Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-28-2005, 05:26 AM

Default Re: A question

because there are too many games and the floor people are too busy. tonight, they had about 8 40-80 games, and at one point I saw them start 2 within 15 minutes.

the 100-200 games are still must move.
Old 01-28-2005, 06:18 AM

Default Re: New No Tolerance Policy at Commerce

[ QUOTE ]
So I take all Commerce's "policies" with a grain (or three) of salt.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sad thing is, it's not that different anywhere else.

~ Rick
Old 01-28-2005, 06:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I know of a dealer who had cornea damage and partial loss of vision due to a card thrown at her eye.

[/ QUOTE ]

that never would have happened if my suggestion for dealer attire had been implemented.

[/ QUOTE ]

did you steal the idea from RT or did he steal the idea from you?

~ Rick
Old 01-28-2005, 06:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
About two weeks ago, at the Bike, there was a 400-800 game going, with faces in it that I recognized from Commerce. I imagine the big games will follow the donators, wherever they go.

The abuse at Commerce is indeed disgusting, much of it tinged with racism. But it's not that difficult to control. I can identify the top ten (or, I should say, bottom ten) culprits who play during the day and I'm sure they could find someone to identify the top ten who play at night. Kick them out permanently. Let everybody know they were banned. And then ban a few others, selectively, as incidents come up. All in all they'll lose about 30 players and the games will stay and be just as good.

[/ QUOTE ]

We agree so much on this it's scary. And it's not just a Commerce problem, it's an industry problem.

Regards,

Rick
Old 01-28-2005, 08:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
lol injury from a card?!?!? people who press lawsuits on "card damages" and "emotional stress" need to be shot

[/ QUOTE ]

I know of a dealer who had cornea damage and partial loss of vision due to a card thrown at her eye.

~ Rick

[/ QUOTE ]

Jesus Ferguson has practiced throwing cards in such a way that he can cut a banana in half with one at about 10 feet or so.

Or so one of those WPT intermissions claimed (he demonstrated too, but this was TV, so I don't know how realistic it was).

Still, I could see having the surface of the skin being cut by a card, and that is enough force to damage an eye.
Old 01-28-2005, 08:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
About two weeks ago, at the Bike, there was a 400-800 game going, with faces in it that I recognized from Commerce. I imagine the big games will follow the donators, wherever they go.

The abuse at Commerce is indeed disgusting, much of it tinged with racism. But it's not that difficult to control. I can identify the top ten (or, I should say, bottom ten) culprits who play during the day and I'm sure they could find someone to identify the top ten who play at night. Kick them out permanently. Let everybody know they were banned. And then ban a few others, selectively, as incidents come up. All in all they'll lose about 30 players and the games will stay and be just as good.

[/ QUOTE ]

We agree so much on this it's scary. And it's not just a Commerce problem, it's an industry problem.

Regards,

Rick

[/ QUOTE ]

Rick--

It's nowhere near as much of a problem up here in the Bay Area, in NJ or even at Foxwoods.

scrub
Old 01-28-2005, 10:14 AM

Yeah, but that's just 3 specific guys who start most of those. The Borg shoud thank them for their past business and send them back to the Taj.
Old 01-28-2005, 12:10 PM

Have you ever seen Ricky Jay's act? I think he wrote a book, Playing Cards as Weapons, or something like that. He can puncture the skin of a watermelon with a card.

Even if you don't care for the card throwing, if you ever get a chance to see him, take advantage of it. He's terrifically funny and a fantastic magician. You've seen him in a lot of David Mamet's movies.
Old 01-28-2005, 12:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Have you ever seen Ricky Jay's act? I think he wrote a book, Playing Cards as Weapons, or something like that. He can puncture the skin of a watermelon with a card.

Even if you don't care for the card throwing, if you ever get a chance to see him, take advantage of it. He's terrifically funny and a fantastic magician. You've seen him in a lot of David Mamet's movies.

[/ QUOTE ]

There was a fantastic profile of him in The New Yorker a few years ago. He's apparently the world's authority on rare books about magic and scams in addition to being one of the greatest close up magicians in the world.

scrub
Old 01-28-2005, 02:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Rick--

It's nowhere near as much of a problem up here in the Bay Area, in NJ or even at Foxwoods.

scrub

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't believe the customers are inherently worse behaved here in Los Angeles. All too many of them behave poorly because over time they learn that in most clubs to varying extents they can get away with it.

If LA card club management consistently thought more for the long term rather than the short term, they would be willing to risk losing abusive customers now for greater growth in the future. Good, well behaved people generally don't want to be around bad, poorly behaved people. And the reality is, if management clamped down, most of the abusive, poorly behaving customers would in fact behave better. People that abusive and nasty rarely have much else to do with their time anyway [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img].

~ Rick

PS I find the argument (often made by top pros and management) that the constantly abusive player is often the live one and that games would break if they are kicked out to be another example of short term thinking. IMO if the atmosphere was cleaned up you would have a lot more wealthy, very live, "good for the game" customers over time. But the big game might break that night.