Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-27-2005, 09:33 AM

Default Re: Male Pattern Baldness

[ QUOTE ]
HEY! I am just barely starting to notice that I am losing my hair a little bit. I refuse to let this happen. I am still quite young and dont want to be a que ball in a couple years. What are my options? Any magic pills or something? Anything? Its not anywhere near serouis yet(I have just noticed I used to be thicker up top) but I want stop it before it really starts...Anything?

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't fight it. Go bald with grace. There is nothing more ridiculous than a guy with bad plugs or a bad rug or trying to cover his bald spot with what's left of his hair. (think Trump)

Some women aren't going to like it but some women won't like your build or your nose or something anyway. As was already pointed out hair is not an issue for a lot of women. Just be confident of your appearance and comfortable with yourself and you will be attractive to plenty of women regardless of your hair situation.
Old 04-27-2005, 09:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Do your mother's brothers have hair? If so, don't sweat it.

[/ QUOTE ]

this is an old wives tale.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think so. It's not 100% but I have hair just like my mom's dad. My son also has hair like his maternal grandpa.

[/ QUOTE ]

Alright, time to point out the huge fallacy in your argument. The concept being thrown around here is that male pattern baldness is passed along from your mother. This means that it is not passed on by any male. Therefore the baldness or lack of baldness from your mothers father is irrelevant as according to the concept at hand, males cannot pass along the male pattern balndess gene. The reason you are looking at your mother's brothers is because they received the same genes from your maternal grandmother as your mother. How someone accept the concept that male pattern baldness is passed on from your mothers side of the family, and then start trying to draw conclusions from your mothers father is pure lunacy. Peachy is certainly not innocent in this regard either.
Old 04-27-2005, 12:20 PM

nice call out
Old 04-27-2005, 12:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How someone accept the concept that male pattern baldness is passed on from your mothers side of the family, and then start trying to draw conclusions from your mothers father is pure lunacy.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not if you're from Arkansas.
Old 04-27-2005, 10:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How someone accept the concept that male pattern baldness is passed on from your mothers side of the family, and then start trying to draw conclusions from your mothers father is pure lunacy

[/ QUOTE ]

This is wrong.

Male pattern baldness is a recessive gene passed along on the X chromosome. It is, however, activated by the Y chromosome. The reason you look to your mother's father to find out is because your mother has two X chromosomes, one from your grandfather and one from your grandmother. This, of course, means that when you get an X chromosome from your mother and a Y chromosome from your father, you've got a 50/50 chance of inhereting the baldness gene from your mom (i.e. the gene from your grandfather's X chromosome). If your mother's grandfather on her mother's side was also bald...you will almost certainly be bald.

/fluxrad pours out a 40oz.

That's one for me. And one for my homie Gregor Mendel.
Old 04-28-2005, 12:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
why are you so hostile? haha it's an internet forum chill brotha. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

and yes i do have a clue, to say that bruce willis got brooke burns b/c he is rich makes no sense, brooke burns is rich too. she has a thing for older men and bald heads, she said so in an interview so chill out.

[/ QUOTE ]

i got hostile because your tone seemed patronizing, and i dont really have to hold back because this in indeed an anonymous internet forum.

i didn't imply that she's with bruce willis only because he's rich, or that she isnt rich herself, or anything you seem to think i meant.

i could have simply said "he's bruce willis," "he's a movie star," etc. etc. but i doubt every man she dates will be old, or bald, or a movie star. on the other hand i'm pretty confident that most every man she dates will be rich.

if of all the eligible men who come into contact with burke generally need to be rich to have a realistic shot with her, and this is one of the most salient differences between men she dates and men she doesn't, then it's damn relevant to mention that bruce willis is [censored] rich.

rich men don't need hair to get with hot women, that's my point.

k im done.
Old 04-28-2005, 12:34 AM

So, fluxrad, if my mother's father has a full head of hair, and my mother's maternal grandfather had a full head of hair, then what is the chance that I will be afflicted by male pattern baldness?
Old 04-28-2005, 01:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
So, fluxrad, if my mother's father has a full head of hair, and my mother's maternal grandfather had a full head of hair, then what is the chance that I will be afflicted by male pattern baldness?

[/ QUOTE ]

If your father has the gene, then I'm guessing it's like 1/4. You'd have to read up on gene expression though, since I read something about it having an effect on baldness passed down by the father.
Old 04-28-2005, 02:07 AM

I don't care about the gene-stuff...nor do I care whether Bruce Willis is more attractive because he has money.

All i know is that I miss my hair.
Sigh.

I more than make up for it on my chest, arms, legs and even my back.
SEXY!!!
Old 04-28-2005, 10:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
How someone accept the concept that male pattern baldness is passed on from your mothers side of the family, and then start trying to draw conclusions from your mothers father is pure lunacy

[/ QUOTE ]

This is wrong.

Male pattern baldness is a recessive gene passed along on the X chromosome. It is, however, activated by the Y chromosome. The reason you look to your mother's father to find out is because your mother has two X chromosomes, one from your grandfather and one from your grandmother. This, of course, means that when you get an X chromosome from your mother and a Y chromosome from your father, you've got a 50/50 chance of inhereting the baldness gene from your mom (i.e. the gene from your grandfather's X chromosome). If your mother's grandfather on her mother's side was also bald...you will almost certainly be bald.

/fluxrad pours out a 40oz.

That's one for me. And one for my homie Gregor Mendel.

[/ QUOTE ]

So your saying that the statement "The gene for male pattern baldness can only be passed on from your mother" only holds true for men, not women. ok, I'm feeling that 40oz now.