Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-07-2005, 12:46 AM

Default Re: How many of the BIG GAME players are the real deal?

I'm sorry for replying, but Phil I made his money grinding his way up the limits. I remember watching him play 30-60 stud everyday. Winning big tourneys came after he had money.
Old 05-07-2005, 12:59 AM

Barry Greenstein Israel deal.
Old 05-07-2005, 01:13 AM

Firstoff, just becasue he was grinding at 30-60 doesn't mean he was winning. And if winning does not tell us at what rate. If this is all that need to be prven i can go to the bellagio and pick out every guy that plays the 30-60 day and say the same thing. And even if he did win alot in the 30-60. Do you think that is enough to get him in apostion to have abankroll to play 4-8k on a regualr basis? That money came from tournaments. And i'm sure most would not refute this.
Old 05-07-2005, 01:22 AM

I'm not a very good player, but the only difference I see is that you have no balls, but you want to have the satisfaction of saying that if you did have balls you could play in the big game too.

I think this thread is just a roundabout way for you to make yoursel feel better about your nonexistent balls.
Old 05-07-2005, 01:32 AM

I'll have to look into that, and them. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 05-07-2005, 02:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Firstoff, just becasue he was grinding at 30-60 doesn't mean he was winning. And if winning does not tell us at what rate. If this is all that need to be prven i can go to the bellagio and pick out every guy that plays the 30-60 day and say the same thing. And even if he did win alot in the 30-60. Do you think that is enough to get him in apostion to have abankroll to play 4-8k on a regualr basis? That money came from tournaments. And i'm sure most would not refute this.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are out of touch.
Old 05-07-2005, 02:35 AM

Please elaborate? I am out of touch? Are you trying to tell me you think he got the money to play in the big game griding out 30-60? If so, i would have to say you are out of touch. If anyone is gonna say he didn't get the money to play in the big game through tournaments they are out of touch as well.
Old 05-07-2005, 03:07 AM

I think this is an interesting question, regardless of who posted it. In fact, I was just thinking about it today.

You have to assume that, for the most part, none of the regulars in this game have a huge edge. They have to t\rely on the occasional "fish" (better yet, "whale") that sits in to make his name playing the best. Rounders pointed this out in the part about Atlantic City.

So for the most part, I think they just move money around and split the $200,000 or so a month dropped by the fish.

THat being said, I think they are some of the best players in the world, especially when you factor in the ability to play all games well. I dealt for 6 years and in that time I regularily dealt $150-$300 or $300-$600 mixed games. Not the same players, but the same caliber. Just not the same "unlimited" bankrolls. Every player had his strong game, and his weak game. They make their $ in the strong one and dribble some back in the others. And vice-versa.
But what really sets THESE guys apart is the abilty to play THIS level and think of the $ as a tool, not as cash. If they thought of $250,000 like you and I do their games would change just enough to lose that edge. The chips are simply tools to them and they move them with abandon. You have to have no fear whatsoever to play $4K-$8K.

That's what sets them apart. They'd eat us for breakfast, not because they no more or play better. But because of the bankroll necessary to play "comfortably" at this level.

Keep playing hard! Glen
Old 05-07-2005, 03:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think this is an interesting question, regardless of who posted it.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is extremely funny. Ask Greg Raymer the next time you see him his opinion of Smoothcall! You should be ashamed for such ungentlemenly behavior.

Vince
Old 05-07-2005, 03:22 AM

What I meant was that the first 6 or responses had nothing to do with the post, just about who was posting. I liked the question.

Keep playing hard! Glen