Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-25-2005, 04:31 PM

Default Re: AQ early facing re-raise

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
If not, then I do think that pushing pre-flop is correct.

[/ QUOTE ]

See, I just don't agree in the slightest. Your hand is good enough that a push back could still mean hands that you've got dominated (A9s, AT, AJ, KQ). I think BB will push these often enough that I don't mind inducing a push. If someone has a pp, so be it, you're still getting the odds to call.

[/ QUOTE ]

Heh, this thread is the counterpoint to my snowman thread, where I'm in the villain's seat. I think you're getting at the same thing that curtains was trying to tell me: it's actually ok to raise, get re-raised all-in, and call. I tend to be afraid of that situation and push instead.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't get me wrong. I don't think pushing all-in with AQ here is bad. It's not bad at all. I just think it's slightly less optimal than a 3BB raise. But I would probably push the whole thing if I had 11BB, maybe even 12, if they were getting jacked up in very soon.
Old 04-25-2005, 04:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

that's bad too...U might be on a weak streak. Ive been there often after suffering many bad beats etc...im afraid to be agressive with good holdings...

[/ QUOTE ]

Can't be the case here. I sat (unintentially) to his left at a table the other day and it SUCKED. Evey time I thought I might get a steal in, he pushed right before me. I couldn't believe he didn't get called down.

[/ QUOTE ]

Heh -- sorry about that -- I had no idea.

However, he's actually correct. I've been amassing big stacks lately on the bubble, just to bust out before ITM. As a result, I've gotten a little tentative in certain situations.

Must've just been having a good run at your table...
Old 04-25-2005, 04:40 PM

so scott, what do you do here now, if you had to make this play again?
Old 04-25-2005, 04:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Honestly? I think I play it the same. I don't really want to risk my entire stack for 75 chips, and I think pushing does that. If I had 100 less chips, I probably would push.

I'm still not sure if I'm folding to an all-in from the BB. My thought when I played it was "fold," but now I think he might put me on a weaker hand and it might be worth calling, but I'm still really not sure (which might be another reason to push).
Old 04-25-2005, 04:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Honestly? I think I play it the same. I don't really want to risk my entire stack for 75 chips, and I think pushing does that. If I had 100 less chips, I probably would push.

I'm still not sure if I'm folding to an all-in from the BB. My thought when I played it was "fold," but now I think he might put me on a weaker hand and it might be worth calling, but I'm still really not sure (which might be another reason to push).

[/ QUOTE ]

Raising to 150 in a 4 handed game with AQo and then folding for your last 500 is terrible IMO.
Old 04-25-2005, 04:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Raising to 150 in a 4 handed game with AQo and then folding for your last 500 is terrible IMO.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ugh -- put that way, I see what you mean. So, now I play it like the other side of the 88 hand in the other thread.

I guess now I see why you say I shouldn't have been surprised to see ATs.
Old 04-25-2005, 04:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
This raise with AQ after it is folded to you is good. I wouldn't raise if there are limpers, but otherwise it is good. Obviously you're calling the all in.

[/ QUOTE ]

If there are limpers, raising with AQ here should be automatic.

[/ QUOTE ]

Could you expand on this?
Old 04-25-2005, 04:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
This raise with AQ after it is folded to you is good. I wouldn't raise if there are limpers, but otherwise it is good. Obviously you're calling the all in.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah... I should have read the stacks. If there are limpers I'm pushing.
Old 04-25-2005, 04:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Could you expand on this?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, your hand is very strong, the money in the pot will mean a lot to you if there are limpers, most of the time you will have stronger hands than the limpers, and sometimes they will fold hands that beat you like 22-77, thus you should raise.
Old 04-25-2005, 05:02 PM

I think it's pretty easy to play on a short stack, but how do you play it when you have 1200ish and other people have more and pushing is not really an option? That was the scenario I was thinking of when I said raise 3bb or limp behind limpers.