Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-08-2005, 10:38 PM

Default Re: Gigabet\'s HH and our SnG Strategy

[ QUOTE ]
What do you think of the popular strategy on these boards of avoiding a lot of marginal situations? I know a lot of people on this board don't play anything other than SNGs and aren't terribly good postflop, so they avoid them for that reason, but you seem to embrace them. I think it is partly because you play against opponents who are more predictable in their own way, who you play with regularly and keep notes and memory on, who will make mistakes in different ways than 11 and 22 players, but what do you think of the general early game strategy on this board?

[/ QUOTE ]

I love postflop play, its the most fun, just raising with nothing, etc. Does this kind of play work or is it done in the $50s+? I don't anyone is going to laydown AK but similar plays?
Old 05-08-2005, 10:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What do you think of the popular strategy on these boards of avoiding a lot of marginal situations? I know a lot of people on this board don't play anything other than SNGs and aren't terribly good postflop, so they avoid them for that reason, but you seem to embrace them. I think it is partly because you play against opponents who are more predictable in their own way, who you play with regularly and keep notes and memory on, who will make mistakes in different ways than 11 and 22 players, but what do you think of the general early game strategy on this board?

[/ QUOTE ]

Your question is akin to asking a chess player what he thinks of the latest in opening theory in checkers.
Old 05-08-2005, 10:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Wouldn't it be more the case that he plays back at you, given positions? And wouldn't this line of raise-then-run-away encourage him to stand up to you, defeating this purpose:

[/ QUOTE ]

You are missing the idea that I almost always will want him to call my preflop raise. Of course he is going to want to play when I raise if I play a hand this weak. But when I represent strength on the flop or later streets, I would like him to leave the hand with a clear conscious.
Old 05-08-2005, 10:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This hand is most interesting to me, by far. I think I understand your thinking, and this is clearly a play that has been lacking in my game. Care to elaborate?

[/ QUOTE ]

One of the reasons I didn't mind posting this HH was because I had KQ in this hand. If I had Q4 I probably wouldn't have posted this HH. Take that however you would like.
Old 05-08-2005, 10:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]

You are missing the idea that I almost always will want him to call my preflop raise. Of course he is going to want to play when I raise if I play a hand this weak. But when I represent strength on the flop or later streets, I would like him to leave the hand with a clear conscious.

[/ QUOTE ]

So you are willing to sacrifice some of your stack early on in order to build "image", for lack of a better term?

Would you agree that at a $10 or $5 S&G, this kind of action is futile? Do you think this kindof play is worth it at, say, a $33? $55? Thanks
Old 05-08-2005, 10:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Of course he is going to want to play when I raise if I play a hand this weak. But when I represent strength on the flop or later streets, I would like him to leave the hand with a clear conscious.

[/ QUOTE ]

That makes sense. But you began the post emphasizing the importance of being able to steal the XLS's blinds. Do you anticipate him taking a flop with you when you try to steal, thinking it easier to take off of you then? I.e. you're inducing him to try to resteal postflop, setting up a reresteal? I may be reading too much into this, but that's the only way I can tie improved blind stealing into this play. Would love to hear more.

-Kings
Old 05-08-2005, 11:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
That makes sense. But you began the post emphasizing the importance of being able to steal the XLS's blinds. Do you anticipate him taking a flop with you when you try to steal, thinking it easier to take off of you then? I.e. you're inducing him to try to resteal postflop, setting up a reresteal? I may be reading too much into this, but that's the only way I can tie improved blind stealing into this play. Would love to hear more.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is just a problem in semantics. In my mind, I am stealing a blind when I take down a pot without a confrontation, I usually am raising a smaller amount than most, because I would rather take the pot down on the flop, than preflop. Which in my head is still blind stealing, since the relative strength of my hand is going to mean very little when I make the initial play.
Old 05-08-2005, 11:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
This hand is most interesting to me, by far. I think I understand your thinking, and this is clearly a play that has been lacking in my game. Care to elaborate?

[/ QUOTE ]

One of the reasons I didn't mind posting this HH was because I had KQ in this hand. If I had Q4 I probably wouldn't have posted this HH. Take that however you would like.

[/ QUOTE ]

So I guess your answer to "Care to elaborate?" is "No".

I have no problem with that. Just curious.

I liked this hand because it didn't appear to be done for meta-game reasons or require 2nd level thinking from your opponents in order to work. These are things that don't really apply at the levels I play at.

It also wasn't a math problem like the later push/fold or call/fold hands.
Old 05-08-2005, 11:15 PM

I think he told you a little something with that reply. He would make that play regardless of his hand.

I'm guessing he had a lot of respect at the table at that time and so his UTG raise would be feared.

I'm sure he's got more reason though, that we don't understand.
Old 05-08-2005, 11:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
and you don't know me

[/ QUOTE ]

Guess another name change is in order then. As at that level there aren't going to many players like that.