Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-10-2004, 05:17 PM

Default Re: With all of the grief that Phil Hellmuth gets.....

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I would like to see how Stu would do today against all the internet players who get into the WSOP main event for $25.

If Stu had lived longer, I doubt he would be anywhere near the legend he is now.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dude, he won 10 of the 30 big buy in($5000+) tourneys he played! That means he could lose in 20 straight WSOPs and he'd still be far and away the best ever, as winning 10 out of 50 is still pretty damn impressive.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not saying he wasn't great, but I am not sure he would be AS successful today in the big fields with people that are not afraid to go broke because they only paid $40 bucks to get into this $10K buy-in tournament.

I don't that that Jim Morrison, Marylin Monroe, or James Dean would be the legends they are today if they have lived.

To the poster that said I need to read more about him - you are right I do.
Old 08-10-2004, 06:34 PM

you guys seem to ignore hellmuth's two bracelets last year and his 7 or so moneys this year.
Old 08-10-2004, 06:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If he folds with the best of it only to get his money in later on an even bigger favorite then that is a gooooooooooooooood move imo.

[/ QUOTE ]

this discussion has been talked about ad naseum in the MTT forum, but the short of the long is that nobody is good enough to pass on a pair over pair preflop. Nobody. Period.
Old 08-10-2004, 07:08 PM

Now you're completely taking this out of context. I'm assuming you're referring to laying down QQ against 77 and his quote saying, "that's alright though because he could've spiked a 7 and I'd be out." It does not follow that if he had known his opponent had 77 that he would have folded. It sounds like he was trying to be optimistic and keep his game intact. He did not want to be in a coinflip situation against AK, even though it was also likely that the bettor had a middle pair. Not to mention the laydown paid off when someone tried to push him out with AT the very next hand.

Justin A
Old 08-10-2004, 07:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Now you're completely taking this out of context. I'm assuming you're referring to laying down QQ against 77 and his quote saying, "that's alright though because he could've spiked a 7 and I'd be out." It does not follow that if he had known his opponent had 77 that he would have folded. It sounds like he was trying to be optimistic and keep his game intact. He did not want to be in a coinflip situation against AK, even though it was also likely that the bettor had a middle pair. Not to mention the laydown paid off when someone tried to push him out with AT the very next hand.

Justin A

[/ QUOTE ]

symantics....and btw, he folded QQ again on that AT hand.
Old 08-10-2004, 08:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I would like to see how Stu would do today against all the internet players who get into the WSOP main event for $25.

If Stu had lived longer, I doubt he would be anywhere near the legend he is now.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dude, he won 10 of the 30 big buy in($5000+) tourneys he played! That means he could lose in 20 straight WSOPs and he'd still be far and away the best ever, as winning 10 out of 50 is still pretty damn impressive.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not saying he wasn't great, but I am not sure he would be AS successful today in the big fields with people that are not afraid to go broke because they only paid $40 bucks to get into this $10K buy-in tournament.

I don't that that Jim Morrison, Marylin Monroe, or James Dean would be the legends they are today if they have lived.

To the poster that said I need to read more about him - you are right I do.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well yes, then I definitely agree that he wouldn't be as successful just due to the sheer fact that there are so many more entrants nowadays. However, I disagree that he wouldn't be 'anywhere near the legend he is today.'
Old 08-10-2004, 08:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
If he folds with the best of it only to get his money in later on an even bigger favorite then that is a gooooooooooooooood move imo.

[/ QUOTE ]

this discussion has been talked about ad naseum in the MTT forum, but the short of the long is that nobody is good enough to pass on a pair over pair preflop. Nobody. Period.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with that definitely. But he only folded with QQ, so he could've feared AK. If he ever folds with KK(unless he has a good read that his opponent has AA), then I'll agree with you that he is playing way too conservatively.
Old 08-10-2004, 08:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Justin A

[/ QUOTE ]

ah sorry, didn't see this post when I posted pretty much the exact same thing right above.
Old 08-11-2004, 01:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Symantics?? You said he is not good enough to fold as a 4:1 favorite, and I'm telling you he didn't know he was a 4:1 favorite.

Oh, and don't correct me with wrong info. He called the AT with KK and doubled up. Nice try though.

Justin A
Old 08-11-2004, 09:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Symantics?? You said he is not good enough to fold as a 4:1 favorite, and I'm telling you he didn't know he was a 4:1 favorite.

Oh, and don't correct me with wrong info. He called the AT with KK and doubled up. Nice try though.

Justin A

[/ QUOTE ]

exactly...QQ is definitely a hand that a good tourney player can lay down since you fear AK.