Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-18-2005, 10:41 PM

Default Re: Start with this question

thanks Soss...I have already begun to aply some of these things you, MLG, and others are talking about. Now it hasnt gotten me there yet, but it felt better. And I did build a little too. Not much really just 2.5 times original stack. Took one HUGE beat on one event to get knocked out and a not really a bad beat when I put the chips in on the other. I think you guys are leading me in the right direction. I must admit to weak-tight disease in tournaments. I'll do my damndest to do better in 5 minutes when my 7th? event of the day begins....God damn them all to hell I'm gonna get there. Sooner or later.
Old 03-18-2005, 10:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
BigFish-
I have to be honest with you. When I saw the title of the post, I didn't even have to read it to know exactly what it contained based on your previous posts in MTT. Please don't take this the wrong way, but your advice is very prototypical of a player who has 'too much knowledge for their own good'. It's very common for successful ring game players to be afflicted with this problem of being weak-tight in tournaments and not being able to open up the game to accumulate a stack. In a ring game, there is no rush to get the bad players' chips. Not so in a tourney. If you don't get them, someone else will.

MLG is completely on target here (big surprise). You should read eMarkm's fantastic post about opening up in the middle rounds of online tournaments.
Also, there is a big difference between typical daily live tourneys and online MTTs vs. WSOP ME. The deepness of the stacks and the length of the rounds favors more careful, tight play in the early rounds (and even nearly all of day )
This simply isn't so in shallower stacked, shorter round MTTs where a premium is placed on stack building in even the first few rounds. This is especially true when there are terrible players at your table who are literally giving their stacks away. You simply must get in there and gamble.

There are a myriad of posts about the specifics on how to do that, but suffice it to say, it is not limited to calling raises and reraising with hands that you would muck in a ring game. There are 'riskier' ways to play hands that might be more positively EV in order to stack build. Checking behind when you make a small flush on the turn. Check calling flop and turn bets when heads up vs. an aggressive player w/ TPTK (even on draw-ish) boards...etc...

Hope this helps.

SossMan

[/ QUOTE ]

pretty much spot on, but think about it this way. There is a LOT of luck in the online and rapid B&M structures. You need chips so losing a coinflip does not kill you. It's more or less that simple, if you can lose an allin or two at your table and still be average...you have the power. You can steal at will, and the masses will fall by the wayside.

One thing though...don't bluff the unbluffable. Obvious advice...but in the middle of a tourney, it always seems like a great idea [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 03-18-2005, 10:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
thanks Soss...I have already begun to aply some of these things you, MLG, and others are talking about. Now it hasnt gotten me there yet, but it felt better. And I did build a little too. Not much really just 2.5 times original stack. Took one HUGE beat on one event to get knocked out and a not really a bad beat when I put the chips in on the other. I think you guys are leading me in the right direction. I must admit to weak-tight disease in tournaments. I'll do my damndest to do better in 5 minutes when my 7th? event of the day begins....God damn them all to hell I'm gonna get there. Sooner or later.

[/ QUOTE ]

You may want to play the stars rebuy tourneys too, they offer a nice amount of play for the amount of $ invested.
Old 03-18-2005, 10:57 PM

well crap....2000 players and I am out 19xx. Q10 BB 6 players, SB amde it 65 to go I call. Flop is QJ9, he fires 150, I make it 390, he shoves I call...his AQ is good my 11 outs dont get there...I get change 200.....Button, AJo, 7 limpers I shove....2 callers are Q9 and A7....flop 109869...gone. I hate tournaments
Old 03-18-2005, 11:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Q10 BB 6 players, SB amde it 65 to go I call.

[/ QUOTE ]

When people say to be loose early they generally mean 76s, not QTo.
Old 03-18-2005, 11:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Q10 BB 6 players, SB amde it 65 to go I call.

[/ QUOTE ]

When people say to be loose early they generally mean 76s, not QTo.

[/ QUOTE ]

well shlt...be more specific! [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img] 3 hrs ago I muck that hand in the BB. Astually I dont think it was all that bad. As long as it isnt getting repopped behind. And tho we were only 3 hands into the event it appeared loose passive table. Which of course means huge implied odds...this time huge negative implied odds!! [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

I'm trying to keep a sense of humor about this.

I actually dont think either of those two plays were really all that bad. I had the best of it on the AJ and had lots of outs on the Q10. So I think MLG would say I played them correctly....lets see what he says.
Old 03-18-2005, 11:27 PM

Diablo is right
and not bad at poems too
fishhead is too tight
Old 03-18-2005, 11:31 PM

I personally don't like the preflop call there, although its certainly not awful. If call preflop then you have to play the flop that way. Flop A+, preflop, either way.
Old 03-19-2005, 12:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I personally don't like the preflop call there, although its certainly not awful. If call preflop then you have to play the flop that way. Flop A+, preflop, either way.

[/ QUOTE ]

interesting....so the flop call in first round is kinda bad. post flop good....I would have actually thought that because of the stacks vs blinds and raise being only to 65..(I had 1200 in chips from having won previous hand) that the call was in the realm of what your talking about. ....Is it not because it is in the "zone" of playing hands and bad position coupled with what SHOULD be a very strong hand raiseing from the BB? This is an easy adjustment if thats what you mean.
Old 03-19-2005, 12:14 AM

Its a marginal hand out of position in a large multi-way pot. Focus on opening up in position, it makes post flop play much easier.