Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-22-2004, 06:03 AM

Default Re: unbeatable game?

You can play a few more hands than this.

If by "a few" you mean "a ton". [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

GoT
Old 11-22-2004, 08:50 AM

Excuse my double post.

I want to talk more about the play money factor and how it actualy relates to a straight up get your head cracked LAG game.

I find invaluable myself.

Hell , I dont even play Poker online cause im afraid to play w\ CASH cause I get paranoid and think maybe the table I sit down at 1 of them is using 4 acct's and all the lack of actualy being able to look at the essance of a opponent.

All in all ,its great imo for pushing your selective control and unyeilding patience enevelope.

I actualy wish all games where LAG sometimes. Ive had no problem Bankrolling 16m in my "fake" money Bankroll. It helps for those lower limit tables . Dont mind agressive but the LAP's can sometimes make things so wack that you do feel you lose that 3rd eye.

I'll STFU now..kkthnx
Old 11-22-2004, 09:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
It becomes like playing a game of "War," where the highest cards dealt out win. It's like everyone gets their cards, takes them to the showdown, and you flip a ten-sided coin to see who wins.

[/ QUOTE ]

The obvious (and very important) difference is that, unlike the others, you don't play your hand to showdown if you don't have a good reason to do so.

And that's how you win your money.

© D.H.
Old 11-22-2004, 11:42 AM

I have been playing in a similar game for years. I believe most replies to this post are correct. The volatility is much higher for the simple reason that you are often up against many opponents. I think Sklansky calls it "the horse race theory" Head to head, your 2 pair might be 60 percent favorite against your typical drawing hand, but against 3 or 4 people with similar drawing hands, your odds decrease exponentially. The bottom line is that you often will find yourself with at maybe 20% chance to win the large pots. The basic rules for loose games still apply. Bluff a lot less, if at all. Hardly even semi-bluff. Play more drawing hands. Don't overbet or raise small advantages in the early stages of the hand. You have to remember that one of the main reasons for raising, thinning the field, does not apply, so better to wait till the later rounds. Early raises can often have the opposite effect in a game like this as it can tie more chasers to the pot and invariably, one of them will suck out on you.
Old 11-22-2004, 12:25 PM

Of course it is very profitable in the long run. But with wild swings.

A more interesting scenario is a table like that where people percieve you as a non-gambler and are more reluctant to give you action when you raise, because of your tightness. How much would the tight image hurt you, and could it hurt you so much that it becomes unprofitable.
Old 11-22-2004, 12:37 PM

There's a guy losing 2500-5000 per night. Consistently. Where's that money going if this game is unbeatable? And how can you possibly say the game is unbeatable and say the players are so bad? If they, as a whole, are unbeatable, doesn't that imply their strategy is better than yours?

Clearly their strategy is very bad. So obviously it's very beatable. But not by pretending it's a different type of game and using the wrong strategy.
Old 11-22-2004, 12:43 PM

Just my 2 cents, at the risk of rehashing the obvious:

This game IS beatable with patience, time, and bankroll. This is not the game to sit down and kill an hour with your last few bucks before you head home. If you have 100 BB (or more) in your pocket and all day to play, and you can mentally handle the swings, THEN you can sit down.

Play it straight up. Don't bluff. Don't get cute with anything. Play strong starting hands and GOOD draws, but if the flop misses you get the hell out. Be mentally prepared for the guy who calls three bets cold pre-flop with Jh-5h and cracks your set of aces when he hits his flush on the river. It's GOING to happen. Guaranteed.

But it won't happen every time. You just need to be able to wait for it...patience, time, bankroll.
Old 11-22-2004, 01:19 PM

I find it very funny, that someone could even 'think' that this game is unbeatable. Take a step back and think about it. Somewhere in this post, someone questioned whether you could beat 7 random hands????? I think people are confusing frustrating and unprofitable games. Sure it is easier on your soul to play in a 10/20 where all of the players can play poker, just not nearly as well as you. But, I am willing to bet that I could give someone a 3 hour poker lesson and they could beat that game. Not every time, the fluctuations are huge, but in the long run.

Here is what I tell them.
-Here is you list of starting hands (looser than usual, esp for SC, and Axs, Kxs.
-teach them the basics of pot odds, and counting their outs.
-Give them a cheat sheet for when to fold / stay in.

If someone can give me any reason why a new player armed with this knowledge cant get his/her fair share share of the free money at this game, I will be happy to listen.

Good players avoid these games, b/c they dont like the swings, especially when the competition is inferior. So, they may be unapealling games in terms of EV/SD, but not -EV.
Old 11-22-2004, 01:54 PM

A lot of people in this thread have been saying the game is only beatable if you have a large bankroll.

The size of a player's bankroll has absolutely nothing to do with whether that player can beat the game. Either the game is +EV or it isn't. Changing the size of the BR does not change the EV of the game.

The only thing a large bankroll does is let a player absorb downswings a player with a smaller bankroll would not be able to absorb.

Paul
Old 11-22-2004, 02:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
A lot of people in this thread have been saying the game is only beatable if you have a large bankroll.

The size of a player's bankroll has absolutely nothing to do with whether that player can beat the game. Either the game is +EV or it isn't. Changing the size of the BR does not change the EV of the game.

The only thing a large bankroll does is let a player absorb downswings a player with a smaller bankroll would not be able to absorb.

Paul

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, yes and no. You are correct that the size of your stack has no effect on the EV, but would you want to sit down with a small bankroll and hope you get the cards in the first orbit or two? Not me. Plus, playing with a stack than cannot absorb the variance WILL affect the way you play if you are aware of such things, which may negatively affect your EV.