Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-17-2005, 12:52 PM

Default Re: The fair price of gas

I imagine, Il Mostro, that you have probably heard of the website lifeaftertheoilcrash.
For those who haven't it is also very educational. The breaking news is also a nice feature. I visit here on a regular basis to see what is developing as far as energy is concerned.

By the way, I'm pretty sure we're all screwed.
Old 02-17-2005, 01:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I imagine, Il Mostro, that you have probably heard of the website lifeaftertheoilcrash.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes, I do. It was my inroducion to all this. I am a bit hesitant in recomending that site, Savinar is sometimes a bit to much. But it is a good site, nontheless
Old 02-17-2005, 01:29 PM

Default Re: oooo!

[ QUOTE ]
yes, hybrids, electric, continuing cold fusion research, fuel cells, nat gas, etc. etc. etc.... no alternatives indeed.

[/ QUOTE ]
You show an almost complete lack of understanding of energy and alternative energy.

If you are interested in a serious debate, read up on it, start here:
Youngquist
Old 02-17-2005, 01:36 PM

wow, just wow. i give examples of alternative energy, and you just ignore them. you are not worth my time. you are too far gone. good luck in life.
Old 02-17-2005, 02:07 PM

If I called Savinar an alarmist it would be an understatement. I believe, and certainly hope, that he is incorrect as far as his peak date is concerned. However, considering how serious the issue is and how little time the world has left to change, I want as many people ringing as many bells as loud as possible. On that note, thanks for bringing up the issue.

"My father rode a camel. I drive a car. My son flies in a jet plane. His son will ride a camel." -- Arab proverb.
Old 02-17-2005, 03:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
wow, just wow. i give examples of alternative energy, and you just ignore them. you are not worth my time. you are too far gone. good luck in life.

[/ QUOTE ]
Every single one of your "examples" are refuted in the link I gave you, none of them will do any real difference compared to oil. If you knew anything about alternative energy you would know this.

But for the benefit of other readers, here go.
[ QUOTE ]

yes, hybrids, electric, continuing cold fusion research, fuel cells, nat gas, etc. etc. etc.... no alternatives indeed.

[/ QUOTE ]
Electric, not an energy source, how are you going to generate it? Hint, you won't.
fuel cells, not an energy source, how are you going to generate the hydrogen needed? Hint, you won't.
nat.gas. will peak about 2-3 decades after oil, at current use.

And cold fusion? Come on, man, that is not even theoretically possible today. Meaning that with our current knowledge of physics, cold fusion cannot happen.

So, none of your proposals are even remotely viable.
Now, either read up on the subject, or stay out of the debate!
Old 02-17-2005, 04:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Electric, not an energy source, how are you going to generate it? Hint, you won't.

[/ QUOTE ]

Electricity not an energy source? What is it then? Is it produced from other sources of energy? Yep but it still is a source of energy.
Old 02-17-2005, 04:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Electricity not an energy source? What is it then? Is it produced from other sources of energy? Yep but it still is a source of energy.

[/ QUOTE ]
I guess this comes down to semantics. But to me (and to everyone I have read papers by) an energy source is something that generates energy. Oil and gas are source to us, even though in some meaning they are not, since they was made and really just consist of old biomass. Wind is an energy source, as is sunshine.

But electricity is an energy carrier, not a source. We cannot mine electricity, it has to be generated. And when we generate it we lose energy in the conversion.
Old 02-17-2005, 04:20 PM

sorry for not clarifying, i was refering to electric cars.
Old 02-17-2005, 04:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Every single one of your "examples" are refuted in the link I gave you, none of them will do any real difference compared to oil. If you knew anything about alternative energy you would know this.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's not entirely true. The article fairly poorly addresses all the relevant information in my opinion. Here is what it comes down to. Oil will eventually run out, so we have to find another source of fuel. We are working on it. Great. Electric cars, hybrid cars, fuel celled cars, etc.

[ QUOTE ]

fuel cells, not an energy source, how are you going to generate the hydrogen needed? Hint, you won't.
nat.gas. will peak about 2-3 decades after oil, at current use.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hint, you make no sense here.

1.) Electricity can be generated in numerous ways, hydro, solar, wind, NUCLEAR, among others.
2.)I think a kid with a chemistry set can figure it out.
3.) I haven't heard that number, but you probably haven't heard that recently there have been some pretty impressive natural gas deposits discovered.

[ QUOTE ]

And cold fusion? Come on, man, that is not even theoretically possible today. Meaning that with our current knowledge of physics, cold fusion cannot happen.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is the best part. First, cold fusion is theoretically possible, you are totally wrong on that part. Second, with our knowledge of physics we are working on cold fusion, do you know what that is? How is this, we can already do fusion and create energy during the process.

[ QUOTE ]

So, none of your proposals are even remotely viable.
Now, either read up on the subject, or stay out of the debate!

[/ QUOTE ]

I suggest that you read up on the subject, but maybe some more accurate material this time.