Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-07-2004, 08:07 PM

Default Re: How fast did you move up to 10/20 or 15/30?

I didnt stay at $2/$4 very long because it was similar to 50c/$1. I also had a killer run so I had the roll for $3/$6 after 2k hands lol.

I couldnt give you a winrate over a decent amount of hands I only just started at $10/$20.

I have played very few hands total most people wouldnt think that I am even a proven winning player at 50c/$1.

I'll get laughed at for this but I have only played 28k hands over all those limits for a winrate of 5.4bb/100(pp 50c/$1 +).

I dont expect to have this high a winrate for $10/$20 but I'd be happy with 3bb/100 (yeah I always aim high).

I play 1-2 tables BTW.
Old 12-07-2004, 08:20 PM

How'd you do at 5/10 6 max?
Old 12-07-2004, 08:25 PM

4.4bb/100 over 10K(most hands I've played at a limit).

Sample size is too small but I felt I was better than most of the players and I dont need 50k hands to prove it.

$10/$20 is tough though lots of funky moves.
Old 12-07-2004, 09:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm disgustingly risk averse

[/ QUOTE ]

aren't you a futures trader?
Old 12-07-2004, 09:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This board is amazing. We start out with a guy who simply wants some information about how quickly people have moved up in limits and we end up getting grammar lessons from every holier-than-thou shmuck and their brother.

[/ QUOTE ]

No offense, but your summary of this thread sucks. Here's how it should have gone:

1. A guy simply wants some information about how quickly people have moved up in limits.

2. A dubious boast is thinly disguised as a response to the question.

3. A critique of the boast is subtly disguised as a persnickity grammar put-down.

4. A handful of thoughtful, articulate responses to the original question are contributed.

5. The boaster admits to being of foreign persuasion and proceeds to engage the persnickitor in a low-temperature firefight. The first faint hint of a logical paradox of the recursive type can be heard amidst the feints and fists.

6. Sports humor.

7. Our ESL friend begins to really flail, windmilling in a truly quixotic fashion. Others have joined the baiting. A prowess at non-existent games is suggested. An actual game of inventing fictional games is proposed, engaged, and ends in a draw.

8. The paradox theme begins to tease itself out of the general weave.

9. An earnest young man with the inclination, if not the aptitude, for policework shakes his head at what appears to be a raucous display of public foolishness - the decadent, dissonant strains of a once great culture in decline.

10. A failed painter tugs at the sleeve of the tut-tutting young man with a palsied (drunken?) hand. He gestures to the fracas which has spilled out onto the sidewalk. He's trying to say something, point out the hidden pattern in the tumbling chaos, something about the difference between information and noise, life and death, 1/2 and 10/20, libraries and taverns, horrible failures and beautiful mistakes. But something must be wrong with his voice because what comes out is unintelligible, indecipherable, gibberish.

11. This is English.

/mc
Old 12-08-2004, 12:02 AM

fantastico Monty Cantsin.

(I think that's Spanglish)
Old 12-08-2004, 12:30 AM

When I first started playing poker, there were no limits lower than 5/10 here at the B&M's, so that's where I started. I did well in the B&M's and one day a friend of mine told me about a new pokersite called paradisepoker. I was really skeptical of online poker at that time but he assured me that he got paid and have been playing for a while.

So I did try it and deposited $150 with my credit card to try it out. If I lost that $150, it would be the last time I ever played online poker.

So guess what I did? I took that 150 and started playing 5/10. Probably the dumbest thing I ever did. i had no desire to play the lower limits at the time. But anyways, through some miracle I kept winning and managed to build that bankroll up to 3000+. I couldn't believe it. I felt like I was on top of the world. Then one day I hit rock bottom.

I had my first losing session after about 15-20 winning ones. I lost about 600+ I think, anyways I got so angry with myself I took all the chips I had and sat down at the 20/40. I went on a massive tilt and got totally schooled. My bankroll went down to $0. I remember the players laughing at me and telling me what a fish I was.
I couldn't sleep that night, I felt sick to my stomache that I have lost over $3000 in just one night. This is the most I have ever lost at the time.

But one thing I got from that experience was that paradisepoker was totally legit. At any time I could've cashed out my winnings but I didn't. In my mind it was still just $150.

Anyways even though I said 150 would be it for me, this was not the case. I continued to rebuy and played. I promised myself that I wouldn't get pushed around like I did and that I will one day go back to the high limit tables and that I'd be the one pushing people around.

So I kept playing and nothing spectacular happened. I played 5/10 and built my bankroll slowly. I was still pretty bad back then. Then one day I struck gold. I played a multitable $30 buy in tourny and came in first place. It paid me about 2K. Pretty sweet.

Now at this time I was more serious into poker and started reading more.
I lurked the RPG forums quite frequently and people were always saying how easy the games were on party and how hard it was at paradise. I was thinking how hard at paradise could it be if I was constantly winning? I had no desire to leave paradise and was happy but then one day discovered Empire. They were giving away vip points. That was enough to make me switch. I was playing at paradise for a while and they hardly had any reloads or promotions. I would play at empire and collect points. I wanted to be rewarded for all the hours I put in. The rest is history.

The players at party and paradise were night and day. I built up a nice bankroll at 5/10 at Empire quickly. I then jumped into the 15/30 and never looked back.
Old 12-08-2004, 02:22 AM

"They were giving away vip points. That was enough to make me switch"

Do you ever get enough to buy anything big? It seems like you need to play for years to be eligible for anything big. I could be wrong though, I just started playing there recently.
Old 12-08-2004, 04:07 AM

20k hands at .5/1.

60k hands at Party NL 25.

20k hands across Party NL 25 6-max / full ring and NL 50 - 200 across other sites.

When I started I didn't have very much money so I was really careful with it, depositing $500 at Party and immedimately taking out $300 back in August. I told myself that if I busted out that'd be it, but a good friend referred me to 2+2 and the rest of history.

Since poker is my sole source of income at the moment I have no incentive to move up the limits quickly. The sad thing is looking back at how little I made at my old part-time job.
Old 12-08-2004, 09:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
"They were giving away vip points. That was enough to make me switch"

Do you ever get enough to buy anything big? It seems like you need to play for years to be eligible for anything big. I could be wrong though, I just started playing there recently.

[/ QUOTE ]

To be honest, I haven't even done anything with the points I've accumulated and I'm almost a royal flush memeber, The only thing that is useful so far is to enter the porsche tournament for 2000 points (have been lowered from 8000) other than that it's pretty much useless. If you accumulate 15000, you become a royal flush member and they send you stuff, you also get a 10% bonus reload deposit on your first deposit of every month.

Not great but this is still a lot better than what paradise was offering, which was nothing. I see the pokersites getting more and more competitive in the future regarding bonuses and incentives as competition heats up.