Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-13-2005, 01:00 AM

Default Re: Disprove the Bible

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Once again, PROVE IT. I maintain God left it there to test us.

[/ QUOTE ]

You bring up a great point. When someone is mentally incapable of understanding the proofs in question, there is no point in trying to present them.

I can't believe that you are now saying that Egypt didn't exist when it did. I've heard the dinosaur argument before, but this is a new one. I salute you.

~D

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm just playing devil's advocate. I'm a 100% atheist. I was trying to get some of the agnostic/atheist crowd to come up with some intelligent arguments but apparently I've failed miserably. Or you have. Take your pick.

[/ QUOTE ]

Usually when I see a capitalized "PROVE IT" it indicates that any actual proof method will be denied.

Sorry for implying that you were what you were acting as, but you can imagine the headaches brought on by people denying that a system can't even be consistent within its own bounds because there's a god, or whatever.

It's very easy to disbelieve the age of the universe anyhow if you don't believe in things like causality, or gravitation, or carbon dating (for the Egypt and dinosaur thing). The people I usually hear saying "PROVE IT" don't believe these things, so there is no way to prove it.

It's impossible to prove that the universe is more than 1 second old, too, since it all (including memories and everything) could just be "put there" to test us.

The point is that if one denies a sufficient amount of information, math, and science you cannot prove anything at all.

~D
Old 03-13-2005, 01:00 AM

And to think that I didn't respond to that because I didn't want to go deeper into a huge battle of uber-religious vs. others. You tricky devil. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 03-13-2005, 01:05 AM

Yeah sorry guys, I kind of feel like an [censored]. Thought it would stir up some good discussion but I know that everyone's tired of arguing with the super religious.

This is the one thing that has always made me think though. Occam's razor is really all you have. But then you're deciding which is more likely, that all these crazy creature have been around and died and the Earth has been around for 6 billion years and the amazing things that we call humans came from a pool of chemicals? Or someone in the sky put us here.

I dunno. I'd still like to hear some good arguments against the "God is testing us" argument because that's one I've always been stuck on.
Old 03-13-2005, 01:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
that all these crazy creature have been around and died and the Earth has been around for 6 billion years and the amazing things that we call humans came from a pool of chemicals?

[/ QUOTE ]

This seems much simpler than trying to imagine how complex god would be if he existed
Old 03-13-2005, 01:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
has anyone seen a dinosaur? all we have are fossils, and those are part of "heaven and earth"

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, I didn't know Carl Everett posted here.
Old 03-13-2005, 01:20 AM

You of all people should be aware of the presence of dinosaurs a few years ago in Kualoa ranch. Still waiting for those poor stranded plane crash survivors to run into the T-Rex.
Old 03-13-2005, 01:23 AM

Ok possibly so, but what if scientists did find life somewhere other than our planet (since the bible only pertains to and mentions about Earth). Would this stir up any emotions in religious followers (kind of like in the movie contact)? If so, what for?
The presence of life on another planet would be a monunmental discovery in mankind, since it would bring up so many questions now to be answered (where did that form of life come from? Was it from the same bacteria/organsism that put life on earth? Do they have their own God)?
And better yet, let's say they did have their own seperate God. Would this prove that our "God" is in fact the civilzations longest lived myth?
Old 03-13-2005, 01:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Would this stir up any emotions in religious followers (kind of like in the movie contact)? If so, what for?

[/ QUOTE ]

Religious followers are a fiarly diverse froup of people, and I'm sure the discovery of extra-terestial life would stir up emotions in some, but I don't think that matters. People get emotional over all kinds of things.

[ QUOTE ]
Was it from the same bacteria/organsism that put life on earth?

[/ QUOTE ]

Either way says nothing about the validity of the Bible. The Bible never says that God didn't put life on other planets, or that the life He put on earth would never live earth, or that God didn't take life from another planet and put it here.

[ QUOTE ]
Do they have their own God)?

[/ QUOTE ]

I wouldn't be suprised if they do. It is likely, however that they would have the same God as us. Of course they would see God from a different prespective than we do, so it might take a while that we are actually talking about the same God.

[ QUOTE ]
And better yet, let's say they did have their own seperate God. Would this prove that our "God" is in fact the civilzations longest lived myth?

[/ QUOTE ]

not any more than the fact that the Hindus have many gods that are not God proves that God is a myth.
Old 03-13-2005, 01:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I dunno. I'd still like to hear some good arguments against the "God is testing us" argument because that's one I've always been stuck on.

[/ QUOTE ]

There is none, because the argument is always provided in such a way that it is unfalsifiable.

I can assert that the Tooth Fairy exists, and do so in such a way that it can never be disproven. You have no argument against that either, but why should you need one?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Falsifiability
Old 03-13-2005, 01:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
not any more than the fact that the Hindus have many gods that are not God proves that God is a myth.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've always wondered about this. What makes you so sure you have the "correct" God?

Obviously the correct Christian answer is faith, as that is what religion is based on. Most people believe in the religion they were raised, so do you think you were just luck to be born to parents that believe in the correct God and those poor Hindus are unlucky?

I would be interested in a well thought out, well reasoned answer.