Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-01-2005, 09:37 PM

Default Worse than wrong

I truly could not care less if people choose to ignore reality and "rally by the flag" -- and persist in their distorted idea of patriotism. Here's what an otherwise staunch ally of the American side in the Iraq war has to say on the matter of "trigger-happy Americans" :

[ QUOTE ]
"Excessive use by the U.S. forces of overwhelming firepower has also been counterproductive, provoking antagonism toward the coalition among ordinary Iraqis."

[/ QUOTE ]

"Antagonism"... Don't you just love British understatement?

That's from the April 2005 Report of the Select Committee on Foreign Affairs of the United Kingdom Parliament. The committee, representing the three major UK parties, also said that the heavy-handed policy has led to the slowdown of reconstruction which had strengthened the Iraqi resistance. It added that the occupation forces had clearly failed to curb the violence and said that the new Iraqi government should try to negotiate with the fighters. The Report "concludes that to date the counter-insurgency strategy has not succeeded."

So, the trigger-happy cowboy attitude of the American armed forces in Iraq is worse than wrong; it's a mistake.
Old 05-01-2005, 09:40 PM

Default Get high on this

Iraqi boy that survived an "unfortunate" targeting of
civilians by the American military.
How damn unlucky.
Old 05-01-2005, 10:02 PM

Default Re: Worse than wrong

Still waiting for your proof that Americans shot men, women and children on the sidewalk in Baghdad...
Old 05-01-2005, 10:18 PM

Default Pentagons conclusions that clear?

FYI,
the Italian authorities have stated that they contradict the conclusions.
Old 05-02-2005, 01:02 AM

Default Re: Sgrena Lied

I think the incident itself was an accident. But I think the womens response to it was criminal. We now know from the stalitte data that her car was going to fast, tried to plow through the checkpoint, and soildiers fired at the last possible second. Despite that, SHE ACCUSED THEM OF CONSPIRING TO KILL HER. That's sick and twisted and irresponsible. I think its the culture of anti-war people trying to become victims for a cause that made her do such a rediculous thing. Maybe she didn't stage the incident, but she did lie about what happened and made wild accusations afterwards, the kinduv accusations that get innocent soildiers thrown in jail.
Old 05-02-2005, 01:16 AM

I agree that her response was not very wise, but I'm sure I'd be mad as hell if somebody shot me by "accident".
Old 05-02-2005, 02:28 AM

Granted. The whole thing is rather said. I can understand her reponse, but think it is wrong. Just as a vigilanty killing someone who killed thier family member is wrong, but I understand them.

Still, it would have been nice if cooler heads had analyzed this and looked at evidence instead of making assumptions about what happened based on prejudiced beliefs.
Old 05-02-2005, 04:40 AM

Default What are you high on exactly ?

It's obvious it ain't good for you.

[ QUOTE ]
Her car was going to fast, tried to plow through the checkpoint...

[/ QUOTE ] Yeah, absolutely, that's what the car was trying to do, plow through an American military checkpoint!

I mean, those Italian men and women in the car were on a suicide pact, for sure. And the Italian journalist is mad because the American soldiers spoiled it for her by not killing everybody in the car.

[ QUOTE ]
Maybe she didn't stage the incident...

[/ QUOTE ] Nah, don't cut her any slack!

I'm sure the crazy Italian journalist staged the incident, from start to finish. Hell, I bet even her abduction was a set-up. To disgrace the Bush administration by forcing American soldiers to kill her later on in a military checkpoint.
Old 05-02-2005, 09:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Still waiting for your proof that Americans shot men, women and children on the sidewalk in Baghdad.

[/ QUOTE ] You'll have to make do with these stories, while I bother to check the library about the indiscriminate killing of civilians in the streets of Baghdad as the American tanks rolled in.

Feast yer thirsty eyes.

FoxNews Nov. 7, 2003 from Tikrit, Iraq:

"The U.S. military swept through Iraqi neighborhoods early Saturday, firing at houses suspected to be harboring hostile forces in the wake of an apparent attack on a Black Hawk helicopter that killed six U.S. soldiers."

The report quotes the commander of the 1st Battalion, 22nd Infantry Regimen, Lt. Col. Steven Russell, as saying,
"This is to remind the town that we have teeth and claws and we will use them."

Spoken just like the blackshirts that ravaged Lidice.
Old 05-02-2005, 10:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Still waiting for your proof that Americans shot men, women and children on the sidewalk in Baghdad.

[/ QUOTE ] You'll have to make do with these stories, while I bother to check the library about the indiscriminate killing of civilians in the streets of Baghdad as the American tanks rolled in.

Feast yer thirsty eyes.

FoxNews Nov. 7, 2003 from Tikrit, Iraq:

"The U.S. military swept through Iraqi neighborhoods early Saturday, firing at houses suspected to be harboring hostile forces in the wake of an apparent attack on a Black Hawk helicopter that killed six U.S. soldiers."

The report quotes the commander of the 1st Battalion, 22nd Infantry Regimen, Lt. Col. Steven Russell, as saying,
"This is to remind the town that we have teeth and claws and we will use them."

Spoken just like the blackshirts that ravaged Lidice.

[/ QUOTE ]

Did you read the link you put here?
Mentions NOTHING about shooting at civilians.
Does mention shooting at houses.
No civilians.
What uniform are the insurgents wearing?
If we kill an insurgent did we just kill a civillian?