Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Which would you choose, vertical (up and down) or horizontal (sideways)?
Vertical (up and down) 27 36.99%
Horizontal (sideways) 46 63.01%
Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-31-2005, 11:38 PM

Default Re: How Much Would You Pay for Dinner?

The best meals I have had were on a cruise ship, but they were included in the price. But I don't go to many expensive places, probably the next best was at Ruth's Chris Steakhouse, and that was only about $60 per person.
Old 01-31-2005, 11:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i've never eaten a meal at a restaurant thats been better than what I or my dad can cook.

[/ QUOTE ]

It wouldn't surprise me if you were able to cook better meals than the vast majority of restaurants out there. However, it would surprise me if you were able to cook meals that compared to those cooked by people recognized as the greatest chefs in the world who have been working full-time at perfecting their craft for years. In addition to their talent and experience, these guys use the best possible ingredients (which you may not even have access to), have staffs of people to help prepare the food, and have equipment and surroundings optimized for their work. Given those points, your comment that it was sad if someone's best meal ever was in a restaurant seemed very strange. If someone has the means to spend a large amount of money on a single meal, I'd definitely expect their best meal ever to be at a restaurant.
Old 02-01-2005, 12:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
It wouldn't surprise me if you were able to cook better meals than the vast majority of restaurants out there. However, it would surprise me if you were able to cook meals that compared to those cooked by people recognized as the greatest chefs in the world who have been working full-time at perfecting their craft for years. In addition to their talent and experience, these guys use the best possible ingredients (which you may not even have access to), have staffs of people to help prepare the food, and have equipment and surroundings optimized for their work. Given those points, your comment that it was sad if someone's best meal ever was in a restaurant seemed very strange. If someone has the means to spend a large amount of money on a single meal, I'd definitely expect their best meal ever to be at a restaurant.

[/ QUOTE ]

¡Olé!

Though I haven't been to world-renowned restaurants, I've been to a few very good ones and the meals were exceptional. The most elegant dinner I've had was at a restaurant. The best meal I've ever had was at home, but that was something special (I even made of post about it in the OT forum a long time ago, the main course was cutthroat trout).

What makes a dinner or restaurant meal a truly exceptional experience is not just the food. It is having an excellent dinner with friends and companions that mean a lot to you and are enjoyable to be with, couple this with stimulating conversion and a pleasant ease to the meal and it makes for a delightful evening.

Years ago, I had a great meal in San Antonio, Texas. The main ingredient was pleasant friends and working companions. The food was ‘southwestern style’ and very good, but the beer was exceptional, brewed by some local monks. That was a memorial dinner that I will always remember.

-Zeno
Old 02-01-2005, 12:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If you like quality value sushi, go to Sushi Gen in J-Town in downtown LA. Great sashimi and you can eat for two under $80, with drinks.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll second that. Sushi-Gen is great. I tend to get out of there for closer to $80 for myself, but I eat a lot.
Old 02-01-2005, 12:44 AM

I've walked by Wolf's a couple of times. I'm actually not that big of a steak person myself, but I'll have to do the Pepsi challenge at some point.

I finally ate at Union Square Cafe recently, after living 8 blocks from it for like 2 years. And I ate with a friend at the bar, which is really how I prefer to eat at most restaurants. It was as good as everyone says. Gramercy is quite good as well.
Old 02-01-2005, 12:51 AM

Awesome. Gramercy is quite good too, yep.
Old 02-01-2005, 01:04 AM

This is maybe taking this off track a little, but in London they have a place (can't think of its name) where they have a price list for wine and you pay what you think the food is worth.

After one evening there with a group of friends we got chatting to the owner over a few drinks and he told us that most people (if i remember correctly,around 90%) pay way over the odds for the food.

I've later heard that a supermarket chain, said that when they ask the customers how much a item was if it hasn't gone through the scanner people offer to pay more than the item is worth.
Old 02-01-2005, 03:45 AM

The best meal ive ever had was 2.50 + tip

You've got me beat. The best meal I've ever had was at a roadside jerk chicken stand on West End Road in Negril, Jamaica. About $4.
Old 02-01-2005, 03:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
i think it'd be pretty sad if hte best meal you ever ate was from a restaurant.

[/ QUOTE ]

Huh?

[/ QUOTE ]

i've never eaten a meal at a restaurant thats been better than what I or my dad can cook. not meaning i can cook every kind of food better than a restaurant. obviously i go to a sushi place for sushi, but usually the food i enjoy most is food i cook.

i'm usually pretty dissapointed with any restaurant that costs more than about 15 bucks for a plate.

[/ QUOTE ]

your dad is a chef.
Old 02-01-2005, 04:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
i think it'd be pretty sad if hte best meal you ever ate was from a restaurant.

[/ QUOTE ]

Huh?

[/ QUOTE ]

i've never eaten a meal at a restaurant thats been better than what I or my dad can cook. not meaning i can cook every kind of food better than a restaurant. obviously i go to a sushi place for sushi, but usually the food i enjoy most is food i cook.

i'm usually pretty dissapointed with any restaurant that costs more than about 15 bucks for a plate.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree.... some of the best meals I have had in restaurants, have costed less than $15. I have also found that the more expensive places don't taste as good, but maybe I am just raising my expectations too high when I go to a place like that. Nothing compares to my family's home-made meals, those are by far the best meals I have had in my life. Grilling out with friends is a close 2nd.