Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-10-2005, 12:12 PM

Default Re: Blind Play: A Word of Advice for 5/10 6max

I think that good players can probably play more hands profitably out of the blinds and eek out a small profit. I think that playing more hands out of the blinds will increase your standard deviation proportionally more than it will increase your win rate because you are playing more marginal situations. I think that most 2+2ers are probably just mediocre players and are not much much better than the competition, just tighter.. but they -think- they are much better. I think that suggesting that playing a bunch of hands out of the blinds will magically increase your win rate by a huge amount is probably not correct. I think that everyone on here crying about their big downswings probably want to avoid marginal situations that increase their standard deviation and may or may not increase their win rate.

If your win rate is very low, you do not play well. If you do not play well, then you should not be playing marginal hands out of position. I think suggesting that people with low win rates should take on all kinds of marginal situations is an invitation to disaster. Disaster in a bigger deluge of pity-party downswing posts.
Old 08-10-2005, 12:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]

If your win rate is very low, you do not play well. If you do not play well, then you should not be playing marginal hands out of position. I think suggesting that people with low win rates should take on all kinds of marginal situations is an invitation to disaster. Disaster in a bigger deluge of pity-party downswing posts.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, rory, we all know how you feel about blind-play [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img].

I would agree to this extent: If you are a 0BB/100 or 0.5BB/100 player at, say, 5/10, then looser play in the blinds is probably not for you. You've got other, bigger problems to work on.

But if you are a 1.5BB/100 or 2BB/100 player, then you can probably profit in the long-term (if not immediately) by putting a little more money in in these marginal situations. There's definitely money to be made there, a significant amount (between SB completing and looser BB defense, I'd guess at least 1BB/100), but you just need to learn to play it right.
Old 08-10-2005, 12:52 PM

I also want to hear about the problems with this at 10-20.
Old 08-10-2005, 01:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I also want to hear about the problems with this at 10-20.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you're a decent player, I don't think that loosening up in the blinds hurts you, but it definitely doesn't help you as much. For one, there's a lot more open-raising, so you have fewer opportunities to complete in the SB. Postflop, people are bluffier and trickier, so you'll pick up fewer pots bluffing at a ragged flop with nothing. In my experience, at least.
Old 08-10-2005, 01:31 PM

Location: duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem (mets are 9-13, currently on a 1 game winning streak)

[ QUOTE ]
I think that good players can probably play more hands profitably out of the blinds and eek out a small profit. I think that playing more hands out of the blinds will increase your standard deviation proportionally more than it will increase your win rate because you are playing more marginal situations. I think that most 2+2ers are probably just mediocre players and are not much much better than the competition, just tighter.. but they -think- they are much better. I think that suggesting that playing a bunch of hands out of the blinds will magically increase your win rate by a huge amount is probably not correct. I think that everyone on here crying about their big downswings probably want to avoid marginal situations that increase their standard deviation and may or may not increase their win rate.

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
Old 08-10-2005, 01:36 PM

Rory, your posts never disappoint. NH.
Old 08-10-2005, 01:37 PM

The three of you should just go get a room [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img].
Old 08-10-2005, 01:37 PM

Can I watch?
Old 08-10-2005, 01:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hey want some blind play advice for 5/10 DON'T PLAY LIKE YOU ARE PETER_RUS OR NATE, you aren't that good, play tighter.

[/ QUOTE ]

My blind play has substantially improved (.12 and .06, respectively), since reading Peter's advice on blind play. Just FWIW, you don't have to be Nate or Peter -- you just have to be them respective to the rest of your table, and at 5/10 6max, that ain't hard.

Rob
Old 08-10-2005, 02:03 PM

Default Re: Sample Size

[ QUOTE ]
In 70000 hands of 6-max you'll be the small blind about 14000 times assuming an average of five players dealt in. Obviously you are playing a lot of hands in SB so assume a standard deviation of 20 BB/100. 14000 hands is 140 x 100 hands. Sqrt(140) is approximately 12. Divide into 20 BB/100 and you get a standard deviation of 1.7 BB/100 for small blind play over your 70K sample.

Same discussion applies to the big blind. Your blind play win rates are virtually worthless.

[/ QUOTE ]

A sd of 20/100 for this sample is too high, and the number given was bb/hand, not bb/100 hand. Still, with your sd the confidence interval is between (13.3) and (16.7), the latter of which is still better than many people are doing.