certainly African-American.

[/ QUOTE ]

In the OJ Simpson murder trial a prosecution witness who had heard someone speaking, but not seen the person, testified that they sounded black. Johnny Cochrane jumped all over this saying it was racist, yada yada yada. I was amazed that the prosecution allowed that to stand unchallenged. I don't think the defence could have found a single linguist who would support Cochrane's position. But Clark & Darden just looked sheepish, like they'd been caught in a Furmanesque transgression.

Anyway the phenomenon of which you wrote is well known in linguistics. Recalling from conversations with my linguist sister in law, it usually occurs when the speaker wants to ingratiate himself with the other. It is much, much less likely when the speaker is in a position of power or authority over the other.

Sometimes it's a matter of sheer practicality though - many times when I'm speaking to an American they have trouble understanding my first name - Peter. I pronounce it 'Pee-tuh' they know it more like 'Peeder'. Sometimes, especially on the phone, I just go with it to move things along.

[/ QUOTE ]

Linguists have researched this well. Both whites and African Americans can discern race from a brief phone call, and with surprising accuracy.

One black professor used this research to attack mortgage companies and rental companies who claimed to not know the race of a caller, but gave different info/prices to white and black callers. Bi-dialectical himself, he demonstrated with two calls to the same rental company. In one he "sounded" white, the other, black. The difference in the treatment he received was amazing.

That having been said, I often pick up phrases or saying that express feeling or meaning well. I like the white North Carolina "might-could," for example.

And yes, I often say, "my bad." It expresses apology and accepts responsibility, while at the same time conveying a certain nonchalance, which suggests that although you have done wrong, you have apologized and will speak of it no further. Great phrase.
Old 06-07-2005, 10:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My girlfriend is Jewish and I always yell "Schnell, schnell!" when I want her to hurry up. She doesn't like it.

[/ QUOTE ]

This reminds me of when I was in school a few years ago and working on a group project. I hadn't spoken to any of my group members before. One of the guys in my group was Jewish. Whenever he'd offer up an opinion of how the project should proceed, I'd immediately respond with "That's Kosher with me". I must have said it a half dozen times during our meeting.

Prior to that meeting, I'd never used the phrase "That's Kosher" in my life. I actually didn't realize I'd said it so often until he finally gave me a dirty look the 5th or 6th time it came out of my mouth.

Needless to say, I didn't make a good first impression on my team members.
Old 06-07-2005, 11:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
At work today I had to call the Philadelphia Pension Office to get some information for a client. I found myself talking to a woman who, from the sound of her voice, was almost certainly African-American. I was repeating back the address she gave me, made a mistake, she corrected me, and instead of saying "oh, my mistake" I said "aw, my bad." I NEVER say this. I have a feeling I subconsciously was trying to sound "hip" or something, I have no idea why. Does anyone else ever find themselves unconsciously making stupid little changes to their language or behavior when talking to someone of a different race/culture?

[/ QUOTE ]

Its called your "Blaccent"
Old 06-07-2005, 11:00 PM

I talk very differently at work (where most of my colleagues and clients are black or Hispanic) than I do at home. Same way I talk differently to people from back home (down South) than I do up North. I see no problem with this. I am linguistically versatile.

NT
Old 06-08-2005, 03:02 AM

--I've used the expression "That's mighty white of you," exactly once in my life--in front of a black guy who's as nice a guy as you'd ever want to meet. Until I read this thread, I always wondered what prompted me to say that.

--No one has mentioned yet how our voices change when we speak to women. A co-worker once razzed me for the sissy voice I slip into when speaking with women on the phone. He didn't even realize he did it, too--a lot worse than me.

--I grew up in New England. My accent cracked everyone up in Basic Training. Yet in Week Four, the word "Y'all" came flying out of my mouth.
Old 06-08-2005, 04:09 AM

I did something really similar recently. I was standing in a long post office line and this black woman just wanted to buy one stamp, but the machine wouldn't take her quarters. I offered her a couple quarters to exchange, and those didn't work either. Then I remembered I had a few stamps in my wallet, pulled them out and offered one to her. She made change for me and said "you al'ight." I said as she handed me the change (geez am I an idiot) "Ok, now we're straight up."

Straight up!? That doesn't even make any sense. We're straight, maybe, but I don't say that either. I wanted to smack myself.

I think she choked back a laugh.

eastbay
Old 06-08-2005, 08:34 AM

sry, my drunk roommate thought it might be funny to post while i wasnt here. [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]
Old 06-08-2005, 09:01 AM

I usually just say 'Boy' a lot and let my whip do the talking. <font color="white"> JOPKE </font>

</font><blockquote><font class="small">En réponse à:</font><hr />
The worst is when talking to british people. Sometimes I catch myself starting to mimic the different pronounciation and cadence, and it makes me want to punch myself in the head (I can't stand it when people fake english accents).

[/ QUOTE ]

One of my good friends is British, but grew up almost entirely in a really rich, but really rural suburb here in Atlanta because his dad runs the North American portion of a company. Anyway, both of his parents have very strong British accents, and he has a southern accent, except when he's talking to them. It's like he suddenly turns into Little Lord Fauntleroy when he's on the phone with them. It's the weirdest thing to experience, because he keeps it for about 2 sentences afterward, before going back to how he usually speaks.