Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Software
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-04-2005, 11:07 AM

Default Re: PlayerView/GameTime+ Alternative

GT+ is now going open source. See the forum. You may just want to jump on that.
Old 05-04-2005, 11:14 AM

I think half of you people understand this and half of you don't.

$50 in and of itself is not a large amount of money to a lot of the higher stakes players. It's not a ton of money for me. It's a ton of money for the .5/1 players, but that's besides the point.

Yes, PlayerView has helped me make money. I four table and it made table selection a lot easier. However, I can simply take a little extra time to look at my exported notes to accomplish the same thing. Same thing during play. If I'm in a pot with a player, I can open up their notes to see what my action should be.

PlayerView doesn't do anything special other than place that info on the screen for easy access. I refuse to pay $50 for that convenience.

Some of you say Amir's hard work is worth $50. Movies and video games cost millions of dollars to make and months or years of work. Should Pixar charge $100 per ticket because their movies take four years and millions of dollars to make, while the latest indie film from Lions Gate took 9 weeks and a couple hundred thousand? No, they both cost the same because despite the individual effort behind each one they both are just two hours of entertainment.

Hundreds of hours may have gone into PlayerView, but it's still just an application that projects stats read from one program onto another program. $20 would be more than fair for such a program.

To change gears for a minute, it was made known that GameTime+ is going open source. I think I'm going to pause development until that is done so that I can see if the GameTime+ source is something I can work with. If it's easy to add the features I (and others) need, I may go that route.
Old 05-04-2005, 11:29 AM

If you dont think PV is worth it, dont buy it.

I do applaud your development of a free, opensource, PV alternative. Frankly, this will force Amir to innovate his features, improve his code, and invest in customer support. I hope your improvement of the GT+ software makes the current version of PV obsolete, in fact--and I say that as somebody who just paid Amir $50 for his software.

Online poker is about making money, and as with carpentry, I look at software & books as just tools of the trade. I pay whatever the market charges me and I always have best-in-class tools.
Old 05-04-2005, 01:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you dont think PV is worth it, dont buy it.

I do applaud your development of a free, opensource, PV alternative. Frankly, this will force Amir to innovate his features, improve his code, and invest in customer support. I hope your improvement of the GT+ software makes the current version of PV obsolete, in fact--and I say that as somebody who just paid Amir $50 for his software.

Online poker is about making money, and as with carpentry, I look at software & books as just tools of the trade. I pay whatever the market charges me and I always have best-in-class tools.

[/ QUOTE ]

This was my point, now when I have calmed down.

My other point is that even if u think $50 is a bit much today - as when I once bought Pokertracker - u are also investing in the future, these guys needs $ to do it better. In 6 months it will probably be worth those $50 even for u only wants to pay $20, so the only difference is that u cant use it for 6 months.
Old 05-04-2005, 05:21 PM

Default Re: Crossposted from the Zoo

[ QUOTE ]
This is freaking hilarious. I am also a developer and see the price for PV as quite acceptable. This has been a one man project with an extremely limited market. I would love to know exactly how much time Amir has devoted to PV. After providing support, updates, new feature since last October.. I would be suprised if it was less then a few hundred hours. Selling a thousand thousand copies, to make 50k (pretax) is peanuts, considering the amount of work he will have to put in to keep it up, add new poker room support, deal with PT modifiacations etc etc etc...

Good luck with your imitation. The way I see it, 1 of 3 things will happen:

1) You start work on this a realize how much time and effort it will require and then realize that you will be giving it away and it becomes "vaporware".

2) You scratch out a vastly inferior product with no updates or support and no one cares or uses it.

3) You make a kick ass, superior application that everyone loves and can't live without, and you realize that you deserve to make at least $50k for the amount of time and ingenuity you put into it for the 1000 or so copies you could potentially sell.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm also a software engineer and you are one of the few people in any of these PV whiner threads that has a clue. I agree with everything you said.

Good post.

OP - I wish you luck man. No sarcasm intended.

KoW
Old 05-04-2005, 05:59 PM

Default GameTime+ going OPEN SOURCE

Actually the developer of GT+ just announced that he is going open source with his program. He wants people to have a free alternative to PV. Hes going to post the OS this weekend.

True GT+ is limited, but I dont think its going to be that way for much longer.

www.pokerdominion.com for details.
Old 05-05-2005, 01:37 AM

Default Re: You are greedy whiners

[ QUOTE ]
I suppose it's debatable whether PV is worth $50 or not but I find it pretty funny that on a forum full of "great" poker players that are supposedly crushing the online games and taking the fish for all they are worth, so many are complaining about a measly 50 bucks.

$50 bucks is [censored]. Just pay it and get back to the tables for crying out loud.

[/ QUOTE ]

$50 is still $50, regardless of how badly you are crushing online poker.

I'm a financially struggling medical student who is in an enormous amount of debt; want to send me some [censored]?
Old 05-05-2005, 03:35 AM

Default Re: You are greedy whiners

[ QUOTE ]
so many are complaining about a measly 50 bucks.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually most people said they would pay 15-20 bucks for it, so they are actually crying over $30. LOL.
Old 05-05-2005, 05:33 AM

Default Re: GameTime+ going OPEN SOURCE

[ QUOTE ]
Actually the developer of GT+ just announced that he is going open source with his program. He wants people to have a free alternative to PV. Hes going to post the OS this weekend.

True GT+ is limited, but I dont think its going to be that way for much longer.

www.pokerdominion.com for details.

[/ QUOTE ]

Interesting. I assume the OP will support this open source effort rather than start from scratch.
Old 05-05-2005, 12:25 PM

Default Re: GameTime+ going OPEN SOURCE

Well it's Linux vs Windows then - but this time Windows doesn't have as much of a head start (auto-importing tables and a muck-grabber will be the first thing on the GT+ to do list I suspect)