Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-06-2005, 07:12 AM

Default Re: Alcohol, been sober for 10 monthes ok to drink in moderation?

[ QUOTE ]
I've treid the moderation after quitting in the past but slipped back into old habbits immediatly.

[/ QUOTE ]

that should tip you off that attempting to drink in moderation is just not worth the risk.
Old 01-06-2005, 03:13 PM

You, Sir, are a TFI !!!

Cool, thanks. Sure ive been called worse by better. Anyway i forgot to ask what is your favorite drink? Its almost the weekend and its cold in Jan a little tidy would be nice wouldnt it? BOTTOMS UP!!!

MRV
Old 01-06-2005, 05:21 PM

Default AA

[ QUOTE ]
I used to drink heavy, about 5-9 drinks almost every day for years. All I'd do is sit around, drink all day and play poker online, my health got bad. I'm 25 now and been 100% sober for 10 monthes now. I've read on the internet that alcohol is good for you in moderation, about 1-3 drinks per day. I'm thinking about trying that. Is this ok? Will it hurt my game? Will it F*ck up my life again?

[/ QUOTE ]

Please take the advice above and attend an AA meeting. Al Anon was the only thing that kept me from going insane when I lived with an alcoholic for ten years before going. They have a saying, "You back up to start up." You have not been drinking for ten months, but are not sober.

Best wishes, and good luck
Old 01-06-2005, 05:21 PM

antabuse pancakes should do the trick

Old 01-06-2005, 06:45 PM

You've basically answered the question yourself. You said you have tried to quit before, but you relapse. You said drinking too much made you depressed and you lost alot of things.

Why are you trying to justify drinking by drinking only 1-3 a day? You have to admit to yourself that you have an addiction, and by saying you will be fine with only a "few" drinks a day indirectly says this.

Im going to rehab and AA currently right now. I guess I am an alcoholic. I dont have to drink everyday, but I love binge drinking and getting drunk. I can also control how much I drink, well sometimes. I can have one beer, or if I want to be wasted I can drink a bottle.

Ive come to the realization I am addicted. Im not having physical withdraws, which is a serious alcoholic condition, but I have alcoholic/addiction tendecies.

You should go to a local AA in your area. It's only one hour a session. There are many different times you can go, so there's no excuse with the no time argument. You may not like AA at first, but hearing people talk about their alcohol problems may help.

The bottom line is this: You've done great for 10 months, but if you start drinking a "few" drinks here and there, is there a chance you will go back to your old ways and get drunk and mess up your life?
Old 01-06-2005, 08:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Go to some AA meetings then decide for yourself.

KC

[/ QUOTE ]

AA is one option, but should not be your only course.

If, as you said, you've been depressed and socially isolated, definitely consider counseling with a professional (and not someone who merely uses the AA model). You should get assessed by a competent professional (psychiatrist, psychologist, therapist) for both substance abuse AND mental health status - it's more common than not for a person to have co-occurring disorders, and, when one of these is underecognized or under-treadted, success with the other is compromised.

And, BTW, there is abundant evidence that TREATMENT WORKS!!! Do yourself a favor, and get the best....
Old 01-06-2005, 09:01 PM

Don't do it.

outs
Old 01-06-2005, 11:59 PM

What does a pair of AA have to do with drinking?

geez,

MRV
Old 01-07-2005, 12:33 AM

I think you will be fine. No more than 3 drinks per day though [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img].