Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-10-2005, 10:26 PM

Default Re: Historicity of Jesus of Nazareth

Wow... religion is flooding psychology, OOT, and politics. Maybe it needs it's own forum. *cringe*
Old 05-11-2005, 02:38 PM

Default Re: Historicity of Jesus of Nazareth

Plenty of historical reference, but Josephus can't be right because he's a Jew?

How racist can you get?
Old 05-12-2005, 05:49 AM

Default Broken record

[ QUOTE ]
Plenty of historical reference, but Josephus can't be right because he's a Jew? How racist can you get?

[/ QUOTE ]

Where is the racism, please?

I pointed out the logical inconsistency (which you seem also to adopt) that a Jewish man of the 1st century AD cannot possibly be referring to Jesus Christ as the Messiah!

Tha text's author would have to be Christian to write that. But Josephus was a Jew. So, your alleged evidence cannot get past the starting gate.

As to your oft-promised, never-produced "plenty of historical reference" I'm still waiting...
Old 05-12-2005, 09:13 AM

Default Re: Broken record

You clearly undestand not of what you speak.

The early church consisted of Jews believing He was the Messiah. (Luke was the only Gentile amoungst the disciples).

It's know use arguing with you until you grow up and learn to know what your talking about before you speak on it.

This conversation is over. Please show maturity by not wasting my time with BS.
Old 05-12-2005, 10:45 AM

I have a question to those who don't believe Jesus was devine,but DO believe he existed.

What is your opinion of Jesus? In other words do you think he was a good man, a bad man etc..
Old 05-12-2005, 11:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I have a question to those who don't believe Jesus was devine,but DO believe he existed.

What is your opinion of Jesus? In other words do you think he was a good man, a bad man etc..

[/ QUOTE ]

My opinion is not what you are looking for, as I do believe in the Divinity of Jesus, but...

Islam regards him as a prophet (although not on the same level as Mohammad) and Hinduism regards him as a holy man -- if that helps.
Old 05-12-2005, 11:41 AM

I guess I was playing Devil's Advocate. I don't see how they can regard Him as a holy man but not the Son of God.

In my opinion he is either the a liar, l lunatic, or the Son the God. There can't be any middle ground.

I believe the later, but how can they justify saying a man who dedicated his whole life to preaching that He was in fact the Son of God is a holy man but everything he said was a lie.
Old 05-12-2005, 11:45 AM

Default Re: Was jesus real?

This is what alot of Jews have been taught about Jesus:

Jesus was a famous first century rabbi whose Hebrew name was Rabbi Yehoshua. His father was a carpenter named Joseph and his mother's name was Mary. Mary became pregnant before she married Joseph. Jesus was born in a stable in Bethlehem during a Roman census. Jesus grew up in Nazareth and became a learned rabbi. He traveled all over Israel preaching that people should love one another. Some people thought that he was the Messiah and he did not deny this, which made the other rabbis very angry. He caused so much controversy that the Roman governor Pontius Pilate had him crucified. He was buried in a tomb and later his body was found to be missing since it had probably been stolen by his disciples.

None of us can claim to know whether or not the story of Jesus is a Christian fable (like Adam and Eve, etc...). If Jesus did not exist, Christians are still free to worship the symbolic aspect of his existence. Maybe Jesus was a hippie liberal Democrat who just wanted people to get along and love one another...or maybe he is the Son of God. Either way, most Christians are more concerned with the moral values that Jesus represents than with his flesh and blood existence, IMO.
Old 05-12-2005, 12:01 PM

Default Why is this in the Politics forum and not OOT? n/m

[img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 05-12-2005, 12:03 PM

That's a good question. I wish I had an answer.