Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-05-2004, 04:09 PM

Default Re: Is this the best way to begin to learn Hold\'em? New Players Log

[ QUOTE ]
Leaks in my game.

I noticed that in PokerTracker I’m losing money with suited Aces ajs ats a9s a8s a7s a6s a5s.

The hands I lose the most with are Ats 65s 66 A5s A9s Ajs 98s J6s 44 K9s T5s

[/ QUOTE ]

You may or may not have leaks here. You can play Aces correctly and still lose, - that doesn't necessarily mean you have a leak. Also keep in mind you only have 3000 hands. As you read more here you'll notice that's simply just not enough hands to bring any conclusions about your play. I think the bare bare minimum is 10K before you can start to suspect something may be amiss.

Cards are fickle - just because you have the best of it going in, doens't mean you won't take the worst of it by the river.

I would suggest you back off from your poker tracker analysis - or at least tone it back a bit.

Two things I would look at - at this point.

Whats your VP$IP and what your cold calling with. -

If your cold calling with hands like KQo or ATo or Axs after a raiser - well those are leaks, and you won't need 10K to know that.

Good Luck

Sarge[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
Old 10-05-2004, 06:17 PM

AJs is fine UTG so is A9s. If you are getting raised and not many enter the flop then find a better table.

Dont raise ATs unless no one has entered the pot from MP3 depending on the table.

A8s is usually a limp for me also, anything lower and I want late position and a lot of limpers.

Axs with middle pair is a limp for 1sb as ancient says, you should be in late position so you wont get it raised often. Also the pot should be decent sized since you limped after a lot of callers.

If you hit 2 pair or trips on the turn you can bet, if you get the flush draw just call, but it really depends on how many players, pot size etc.
Old 10-05-2004, 08:07 PM

Yuck...Raise AJs and ATs no matter position no matter limpers no matter if it's folded around to you in early to late position...blinds are different
Old 10-05-2004, 08:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yuck...Raise AJs and ATs no matter position no matter limpers no matter if it's folded around to you in early to late position...blinds are different

[/ QUOTE ]

You're referring to limit, I was referring more towards NL. [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
Old 10-05-2004, 09:02 PM

Ah my bad.
Old 10-06-2004, 12:47 PM

Thanks for all the great advice!

I should have made this more clear from the beginning.

I mainly play Limit except for a couple of $2.50 SNG's I've played.
Once I have a good handle on limit Hold'em I want to learn to play NL too. It seem NL is much more exciting. Lots of people around here only play NL tournements. Although NL is where I'd like to end up evenually I've heard it said that you should learn limit first?

Thanks again for all the great advice.

My VP$IP is around 20% and my BB/100 is around -.1 (I've lost $30 during 3000 hands)

Derick
Old 10-06-2004, 01:33 PM

Yes you should learn limit first. Mistakes are less costly and the game is more mathematical.

After you feel comfortable playing limit (and are doing well) then you should give NL a try. Some things differ is that position matters a lot more in NL, and implied odds change for a few cards. Also, you need to adjust your playing hands depending on how loose / passive or tight / aggressive your table is.
Old 10-07-2004, 02:23 PM

3779 Hand Report:

I'm primed and ready to go.
I have set an objective to play 300 raked hands to finish clearing the Party Bonus. I have Pokertracker, SSH and the 2+2 to guide me. I sit down to crush the easy .5/1 Party fish tanks. I plan to leave any table that doesn't have at least 30% VP$IP.

Argggg!

I had my worse session yet.
My BB/100 is now -1.25
This has got to make me one of the worst 2+2 poster in history.

What should I do to try to improve?

Here's my stats.

Game Level .5/1
Total Hands 3779
Vol. Put $ In The Pot 18.44
Vol Put $ in From SB 33.77
Folded SB To Steal 81.82
Folded BB to Steal 86.82
Att. To Steal Blinds 17.31
Won $ WSF % 26.86 // Won $ When Saw Flop
Amount Won ($47.32)
BB/100 Hands (1.25)
Went To SD % 28.99
Won $ At SD 52.98
Total Rake 87.75

Saw Flop All Hands 25.19%
Saw Flop Not A Blind 16.50%

Raised Pre-Flop 5.99%

Limp/Call Reraise PF 0.00%

Aggression Factor
Pre-Flop 0.40
Flop 2.32
Turn 2.41
River 2.19
Total 1.14

Folded To River Bet 52.42%

When Folds Hand:
No Fold 10.55%
Pre-flop 74.47%
Flop 10.21%
Turn 2.98%
River 1.79%

Check Raises:

Times:8
% of Possible Action 0.32
Flop % 50
Turn % 50
River % 0

Thanks for everyone help so far.

Derick
Old 10-07-2004, 05:17 PM

Sample hands from my latest session:

Hand 1

My read on the UTG+1 is 31% VP$IP and 4.5% PFR

Party Poker 0.5/1 Hold'em (9 handed)

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
UTG folds, UTG+1 calls, MP1 calls, MP2 folds, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, CO folds, Button folds, <font color="CC3333">SB 3-bets</font>, BB folds, UTG+1 calls, MP1 calls, <font color="CC3333">Hero caps</font>, SB calls, UTG+1 calls, MP1 calls.

Flop: (17 SB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">SB bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">UTG+1 raises</font>, MP1 folds, <font color="CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">SB caps</font>, UTG+1 calls, Hero calls.

Turn: (14.50 BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">SB bets</font>, UTG+1 calls, Hero calls.

River: (17.50 BB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="CC3333">UTG+1 bets</font>, Hero calls, SB calls.

Final Pot: 20.50 BB

Hand 2

Button VP$IP is 66% PFR 1%
UTG VP$IP is 8% PFR 2% in 80 hands

Party Poker 0.5/1 Hold'em (9 handed)

Preflop: Hero is BB with J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
UTG calls, UTG+1 folds, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, MP3 calls, CO folds, Button calls, SB completes, Hero checks.

Flop: (5 SB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG calls, MP3 folds, Button calls, SB folds.

Turn: (4 BB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG calls, Button calls.

River: (7 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG calls, <font color="CC3333">Button raises</font>, Hero calls, UTG calls.

Final Pot: 13 BB

Party Poker 0.5/1 Hold'em (10 handed)

Preflop: Hero is BB with A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, UTG+2 folds, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, MP3 calls, CO folds, Button folds, SB folds, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP3 calls.

Flop: (4.50 SB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">MP3 raises</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: (4.25 BB) T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="CC3333">MP3 bets</font>, Hero calls.

River: (6.25 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">MP3 raises</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 10.25 BB

Hand 4

CO 8% VP$IP 2%PFR
Button 66% VP$IP 1%PFR

Party Poker 0.5/1 Hold'em (10 handed)

Preflop: Hero is SB with Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
UTG folds, UTG+1 calls, UTG+2 folds, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, MP3 folds, CO calls, Button calls, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, BB folds, UTG+1 calls, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, CO calls, Button calls.

Flop: (13 SB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(6 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG+1 calls, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, CO calls, <font color="CC3333">Button raises</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, UTG+1 folds, MP1 calls, MP2 folds, CO calls, Button calls.

Turn: (13.50 BB) A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP1 folds, CO calls, Button calls.

River: (16.50 BB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, CO calls, Button calls.

Final Pot: 19.50 BB
Old 10-09-2004, 08:47 PM

Your stats arent too bad, you might want to defend the blinds a bit more or people will keep taking shots at you.

Your PFR is a bit low should be around 8%.

Dont worry about being down. I am -2BB over a 2k hands after having a 100BB downswing. I am being a bit too aggressive (9.4%PFR) and its getting me into trouble, I am also having a problem folding TPTK against strength on the turn and river. (Add a few bad beats to the cause as well)

But I have plenty of time to learn and improve.