Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-27-2005, 09:51 PM

Default Re: Massachusetts Seat Belt Law... unconstitutional?

There's nothing in the Constitution that says the state can't tell you what to do. Also, there's nothing about seatbelts. Also, it doesn't matter, because you should wear your seatbelt all the time anyway.
Old 05-28-2005, 06:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]

My point was simply that it is the state imposes its will on its' citizens? Isn't that unconstitutional?

[/ QUOTE ]

Um NO.

The whole point of a constitution is to spell out exactly how, when, and why the government can and can't impose its will on citizens.

Seriously, I really wonder how many Americans even know what the constituion says (apart from the 2nd amendment).
Old 05-28-2005, 06:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i live in indiana. the law says you must use a seatbelt when you are in the front seat of a car, but not in a truck. i have an SUV, which i can plate as a car or a truck. when plated as a car, they can pull me over and ticket me if they see me without a seatbelt on. when plated as a truck, they cannot give me any seatbelt ticket at all.

also, helmets are not required when riding on a motorcycle here. makes a ton of sense, eh?

seatbelt laws have nothing to do with "public safety", and everything to do with the insurance lobby's enormous power due to generously donating to political campaigns.

cheers!

[/ QUOTE ]

precisely. its insurance that imposes these laws. nothing more.

you should be happy about these laws though. enforcing seat belt laws cause insurance rates to drop. $35 is miniscule in comparison.
Old 05-28-2005, 11:37 PM

I've talked to a cop about in Jersey... you can't get pulled over for someone in the backseat not wearing a seltbelt. Don't think you'd get ticketed either.
Old 05-28-2005, 11:56 PM

Except it is usually the volunteer emts or firefighters doing the scraping. How does that raise your taxes? Not to mention if there is tax money being spent, the scrapee is also a tax payer. If he's paying the money he has a right to the service.
Old 05-29-2005, 12:23 AM

Default An affringement of liberty: YES....Unconstitutional: No!

The US Constitution primary spells out the power and limitations of the FEDERAL Govt. In theory, the 10th amendment gives the states ALMOST carte blanc power to anything thing not limited to the federal govt in the constitution. In practice, activist judges have been ignoring the 10th amendment for years.
Old 05-29-2005, 01:04 AM

You not wearing your seatbelt doesn't significantly affect my safety, with the marginal exception that maybe it helps you stay in better control of your vehicle in some situations where you'd otherwise slide or move around in your seat. However, my insurance premiums sure as hell are higher because of the collective idiocy of people not wearing their seatbelts and their extra medical expenses.