Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-29-2004, 01:41 PM

Default Re: Would you work for free?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Then you need to realize subsidizing a necessary industry is different then subsidizing an individual failing business.

[/ QUOTE ]
If it's necessary why does it need subsidies?

[/ QUOTE ]

Because its regulated and is prohibited from working on a pure-market model.

[/ QUOTE ]
What industry are you talking about? You need to specify.
Old 12-29-2004, 01:43 PM

I think attorneys salary/bonus structure is different than most. Did you happen to read the recent article about the huge bonuses being given out this year for attorneys on the coasts? Incredible. I wish I was practicing --- on second thought, I like my job a lot.
Old 12-29-2004, 01:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I hate the airline industry. This request doesn't surprise me at all, nor will the next round of paycuts that airlines ask from their pilots in the coming years as they dish out $2 mil bonuses to all 55 of their executive officers. Maybe some time I'll work up the energy to write out exactly what I think, but I don't feel like it right now.

[/ QUOTE ]
As true as this is, ALL airline employees are ridiculously overpaid. C'mon pilots make big bucks. And the unions make sure everyone from stewardesses to baggage handlers make way more than they should, not to mention giving them job security so that they can be as rude and inefficient as they like.
Old 12-29-2004, 01:45 PM

Default National Law Journal Article on Attorney Bonuses

For you Oski:

The National Law Journal

It's bonus time, and East is trumping West

As managing partners across the country are in the process of tabulating bonuses for 2004, it appears that associates at East Coast firms may have the jolliest holidays of all.

Bonuses for new and senior associates this year at many East Coast firms are on the rise, while the year-end perks at some Midwest firms are meeting last year's numbers. And though one major firm with a large San Francisco office said it will hand out bonuses of up to $50,000, other indications suggest that West Coast firms are on a slower economic rebound than their East Coast counterparts.

Some East Coast firms are raising their associate bonuses to as much as $60,000, compared with most year-end rewards in 2003 that topped out at $30,000. On the other end of the map, Morrison & Foerster is paying its associates "up to $50,000," for 2004, said chairman Keith Wetmore.
....(more)
Old 12-29-2004, 01:47 PM

I hate flying, because it is the most incovenient pain in the ass thing ever. I hope the current airline industry we have goes under, and something far more effecient comes forward. Its a total joke that the goverment subsidizes these clowns. It gives them zero incentive to change anything because they know good ole big bro will come and waste our tax money on them.
Old 12-29-2004, 01:48 PM

Default Re: An Odd Similar Example

You're pay was every 15th and 30th. In late February they said, "On March 30th, there will be no paychecks, contact us if March 15th would be easier for you.

It didn't make a difference in this case, but your pay was staggered...so if you started working there on the first of the month, you didn't get a check until the 30th for that work.
Old 12-29-2004, 01:59 PM

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In risposta di:</font><hr />
Agreed. Best part is the owner was sort of a prick (sometimes brilliant and cool) but he could have sold the Company for 60 Million at the height, and he didn't.... I won't say anything else, they actively scan the internet for libel suits.

[/ QUOTE ]

i'll say it.. THAT GUY WAS A PRICK!
Old 12-29-2004, 02:04 PM

Yeah, but he also did weird good things like pay me for 3 weeks to look for a job on company time. He took no salary at all for that year too.

But yeah....prick.
Old 12-29-2004, 02:09 PM

Default Re: Screw the Airlines and the Unions!

If US Air can't turn a profit, I say let it die. Maybe it will serve as a wake up call to rest of the Unions in America the next time they think about pulling a stunt like the one that was done over the weekend.

Bubbagump

Bubbagump
Old 12-29-2004, 02:17 PM

</font><blockquote><font class="small">En réponse à:</font><hr />
As true as this is, ALL airline employees are ridiculously overpaid. C'mon pilots make big bucks. And the unions make sure everyone from stewardesses to baggage handlers make way more than they should, not to mention giving them job security so that they can be as rude and inefficient as they like.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, the exact opposite is true. Stewardesses, baggage handlers and the like hate the pilots, and the pilots' union because they ONLY stick up for the pilots. In the latest round of budget cuts at Delta, the pilots would not agree to a paycut until everyone else from check-in to maintenance to stewardesses took a pay cut as well. Needless to say, management's pay was not affected.

How much do you feel a pilot should be paid?