Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-08-2005, 04:57 AM

Default Re: The kind of calls you need to make at the $215s....

Man.

I dont make this call. Its close though. If I was doubting my game I'd definitely make this call, but I feel like while just by the numbers this might be a +ev situation, I'd rather just hang on to my folding equity for the x% of the chance that I lose. It marginal EV wise that I'd rather pass on it and take higher EV situations (generally this is stealing blinds). It's quite a big difference if nick can lose this hand and have like 600-700 chips. But in reality, I don't make this call. You can't just plug hands into an ICM calculator and make decisions.

-Jason
Old 06-08-2005, 05:00 AM

I wish i had read this before I post. But yeah, I think Gramps and Raptor are on target here.
Old 06-08-2005, 05:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
sigh. when will people learn, that its not always about how +cev it is to make the call. holla

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats what I was thinking its a clear +CEV call, but does it have a positive $EV.

Mack
Old 06-08-2005, 05:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Man.

I dont make this call. Its close though. If I was doubting my game I'd definitely make this call, but I feel like while just by the numbers this might be a +ev situation, I'd rather just hang on to my folding equity for the x% of the chance that I lose. It marginal EV wise that I'd rather pass on it and take higher EV situations (generally this is stealing blinds). It's quite a big difference if nick can lose this hand and have like 600-700 chips. But in reality, I don't make this call. You can't just plug hands into an ICM calculator and make decisions.

-Jason

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly. One important concept to remember is that you should pass up a slightly EV situation if a higher EV situation comes up later. This call may be very slightly +EV punching in some numbers, but you will almost assuredly have a better situation than this with the # of players left.
Old 06-08-2005, 05:21 AM

Ok but you realize this means you are basically making it so that the button is wrong by quite a bit to not push any 2 there. If you want to play a style where it's clearly correct for me to push with any 2 every single time, then I just can't see how that's correct, especially if you suspect that's what I'm doing and yet pass up on clear +CEV calls anyway.
Old 06-08-2005, 05:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Ok but you realize this means you are basically making it so that the button is wrong by quite a bit to not push any 2 there.

[/ QUOTE ]

This just proves my point, you will find much better opportunities than calling with A2 and praying ur a 60% favorite (best case scenario) and not dominated.
Old 06-08-2005, 05:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Ok but you realize this means you are basically making it so that the button is wrong by quite a bit to not push any 2 there.

[/ QUOTE ]

How so? Say it's folded to the button here, he pushes for 1k, and you're in the BB with A2o. Comparing to your UTG push, I'm going to assign a wider range of hands to the button, and call with some hands that I wouldn't call the UTG push with.
Old 06-08-2005, 05:27 AM

I don't understand? The hand in question was the button pushing?
Old 06-08-2005, 05:52 AM

In response to the "button any two correct" comment, I was just pointing out that a button push does not get the same respect as an UTG push, as most players (rightfully so) push a much wider range from the button. So...just because someone folds A2o to an UTG push, doesn't mean they're going to pass up a calling opportunity when that push comes from the CO, button or SB. Saying pushing any two becomes correct is overstating it I think (especially since you have to get by an SB who's not going to give you much respect either).

For the people saying fold A2o to the UTG push, the point is that you can't necessarily put a pusher there on a wide range of hands there. It's player dependent. If the UTG pusher is suspected to be pushing just about any two, then easy, easy call. Pushing top 1/4 of hands, bad call (even according to ICM by someone else's math).

And even if the UTG's range makes it slightly +EV chip-wise, a skilled player (playing against some bad opponents) is going to on average have multiple +EV stealing opportunities (if FE is still present) 100% of the time by folding the A2o. By calling with the A2o, you miss out on those opportunities the half (or so) of the time you call with your A2o and lose. And winning those chips the half (or so) of the times you call with A2o and win isn't going to give you some immediate stealing edge right away either (you're far away from the bubble) to compensate for that opportunity cost of lost FE the times you call with A2o and lose.

Yada-yada, I'm now officially rambling.
Old 06-08-2005, 05:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
sigh. when will people learn, that its not always about how +cev it is to make the call. holla

[/ QUOTE ]

Hopefully not until I'm retired, living on some tropical island in the Pacific...