Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > The Stock Market
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-08-2005, 01:45 PM

Default Re: Google.

Good to see you again, man! Do you have any good stock tips!?
Old 06-08-2005, 04:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I've never traded options... but I think GOOG will be my first one. I will be waiting to get on the PUT side. Of course it's easy for google to go up and up and up because there hasn't been any set backs yet. Just wait till it sets back 10%... everyone is going to start unloading locking in profits.. causing a serious long squeeze. This will combine with all the short money hopping in and selling causing even more of a decline. Everyone keeps saying the $350 number. So what hapopens when it gets there? Only thing I don't like is how expensive a contract is. Kinda tough for me to risk say $2000 on a July $300 put.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why don't you just write some calls? Thats where the money is.
Old 06-09-2005, 02:45 PM

Stay on the trend until it is over.

Long term, this usually means a penetration of the 200DMA by 3% or more on a closing basis.

Short term, this usally means a penetration of the 50DMA by 3% or more on a closing basis.

I notice GOOG is in an uptrend according to this definition.

http://stockcharts.com/def/servlet/SC.web?c=GOOG

A very strong and impressive uptrend, actually.

Those who like +EV situations may develop a habit of buying uptrending stocks as they near important areas of support such as the 200-day or 50-day moving averages.

Others types who follow trends like to buy when price breaks out to new all-time highs.
Old 06-24-2005, 11:20 AM

Default For those who own Google or don\'t own.

8 minute slideshow. We are entering a new revolution.

The Future of Google
Old 06-26-2005, 09:31 PM

I vote not to jump on the bandwagon. Here are a few of my reasons why:
1. Most everybody loves google. That's a red flag for me.
2. Perfection seems to be priced in. If the future turns out to be less than perfect, I would expect the stock to develop an air pocket on the downside.
3. Insider selling. Use the google search engine to check this item and item 4.
4. Current stock options outstanding. These represent future dilution of shareholder's equity. I don't know the company's plans for issuing more stock options in the future.
5. I noted in the slideshow praise for amazon. No mention of amazon's stock price drop from over $100 to less than $10 earlier this decade. Jeff Bezos was Time's man of the year at the beginning of this ugly decline.
6. This bull market is long in the tooth.
A few more comments. I don't know what google's stock price will do; that's up to the auction marketplace. Predicting the future is a hazardous undertaking; have a plan if you're wrong. For example, if you're long the stock and it started dropping relentlessly, at what price would you cut your loss? For the purpose of full disclosure, I am not long or short google stock at this time, and I have no connection with the company whatsoever. fwiw
Old 06-27-2005, 01:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Software Geniuses are a lot like Poker Geniuses...
Born not made... and very quirky...
And in very limited supply.

They don't care about money...
But care about interesting work and non-conformist culture.

[img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

As long as we're pigeonholing people... I picture you driving a blue VW bug with a KerryEdwards04 sticker you haven't had the heart to pry of your back bumper yet...
Old 06-27-2005, 01:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I vote not to jump on the bandwagon. Here are a few of my reasons why:
1. Most everybody loves google. That's a red flag for me.
2. Perfection seems to be priced in. If the future turns out to be less than perfect, I would expect the stock to develop an air pocket on the downside.
3. Insider selling. Use the google search engine to check this item and item 4.
4. Current stock options outstanding. These represent future dilution of shareholder's equity. I don't know the company's plans for issuing more stock options in the future.
5. I noted in the slideshow praise for amazon. No mention of amazon's stock price drop from over $100 to less than $10 earlier this decade. Jeff Bezos was Time's man of the year at the beginning of this ugly decline.
6. This bull market is long in the tooth.
A few more comments. I don't know what google's stock price will do; that's up to the auction marketplace. Predicting the future is a hazardous undertaking; have a plan if you're wrong. For example, if you're long the stock and it started dropping relentlessly, at what price would you cut your loss? For the purpose of full disclosure, I am not long or short google stock at this time, and I have no connection with the company whatsoever. fwiw

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm going to start playing golf now.