Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-06-2005, 09:40 PM

Default Re: Study Reveals Baseball\'s Great Clutch Hitters

and onw might just as well define an at-bat as any plate appearance; one might say that a FC should count as a hit; one could say that a walk should count as a hit. The people who invented that batting average statistic just picked what they thought was dest and went with it. The same can be done for clutch situations.
Old 05-06-2005, 11:08 PM

'Clutch hitting is a matter of interpretation'. You can not measure 'clutch hitting' because it it objective. Two people could develop formulas and derive completely different results. It does make for great discussion though!

Thank you,

Jim Kuhn
Catfish4u
[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
Old 05-06-2005, 11:15 PM

Clutch exists.

I think it is absurd to assume that every MLB player handles stressful situtions equally.

Much like the rest of us, when presented with a tough situation (like bottom of the 9th, with 2 outs) some players will handle the stress better than others.

But:

A) This probably means very little... as they all probably handle stressful baseball situations quite well.

B) It is essentially impossible to measure, as true hitting rates are impossible to determine because of sample size limitations

C) Anyone who cant see why this article proves nothing has some major problems
Old 05-07-2005, 01:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think it is absurd to assume that every MLB player handles stressful situtions equally.

[/ QUOTE ] sure, some people stay calm during stressful situations and some crack. But that does not mean one will perform better at something as highly skilled as hitting in the majors just because stress doesn't get to him. In all goes back to the law of averages and statistics. Good players are more likely to get hits, ergo they are more likely to get hits in "clutch" situations. This doesn't make him clutch, rather it is simply a reinforcement that they are a good players because their likelihood of getting a hit is 50 to 60 points(BA-wise)higher than the average player in the league. All of these arguments otherwise are so incredibly stupid, so please stop it.
Old 05-07-2005, 01:51 AM

pocket jacks is a clutch hand in no limit texas holdem tournament poker.

it seems like every time my tournament life is on the line, and i have jacks, i win. not all the time, just more often than not.. but especially when my tournament life is on the line.

pocket jacks is a clutch hand.