Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-03-2004, 08:56 PM

Default Re: Laying down the nuts...?

He is a good player as well as a friend. We have taken our fair share of pots from each other, I am not worried about cheating.
Old 09-03-2004, 08:58 PM

Default Re: why is this guy getting so much credit

If he respects my play at all (which I believe he does) he is not betting 5x the pot thinking he has a pair, maybe two... I think I would wait for a better spot than that.
Old 09-04-2004, 12:55 AM

Default Re: why is this guy getting so much credit

lol i cant believe you really think hes capable of putting you on KQ
Old 09-04-2004, 04:18 AM

seriously, random's post has to be the funniest thing i ever read in this forum.

I think even arguing for CONSIDERING folding here is just telling us how weakly you play, or how much you love your chips.

Intellectually, you know you must call. You must, or go home and take up contract bridge for money.

Nice call, whether you won or lost. Whether you won or lost is immaterial. That's the whole point of poker. LONG RUN.
Old 09-05-2004, 05:40 AM

I could make this laydown. I could do it. In fact, some day, I will. People will laugh, and scoff, but that is the nature of most people. They laugh and scoff and belittle.

Your hand is not the nuts and any hand that is not the nuts means you have to make a decision when another player goes all in. Take your time boychik, take your time. If he has AA, JJ, 10-10, and you call, he will not be mad you slow played him. If he's smart and understands, he will see it as a great compliment.

Has he ever done this before? Was it with a similiar hand (the nuts with redraws?). We can rule out 2-Pair, no? You say he's very good, so I presume so.

So what do we have left? AA, JJ, 10-10 and KQo, KQs, and KQc (has to be put in it's only special category). Of course you call all hands he has but KQc.

What does your pot raise mean to him? Would you bet out a set, or check to the pre flop raiser? Hopefully you don't always do the same thing ! (As I imagine you dont') so what have you been doing recently? Is their a trend, or just the ideal mix? Be honest!

Do you often bet out with the "so called" nuts?

What it comes down to I think is, if you would lay down a set to this sort of bet you should FOLD. If you feel you would call it, you should call. This presumes he has never done this sort of thing without the nuts AND redraws before. It also presumes you've had enough time playing with him to know.

Btw, if you do fold, fold face up : )
Old 09-05-2004, 08:00 AM

.....if you fold that hand face-up, you are going to get run over in hands by people who actually *saw* you make that lay-down (or heard about it....guaranteed people will talk about 'that guy they saw fold a made str8 on the flop') [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 09-05-2004, 07:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
.....if you fold that hand face-up, you are going to get run over in hands by people who actually *saw* you make that lay-down (or heard about it....guaranteed people will talk about 'that guy they saw fold a made str8 on the flop')

[/ QUOTE ]

And if you are a good player, you will realize that this was a special situation, and you'll never think about folding a made straight again, and you will make tons and tons of cash from people pushing over the top of you when you have those stone cold nuts
Old 09-05-2004, 08:00 PM

He's making a joke, you missed it. Point being that if you thought for a second about folding with that holding, when you did call people would think you were an [censored] for pretending to think about it.
Old 09-06-2004, 10:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I thought it was an excellent read/play on his part and wanted to know if anyone thought they could get away from this hand...

[/ QUOTE ]

This doesn't sound like an opponent whose raises you should be calling with KQs out of position.

I'd make the call, then get up and never play in the game again.
Old 09-07-2004, 01:49 AM

You talk about people betting large amounts of money against me when I have a better hand like it's a bad thing.