Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-22-2004, 12:31 PM

Default Re: Best NL HE player of all time?

I would hazard a guess that most of those polled in the wsop don't know what they were talking about.
Old 10-22-2004, 02:25 PM

Well done Ray. As Mason pointed out, NL has been all but dead for a long time. Few players that are "noted" due to the TV and tournaments are from those days of NL. Lucky Chances in the SF Bay Area has spread a 10-10-20 $40 to go NL game 3 days a week almost since they opened roughly 6 yrs ago. Booby Hoff would regularly fly up for this game. At times it was 3 tables deep.

I dont play that high. Never could. But I have dealt to almost all the names on Rays list. All in live cash games with millions on the table. Doyle, Bobby Baldwin, a real pleasure to watch and deal to.

1 name I didnt notice was Chip Reese. Personally I would add him to your list as well as yourself, but your to humble to do that.

Sailor I never had the pleasure to meet but I understand he was up there too.
Old 10-22-2004, 02:46 PM

Bigfishhead, I'm sure everyone would be interested to hear any stories you have from dealing to all those players if you're interested in sharing.
Old 10-22-2004, 03:00 PM

They are all gentleman at the table. Hell I am generally the no-talk type in these games, as it should be. Total silence unless asked. Yet they were comfortable enough with me, and I was with them I was able to 1 TIME ONLY, entertain them with a wisecrack that was applicable at the time. I have dealt pots with over 1/4 million cash value to these guys. And I treat those pots the same as if they were a $100 pot in a 3-6 game. Just without any comments. And I always called them by first name. Like when Bobby toked me a Greenbird when I sat down to deal and collect time. "Thanks Bobby", Thanks Guys". I am speaking of Bobby Baldwin, as Bobby Hoff has never thrown me a greenbird. : )

But I would never tell any stories of their actions out of respect and anonymity for them.
Old 10-23-2004, 01:54 PM

That is too bad for me but I respect that, you sound like a classy guy bigfishhead (no sarcasm).
Old 10-23-2004, 02:40 PM

As in other "bests" in poker categoties it is important to understand that there is a difference in skill versus great players and in skill versus average players. The player who is best against average players is very likely to not be the best against great players. Yet he is apt to be the most successful.
Old 10-23-2004, 04:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Well, Greg Raymer has the most WSOP earnings of all time, followed by Chris Moneymaker. There's your obvious numbers 1 and 2 right there.

[/ QUOTE ] You idiot

[/ QUOTE ]

Sarcasm Detectors on sale! ONLY $3995.95!

[/ QUOTE ]

wrong link
Sarcasm detector
Old 10-23-2004, 06:18 PM

Unless you got Chau Giang and Barry Greenstein together in a room and hooked them up to lie detectors how would you ever know which one has been more successful? They both have stellar reputations as being impossible to beat in side games, but when people like that IDIOT Chris Rose who hosts PSI says things like "Greenstein is the highest ranked cash player of the decade" it upsets me. Where are the rankings? I made a few grand this summer, where do I rank?
Old 10-23-2004, 06:20 PM

Rose said it wrong, but the reason BG is in PSI is due to his reputation in cash games amongst those who were automatically selected (Lederer, Cloutier, Brunson, Chan, etc.)
Old 10-23-2004, 06:23 PM

Dammit tell some good stories.