Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-09-2005, 10:19 PM

Default Re: Someone owes me money

if this post isn't made up then you should sell your dilemma to hollywood... sounds like a decent movie plot and it will probably cover the $5k. you might just need to write in a hot daughter/wife for jimmy that you're banging.
Old 05-09-2005, 10:50 PM

here's what i'm getting from this...

you met this guy named adam, who was willing to loan you small sums and you always paid him back...

he borrowed a large sum but hasn't paid you back...

how did you get from 'he trusts me with his money' to 'i should trust him with mine'? sounds like you just got scammed.

as for getting your money back,

if 'jimmy' runs a poker club, then 'jimmy' has a reputation that is probably worth a lot more to him than 5k. add the fact that you're a member of the underground poker community up there...

make him see that paying you back, even if it's as stake money at his club, is the only +EV solution. i'm assuming that you know enough of his potential players to wreck his business if word got out that he doesn't pay his debts.

as for using 'muscle', i'm against it. perhaps, at the most, you could just have 'greg' (if he's a threatening looking dude) be there when you meet jimmy and just knid of hover in the background. very subtle. but i wouldn't use him.

once, i was owed money, and a buddy of mine offered to get it back for me, as a favor, as i had sent a lot of business to his tatoo parlor. i quickly refused, as the 1.5k was simply not worth the potential risk to me. (this guy was a seargent-at-arms for the banditos, i have no doubt that he would've gotten my money back, but fk, man, i didn't want to be responsible if my debtor tried to fight him and got his arms broken or something).

so i swallowed the loss, and eventually got about half of it back in cash and the guy's TV... meh.
Old 05-09-2005, 10:52 PM

Dude, if the bank lends me money and then I lend my money to someone else, do you think the bank is gonna go after the person I lent it to or me?

Adam vouched for Jimmy. Adam is on the line. Period.

Lawrence
Old 05-09-2005, 10:56 PM

I hope that the guy who owes you isn't Degen or KaneFu....then you're completely f*cked.

Yugoslav
Old 06-09-2005, 12:46 PM

Default UPDATE

For the second time, Adam got Jimmy to write a cheque for the amount in question.

And for the second time, the cheque bounced.

I'm ready to go beat the [censored] out of adam myself, but i have 2 people whose opinions i actually respect have told me he's genuinely a good guy.

i'm going to go play at adam's club, and play on the sheet, assigning the stake to jimmy, and cash out for the full amount.
Old 06-09-2005, 02:04 PM

Default Re: UPDATE

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Try getting a check next time.

[ QUOTE ]
i'm going to go play at adam's club, and play on the sheet, assigning the stake to jimmy, and cash out for the full amount.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good idea.

NT
Old 06-09-2005, 02:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think somewhere someone wrote (Scarnes on Poker?) that 50% of all gambling debts aren't paid. Seems to be reasonably accurate. Variance is a bitch.

[/ QUOTE ]

That looks like a good number to me. I have only leant money to good friends, and people I know that have the money to pay me back. Of the 7 people or so I have leant money to, 3 have not paid me back (in full). I have written off two of them because I don't think I will ever see them again and the debts were small, but the 3rd person that owes me I will ride until I get my money. (He's currently in jail, and even had the nerve to try to get me to bail him out).

After this last loan I made, I don't plan on ever making another loan again. Money is an ugly thing even between close friends and family.
Old 06-09-2005, 03:04 PM

Currently in jail? Nice. You guys have far more interesting friends than I do. Then again, none of mine owe me any money.
Old 06-09-2005, 03:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Quote:

Try getting a check next time.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's a Canadian thing.
Old 06-09-2005, 03:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
For the second time, Adam got Jimmy to write a cheque for the amount in question.

I'm ready to go beat the [censored] out of adam myself, but i have 2 people whose opinions i actually respect have told me he's genuinely a good guy.

[/ QUOTE ]

Tough situation ma man. I think you are doing the right thing though (playing with the house credit and then trying to cash out instead of using violence). What do you do if they refuse to cash you out for the full amount? Also, is this Adam's club or Jimmy's club? Are they in it together?

At worst, even if Adam is a good guy, he needs to pay you back a portion of this loan (half) and together you bite the bullet. If he doesn't shoulder any of the bad debt then he will likely vouch for the wrong person again in the future, which may lead him to more trouble than he wants to get in to (I know a lot of people who don't have your understanding nature and would MAKE Adam pay back the full loan).

Good luck.